Azamara Demographics

Zouave

My DH and I are in our early 40's we are booked for a B2B 24 days for the Med and Holy Land later this year

We are actively looking at the Red Sea or Antartica cruises in the future onboard AZ

I saw that you were on the Royal Princess

I have also spent 56 days on the Pacific Princess,

Hope this helps

Were on a 2 week Asia cruise on the Quest in January. We are in our mid 60's and I would guess most were between 50's to 70's, well traveled, good health and active. I don't remember seeing any walkers or wheel chairs, but even if there were, the cruise was active enough that I'm sure those people would have still traveled and enjoyed it. Some were younger and there were maybe 10 kids, not toddlers, on the cruise.

It was a good group.

On each cruise there is a different group of people. Longer cruises tend to attract older people with more money. They have time. Shorter cruises attract younger people who need to fit a vacation in with their work schedule. For example, I just sailed on the 10 day April 1 Journey cruise. The prices for the previous 12 day cruises were the same as the 10 day. 12 days vs. 10 days for the same money...usually the 12 day will win. Most people on the 10 day cruise were younger, still working, lots of TAs,and those who needed to fit a work schedule. The ship was not full...less than 500. My previous 14 day cruise , the group was much older and more seasoned travelers. On that cruise, I met a variety of people...not a bunch of TAs. Many of the TAs were nice, but some were really obnoxious trying to sell themselves.

If you ever come across a TA on a cruise trying to sell themselves, please tell the purser, manager, etc. This is a very strict rule of the cruise lines that this not be done and the agent could very well be put off at the next port. I always find it interesting that the truly professional agent doesn't do this. It's more the one who is only into it for the travel benefits (which aren't that great anymore by the way) and for the most part, I would not book a trip through them!

As others have said, very depenent on length of cruise and location.

April 09, best of Italy, very mixed ages and nationalities. Jan 10, Caribbean, Average age 70 to 90. Mostly Americans, Canadians and Britts with a small group of Germans. We felt like we were the kids on that one even though we are early 50's......

If you ever come across a TA on a cruise trying to sell themselves, please tell the purser, manager, etc. This is a very strict rule of the cruise lines that this not be done and the agent could very well be put off at the next port. I always find it interesting that the truly professional agent doesn't do this. It's more the one who is only into it for the travel benefits (which aren't that great anymore by the way) and for the most part, I would not book a trip through them!

Why on earth would anyone need to tell tales to the Purser. Surely a polite No Thanks is all that it would take. The thought that anyone could be put off the Ship for something like this horrifies me.

Brian

If you look in my past posts you can see my review of Azamara. The quality is amazing but we had a group that was between 28 - 32 and we were the youngest by 25 years at least. I took some heat for saying in my review that the average age is death....but I think you get my point.

Would say average age is around 50 on the ship...

Why on earth would anyone need to tell tales to the Purser. Surely a polite No Thanks is all that it would take. The thought that anyone could be put off the Ship for something like this horrifies me.

Brian

Brian..

1st off more than likely they are traveling on a discounted rate, they are being disrespectful to the cruise line and the other guests by approaching them

2nd off they have either been specifically asked not to discuss thier profession with anyone.

3rd or the implication that you should NOT discuss your profession has been part of the industry for over 60 years...My mom worked for American Airlines way back when and it was rule.

I worked in numerous leading hotels as the management staff and I worked for Larry and Classic Hawaii for many years. I have friends who've worked for the airlines...

and no time were you EVER allowed to discuss your employment with ANYONE...unless management approached you and it was done discreetly

This is also why, years ago when traditional dining

was your only option. All travel industry employees traveling on a discount through with the cruise line were seated at the same dining room table and EVEN THEN it was not discussed amongst yourself until you were

IN PORT!!!

If you did discuss all privledges for your agency, hotel, airline could be revoked and you especially would be banned to travel on a discount.

Agent and interline rates can be VERY generous on ships

These TA's broke any stated rules or at the very list the known code of coduct in the travel/hospitality industry. If they are unable to be professional WHEN THEY ARE TRAVELING ON A REDUCED RATE..which is essentially a gift, then they don't deserve to be on the ship.

It horrifies me that travel agents think they can do this and get away with it. It's one thing to say no thanks, to the kids selling chiclets, the carpet salesmen in Turkey, and even the spa girls selling me stuff to make me look 30 years younger....It's another thing to have to say it to my fellow passenger who's trying to sell me something

(their services) that I will now see repeatedly on this small ship.

and for the record ...I'm not a travel agent, never have been and never will be. I don't use them, because they aren't what they use to be and I book all my stuff direct.

The last time I used a travel agent was for our honeymoon

4 years ago it was A MAJOR one that you buy your car insurance through. They provide the maps and books we all love.

They put 12.00 dollars down on our Honeymoon cruise

instead of 1200.00 for deposit. The cruiseline had cancelled our Honeymoon, because of insufficient deposit

I found this out when I was on another cruise 3 months before our wedding ..trying to

relax from all the wedding stress...

Well I get your point but in 2 O and 2 Az cruises I have never encountered the problem.

Last year we joined our TA on a med cruise and from what you are saying I assume they travelled on a discounted fare.....but truthfully I could care less. What I had was a great time with great people.

I also think that the supposed rules are daft.......why should someone I am travelling with NOT be able to tell me they work for American or Azamara or a travel agent.....what difference to me.

Should a doctor not tell me what he does because of a code of ethics....truthfully life is way too short to worry about this.

Peace and love

Brian

No, there's nothing wrong with saying you work for an airline, etc., but it really is in poor taste for a travel agent to try and solicit clients on a cruise and that is straight forward by any cruiseline standards.

While on the April 1 Journey cruise, we had the opportunity to speak with several employees of RCCL. The projected future target for Azamara is 40- 50 with income of $300K+. They want to attract a wealthier, younger cruise group for the future. They claim that although older people are welcome on board, they would like to extend their image to be luxury for younger people. Not sure if this will happen. My 2009 cruise was 14 nights in Europe. Many older people. My 2010 cruise was 10 nights Miami with some younger people. It was also during Easter break period. Their desired demographics may or may not happen. Each cruise attracts a different group for a variety of features. I just hope that they keep the target that DISTRACTS FAMILIES WITH KIDS. For me, sailing during Easter break without kids was great. I like kids. When I sail with my kids and grandkids, I sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Azamara's attraction for me is NO KIDS.

I do work for an airline, and while it's true they frown on your talking about the discount rates, there really are no longer strict rules about it. That being said, Azamara hasn't really offered interline rates to airline employess (I think that may be changing in the future if they continue with their new price structures). So I would have no problem saying that I worked for an airline if asked- no different than saying someone was an engineer etc. While the travel benefits can be wonderful it is becoming harder and harder to use them and many of us are no longer relying on them for our vacations.

our february carib cruise average age was 70......not a kid anywhere in sight...

that is why we love azamara...older folks are ok...

we had the pool to ourselves...you could hear yourself talk at the pool area...

very quiet..lovely...and of course that is what we are paying for...

Azamara hasn't really offered interline rates to airline employess (I think that may be changing in the future if they continue with their new price structures).

Azamara HAS offered interline rates to airline employees in the past. I know this because we met a pilot and his wife on an Azamara cruise and they were traveling on interline rates.

There were so many travel agents on board, it got to a point that if you met somebody who wasn't an agent, it was an event. I was also annoyed at the agents who were trying to pump for information and/or sell themselves. I even had one who tried to get me to sign up to become an agent. "You can travel cheap." Made me feel like I was the only one on board who didn't get a write-off or a deal. Woe is me. I'd love to know when they plan to sell off cheap to TAs. I don't want to be on that cruise. I like to travel.. not be grilled by agents. As a result, we often asked for a table for 2. Every time we sat with a larger group, there were TAs who wanted to talk business.

Brian

I agree. Punishment does need to fit the "crime". I also think that a bit of empathy should prevail in this siuation.

When I booked our travel I asked if Azamara did any interline and was answered with a firm no. So- I'm sure it has happenend, and I think it will be soon (if it isn't already). It has long been a tool of the travel industry to get some revenue for otherwise unsold stock, and it sounds like Azamara isn't selling as well as other cruises. That being said, it has always been something you really aren't supposed to talk about, so it's surprizing to hear that travel agents were so open about it.

Well I get your point but in 2 O and 2 Az cruises I have never encountered the problem.

Last year we joined our TA on a med cruise and from what you are saying I assume they travelled on a discounted fare.....but truthfully I could care less. What I had was a great time with great people.

I also think that the supposed rules are daft.......why should someone I am travelling with NOT be able to tell me they work for American or Azamara or a travel agent.....what difference to me.

Should a doctor not tell me what he does because of a code of ethics....truthfully life is way too short to worry about this.

Peace and love

Brian

Some rules make sense; some rules need to be tempered with some common sense and compassion. I realize that having someone try to sell you a product while you are on a cruise may not be desirable but, as you mentioned, you can always say "No, thanks" and never have to deal wih that person again. Speaking for myself, I would feel terribly guilty to think that I caused someone such an inconvenience and hardship because of a breach of industry etiquette which did me no harm at all.

Back to the subject of the OP: On our recent Azamara cruise most passengers were between 50-70, very few younger singles and couples and only one child!

When I booked our travel I asked if Azamara did any interline and was answered with a firm no. So- I'm sure it has happenend, and I think it will be soon (if it isn't already).

Happened???? Azamara, and many other cruise lines, have been doing this for many years. Right now there are fantastic interline rates on Seabourn in the Far East. How about $1,500 for a 10 day Seabourn cruise? Or $1,050 for 7 day in the Med. A 13 day TA on SeaDream Yacht Club is $1,399. All plus tax, of course. I can find 7 Azamara cruise at interline rates. THIS IS NOTHING NEW.

Of course other cruise lines have done it for years. When I looked at Azamara I couldn't find anything and I called and asked Azamara, they said that at that time they really weren't doing interline rates. They had done a good job of selling cabins and didn't have a need too. As I said, with current capacity levels, I'm sure that's changing- I haven't looked lately.

Of course other cruise lines have done it for years. When I looked at Azamara I couldn't find anything and I called and asked Azamara, they said that at that time they really weren't doing interline rates. They had done a good job of selling cabins and didn't have a need too. As I said, with current capacity levels, I'm sure that's changing- I haven't looked lately.

With all the other misinformation we have all gotten when we've called Azamara, I'm surprised that you'd trust them on this. I know someone who has an interline travel agency - and she's offered interline deals on Azamara from the beginning. Maybe you just didn't look hard enough.;)

With all the other misinformation we have all gotten when we've called Azamara, I'm surprised that you'd trust them on this. I know someone who has an interline travel agency - and she's offered interline deals on Azamara from the beginning. Maybe you just didn't look hard enough.;)

You are absolutely right about this! I didn't persue it as I am traveling with a large family group who wouldn't qualify anyway. Yes, I've noticed that calling Azamara and asking about anything is next to useless (I've been trying to get a new brochure since they came out- they've been "on their way" so many times- I even got a delivery date that didn't happen. At this point it's almost funny!) Serves me right for believing them about anything!

You qualify for interline rates, when they are available.

I would highly recommend you dial down the negativity...

You could be setting yourself up for a blackball...

and don't think they can't figure out who you are ....

beside the fact, it's highly unprofessional and shows

a total lack of appreciation to what is extended to you

when available.

Archived