UA and AA Upgrade Award Question

hightownCO

I haven't found the answer to my question on the airlines FAQ and I'm sure someone here will know.

If I purchase one way travel on either UA or AA - economy tickets for myself and daughter - will I be able to use MY mileage account to upgrade both tickets? Or does miles for her upgrade have to come from her account? Am not talking about the 500 mile upgrade certificates but the 15000 mile one/way upgrades.

Thanks in advance...

You can do it on UA. Have many times. In fact, trying to do it right now.

Hope you have better luck then a lot of people right now. Inventory Management has really clamped down lately compared to previous times.

Your basic fare that you pay "cash" for has to be a fare that the airlines deems "upgradeable".

Not all economy or coach fares are considered "upgradable"

With UA now most all fares are upgradable. Issue is in addtion to miles they want additional $$$ to bump you up. And on top of that there is very limited inventory as explained above.

To the OP, several of us could help look up invenory for you if you provide specific routes/date/class, etc. Or you can call UA and hope you can find a semi-intelligent agent who can help.

I haven't found the answer to my question on the airlines FAQ and I'm sure someone here will know.

If I purchase one way travel on either UA or AA - economy tickets for myself and daughter - will I be able to use MY mileage account to upgrade both tickets? Or does miles for her upgrade have to come from her account? Am not talking about the 500 mile upgrade certificates but the 15000 mile one/way upgrades.

Thanks in advance...

On AA the ability to upgrade is also based on your FF status.
You can use your account for mileage upgrades for others, no problem. On AA at least (and I think UA) the 500-milers can only be used for another if they're traveling with you.

Status usually only matters in terms of 500-mile upgrades for elites clearing before non-status pax on the upgrade waiting list. Usually with straight mileage u/gs you can clear at the time of booking if there's upgrade space showing.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

My booking window has not opened yet although getting close - traveling 3/12/11 - 3/20/11 to San Juan. So need to figure out what I'm doing soon.

Unfortunately, don't have enough miles in either program for Bus/First round trip tickets. Have 49K in UA and 35K in AA. Although if I buy 5k starpoints would be able to then put another 25k miles into AA or 12.5K into UA.

I may just suck it up and just get 2 econcomy saver awards (one way) out of both programs.

Decisions, decisions...But again, thanks for the info.

DW and I are flying down to MIA on AA next week. I have status on AA and put in for the upgrades. If the tickets are under the same PRN number, than it is pretty easy to use one person's upgrades for anyone on the PRN. Whether or not we get the upgrade is still up in the air, but we are hoping. Have done this in the past and never had a problem. If one person has status in AA or UA, it is best that that person books the tickets as well.

A very nice option both airlines offer now;)

It definately opens a lot of options up! I was very glad to see both programs doing one way awards now. :)

DW and I are flying down to MIA on AA next week. I have status on AA and put in for the upgrades. If the tickets are under the same PRN number, than it is pretty easy to use one person's upgrades for anyone on the PRN. Whether or not we get the upgrade is still up in the air, but we are hoping. Have done this in the past and never had a problem. If one person has status in AA or UA, it is best that that person books the tickets as well.

Unfortunately, I'm status-less

Archived