Warning to folks buying booze onboard

MamaTene

Lemur - I agree with you there, I'd definately have had the charges reversed. But if I would have heard a carnival employee saying I could by my bottle of tequila and take it to my room, then told I couldn't after I bought it, I'd feel cheated, but definately would have returned it. Probrably would have heard people cussing about it before I bought it anyways, but not really the point.

Cheated? I don't know if I'd go that far. I'd definitely lose some confidence in Carnival's employees abilities to do their jobs competently and make it a point of asking the person why they told me I could take my liquor with me to clarify his or her claims with the person at the register. But that's just me, I guess.

I 100% agree with you. I am a first time cruiser and find that there is alot of things I do not know so I come on here to learn from all of the other cruisers. Just because some people may have already known this information, there are some of us who learn alot from these types of posts, so thank you for your post Mamatene.

I'm with you. It's been a long time since my last cruise (which was my first cruise :D), so this was news to me, too. I could have easily misunderstood how the sale of that duty free alcohol works. It probably wouldn't bother me because we will drink whatever we buy when we get home, but every little bit of info helps. :) Thanks!!!!

Just returned from Glory. They have a "special" on first evening I believe (might be second night). Low Low price ...great deal right? What they dont tell you is that you CANNOT bring it to your cabin for consumption during the week. They deliver it to you on last night of the cruise.

In most cases it's pretty well posted that they deliver it to you on the last night. Only really works if you're doing a back to back. Real well. :rolleyes:

OK - should have went with bummed, but anyways, I still think the OP did a good service to those who are new to cruising, especially since I think I read the OP said this was happening outside the store, they may not have seen the signs. I just can't believe how much stuff the OP was taking just because she wanted to help some people out. But I guess thats just me.:D

OK - should have went with bummed, but anyways, I still think the OP did a good service to those who are new to cruising, especially since I think I read the OP said this was happening outside the store, they may not have seen the signs. I just can't believe how much stuff the OP was taking just because she wanted to help some people out. But I guess thats just me.:D

Totally agree with you on that one. There's a first time for everybody for everything. Sometimes some of the old fogies around here need to remember that, and also that not everyone posts here or reads every single post here.

Totally agree with you on that one. There's a first time for everybody for everything. Sometimes some of the old fogies around here need to remember that, and also that not everyone posts here or reads every single post here.

Well put. Maybe retirement is so boring they need to liven it up by bullying people on message boards....sad, really.

OLD FOGIES!!! Elder abuse, elder abuse!! This is awful, really awf... s'cuse me I have to go pee.

What was the subject again??:confused:

From what I understand reading these comments, the people that bought the liquor were specifically told they could take it to their room immediately, then after they purchase it, they have it taken from them and told that they'll get it the last night per carnival rules. I'd feel taken advantage of too if they did that to me. Regardless of the signs posted, carnival employees are advertising it that you can take it right away and that is not the case. (Bait and switch)

That's pretty much how everyone was taking it from what I witnessed. These folks were pretty upset.

Yep...the "sale" indeed did take place outside of the store. They had tables set up with the different types of alcohol for sale with the price noted.

SO this is a very interesting thread! :) There is always a way to get the booze to your room!! :cool: Make sure you become friends with the right people!! Thats always a good start :D the bar manager or my favorite is the HOTEL DIRECTOR. NEED I GO ON!! I have found many ways to bend the rules :eek: i say BEND HE HE :rolleyes:

I was thinking more of brownies.

When I ask a question to which "everyone knows the answer," I just apologize beforehand! Snarky is definitely a word I would use for some of the members. If I were four years old, I would call them poo poo heads. :p

I was thinking more of brownies.

When I ask a question to which "everyone knows the answer," I just apologize beforehand! Snarky is definitely a word I would use for some of the members. If I were four years old, I would call them poo poo heads. :p

HA! Poo poo heads! I like it! :D

Just returned from Glory. They have a "special" on first evening I believe (might be second night). Low Low price ...great deal right? What they dont tell you is that you CANNOT bring it to your cabin for consumption during the week. They deliver it to you on last night of the cruise.

Thanks for the tip! This is great info for a first time cruiser who may think by buying it on board allows them to drink it on board also.

For vet cruisers, old info that we are already aware of.

I explained this to my friend who is traveling with me this weekend on a cruise on any booze she buy on the ship.

P.S. Also told her not to leave it outside the door on the last night that we have to take it off ourselves!!!

First I have to say that I love this site and have learned ALOT from here. I don't post very often, just kind of lurk around, and this thread shows the exact reason why I don't. Why do some of you people find the need to drag this person through the mud for trying to share something that they learned. Congrats that you and most others already knew this info. Obviously the OP did not, and I'm sure that many new members and new cruisers will not, and will have just learned something that will keep them from being disappointed when their trip comes around.

If you already know what is being posted, or don't like the topic I have a simple solution..That little arrow in the top left corner of your window will take you away from this page. There is no need to make someone feel dumb for posting something that they thought might help someone

You haven't seen the worst one yet. ;)

The difference between BV and room service on board is......you have to pay the %15 grat on top of the alcohol price is you order on board. Through BV you don't have to pay for the extra tip.:)

Yes, excellent point. Thank you for pointing that out.

My intention is to order the basics from BV; but if my wife or I should be more thirsty than expected, I'd like an alternative other than paying by-the-drink or over-ordering from BV.

If you forget to order through the Bon Voyage Department, you can order it through Room Service, then the $18 bottle costs you $46, 15% gratuity is added to the $40.

Or you can smuggle it on. Flame away.

Another good and helpful comment, thank you. I know they make up for room prices on liquor. I can handle a $17 bottle of tequila costing $40, or $45 if I misjudge. I do want to gripe about Malibu "Rum" -- 42proof, $55 a liter via BV. Local price is $14 a liter, $17 for a 1.75liter including sales tax in GA. That's a 300% mark-up on something half as strong as regular liquor? :eek: I can live without it for a few days.

As to smuggling, that is always an option for those who choose to do so. For various reasons, I'm not inclined to do so this time. For those that choose to do so, "buy" me a drink and I'll toast your success. :D

Thanks again to all.

• 3 weeks later...

The original poster did first time cruisers a favor. I saw this happen to my son-in-law on his first cruise. He had read the rules. They had been in the shop the first evening.

On the second or third evening, there were tables outside the shops with large signs advertising very low priced duty free bottles.

My son-in-law asked the clerk, "Then, you keep the bottle until our last night, right?" The answer was , "Oh, no sir. If you buy it, you take it."

He bought. He was handed off to a different clerk, who did not hand him the bottle after he signed for the purchase. He asked for the bottle and was told it would be kept for him until the last night.

He protested politely, but firmly, and was given credit for the purchase. He also wrote a letter to someone on the ship, reporting the behavior of the first clerk. He also warned other passengers that evening.

Yes, excellent point. Thank you for pointing that out.

My intention is to order the basics from BV; but if my wife or I should be more thirsty than expected, I'd like an alternative other than paying by-the-drink or over-ordering from BV.

Good idea not to over order from BV. I've seen very experienced crusiers/drinkers end up leaving huge amounts of booze "for the Stewards*" even after last day "drink up the booze" partys.

* Pretty much amounts to wasting booze as a huge majority of Stewards are from non-drinking religions.

The store always kind of remind of the old Soviet Union -- Plenty of mercahndise in the windows and nothing for sale. It is pretty silly to stock the shlves with dozens of bottles of the same thing, when it's really not for sale. They are just traking orders.

To the "It's always been this way" crowd -- no it hasn't. You could buy and take it back to your cabin on RCCL and Carnival. They used to have a two tier pricing system - the price was higher if you wanted to take it to your cabin -- no more than normal grocery store prices. (in the old days it was really duty free type prices. We don't buy aboard because the prices are pretty much the same as Costco in San Diego. It may be cheaper than other states, but not worth the effort in CA.

Archived