Witnessed Something Very Cool on Ryndam Last Week

exBFF

I know there's a whole world of staff behind the scenes doing stuff to make sure guests have a wonderful experience...but I saw something last week that took it to a whole new level in my book.

I get up insanely early (even on vacation) - and during our stop in St. Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala, I watched everyone preparing for guests to debark for the day's adventures.

BUT then I saw two Holland America crewmen (in their black slacks and green smocks) go onto each bus and van (that was waiting for passengers) with a bucket and some rags and give the vehicles an extra cleaning. They wiped down windows, rails, seats, etc. From my vantage point, everything already looked fine...but these crewmen went at it as if they were cleaning Holland America property.

I guess, in a way, they were - since the excursions were all booked through Holland America. But the fact that they did this (well before most passengers were awake...much less even preparing to debark) said something to me about the level of detail (and commitment) to which Holland America goes to ensure we have a great experience under their brand. It probably also was pre-cautionary to help minimize norovirus.

Either way, it meant a lot to me as a passenger...and it's definitely a level of detail that I'll keep in mind when booking future trips.

PS...for the record, I'm in no way affiliated with Holland America.

What a fabulous post. Thank you so much for sharing this.

I love when someone shares something special they see a HAL crew person do..... something about which we would have no idea they do to make things more comfortable, safe and pleasant for us.

It probably also was pre-cautionary to help minimize norovirus.

That's exactly what it was. I first noticed it on the Rotterdam eastern Med cruise last fall. HAL also gave out packs of Purell to take on the shore excursions.

Trying to keep the ship virus free any way they can. Good for them. And very good for us!

Thanks for that information.

I have a feeling that the crew was assigned to do this as I have never seen it down in the past -- to keep the Noro virus down.

They do this all of the time and have been for a while. In 2007 we took the Copper Canyon tour during our Sea of Cortez cruise and not only did the guys get up early (AND IT WAS EARLY!) to clean each of the 15 busses, another 5-6 guys came along on the entire tour and went through the train regularly wiping things down. We asked about it and were told that it was standard on this excursion. Sure enough, saw the same thing last year (got up early to see off the parents on the tour, but I went to the beach that time!) Then this January, we were on the Ryndam again and using the shoreside tenders into Belize. Before each tender was loaded with passengers, the housekeeping guys would go on and quickly do a wipe down of each handrail. I think that it comes down to the Chief Housekeeper and Hotel Manager too - but I think that we would be surprised at how much HAL does that we don't even see and take for granted when it comes to services provided off the boat.

They do this all of the time and have been for a while. In 2007 we took the Copper Canyon tour during our Sea of Cortez cruise and not only did the guys get up early (AND IT WAS EARLY!) to clean each of the 15 busses' date=' another 5-6 guys came along on the entire tour and went through the train regularly wiping things down. We asked about it and were told that it was standard on this excursion. Sure enough, saw the same thing last year (got up early to see off the parents on the tour, but I went to the beach that time!) Then this January, we were on the Ryndam again and using the shoreside tenders into Belize. Before each tender was loaded with passengers, the housekeeping guys would go on and quickly do a wipe down of each handrail. I think that it comes down to the Chief Housekeeper and Hotel Manager too - but I think that we would be surprised at how much HAL does that we don't even see and take for granted when it comes to services provided off the boat.[/quote']

Thanks for, once again, setting the record straight!;)

They do this all of the time and have been for a while. In 2007 we took the Copper Canyon tour during our Sea of Cortez cruise and not only did the guys get up early (AND IT WAS EARLY!) to clean each of the 15 busses' date=' another 5-6 guys came along on the entire tour and went through the train regularly wiping things down. We asked about it and were told that it was standard on this excursion. Sure enough, saw the same thing last year (got up early to see off the parents on the tour, but I went to the beach that time!) Then this January, we were on the Ryndam again and using the shoreside tenders into Belize. Before each tender was loaded with passengers, the housekeeping guys would go on and quickly do a wipe down of each handrail. I think that it comes down to the Chief Housekeeper and Hotel Manager too - but I think that we would be surprised at how much HAL does that we don't even see and take for granted when it comes to services provided off the boat.[/quote']

I've never noticed them doing it on any other excursion I was on but they for sure did it on the Copper Canyon one. I didn't notice them doing it on the bus but they sure kept the train spic and span!

Archived