Warning to folks buying booze onboard

MamaTene

Yes. They will let you bring on a 'resonable amount' or mixer. I might bring a twelver or soda instead of 2ltr bottles, but bringing soda is not a problem. Carry it on.

Very cool.. I love boards like this. We went to Playa Del Carmen 2 years ago and I found a board like this. It is priceless, love all the info I can get.. Thanks! ;)

Very cool.. I love boards like this. We went to Playa Del Carmen 2 years ago and I found a board like this. It is priceless, love all the info I can get.. Thanks! ;)

Oh, hey, one more thing and sorry if you already know this......you can bring a bottle of wine per person as well, when you get on the ship, without a problem. Just make sure it's in your carry on as well.:)

Oh, hey, one more thing and sorry if you already know this......you can bring a bottle of wine per person as well, when you get on the ship, without a problem. Just make sure it's in your carry on as well.:)

Very cool too.. I can do wine.. Thanks! ;)

HOLY COW people. I couldn't read past the 3rd page.

Why don't we just tar, feather, stone AND hang this person for posting stuff you know or is common knowledge.

I read lots of posts here and let me tell you, there are times when I'm rolling my eyes and saying jeeze they didn't know this? Or why the heck is this even pertinent to a cruise site? But unlike some around here I'm way too polite to post it to them.

MamaTene I'm so sorry people were so rude to you. And for being brave enough to post something you thought might help people.

Please don't stop posting. Some people here believe they have a right to be jerks on here, and I guess they gotta be what they are :D

But others enjoy the exchange of info and ideas, even if they aren't original to some of us, someone that is new may learn something, so it's all good.

Cheers, Carole

The HISTORY of buying bottles from the liquor shop on board:

In Carnival's very early years, and most if not all other lines, you bought your booze and took it with you to your cabin. The booze was duty free and there were very few 'discount' liquor stores on land then, so the savings was considerable.

As time passed and ratty little accountants chained to their desks realized that cruiselines were losing bar sales from this policy, the policy was adjusted.

The new way was that you bought at duty free prices, but it was delivered on the last day as it is now, OR, you paid a $10.00 PREMIUM and took it to your cabin.

Some lines went this way some did not.

Still the ratty little accountants snarled, as did marketing and the risk management people. The first said, "We're STILL losing bar sales!!" Marketing complained that the Drunken Party Boat rep. was making family sales impossible. The lawyers said that control must be maintained over booze or the liability possibilities were enormous.

And thus, we arrive at the long standing and today's highly restrictive policy. Last day delivery.:p:p

I use BV and love it! Well worth the cost.

Anyone with any specific knowledge about whether you can order liquor by the bottle through room service while on board?

I've seen a couple references to it here, but nothing substantial, just "I heard that..." sort of stuff. Anyone know for sure?

I intend to order via Bon Voyage for a May sailing, but I don't want to order too much. At $40-$55 a liter for stuff that's $15-20 per liter locally, I don't want to have a bunch of "leftovers" to bring home. Yes, I've considered smuggling with rumrunners, but thats not my first choice. The additional savings over BV isn't worth the risk of ill will from my lovely wife of getting caught.

Edit: I did find this thread with more info. Any ship specific info would be good to know.

First I have to say that I love this site and have learned ALOT from here. I don't post very often, just kind of lurk around, and this thread shows the exact reason why I don't. Why do some of you people find the need to drag this person through the mud for trying to share something that they learned. Congrats that you and most others already knew this info. Obviously the OP did not, and I'm sure that many new members and new cruisers will not, and will have just learned something that will keep them from being disappointed when their trip comes around.

If you already know what is being posted, or don't like the topic I have a simple solution..That little arrow in the top left corner of your window will take you away from this page. There is no need to make someone feel dumb for posting something that they thought might help someone

BZ...many thanks for telling it as it should've been told like nine posts or more ago. With me being a newbie to CCL (former RCL veteran on the boards) this is the first time I've seen experienced cruisers give a less experienced cruiser such a hard time. Noting commenters who say stuff like "a million posts on this topic and you didn't know?" to "DUH" tells me that there's still some rude folk in CC that will mock if your question seems "dumb" to them.

If some looked back - we were all novice cruisers one time or another and we'd hate to be treated this way.

I wish the OP all the best - and there is no such thing as a stupid question. The forums are set up for questions, this is how we all learned!

Anyone with any specific knowledge about whether you can order liquor by the bottle through room service while on board?

I've seen a couple references to it here, but nothing substantial, just "I heard that..." sort of stuff. Anyone know for sure?

I intend to order via Bon Voyage for a May sailing, but I don't want to order too much. At $40-$55 a liter for stuff that's $15-20 per liter locally, I don't want to have a bunch of "leftovers" to bring home. Yes, I've considered smuggling with rumrunners, but thats not my first choice. The additional savings over BV isn't worth the risk of ill will from my lovely wife of getting caught.

Yes, you can. You can order 'bar set ups' through the Guest Services Desk for the same cost as through Bon Voyage... $40 to $55 for an $18 or $20 bottle of booze. It will be delivered to your cabin as long as you're in international waters.

:)

And you feel this was worth warning people about? :confused: Maybe you should also tell them not to run with sissors. :rolleyes:

The OP just didn't know. The thread has turned into a good topic though but do we really need to flame? Give the OP a break.

The OP just didn't know. The thread has turned into a good topic though but do we really need to flame? Give the OP a break.

Exactly. I'm sure there are a ton of things that are common knowledge to some of us on the board but totally foreign to others. Folks need to stop thinking that making fun of someone is funny when the other person isn't an active participant in the joke.

I wish the OP all the best - and there is no such thing as a stupid question. The forums are set up for questions, this is how we all learned!

No such thing as a stupid question, but not true about the answers. I see it did help some people though, so thanks for the post!:D

Yes, you can. You can order 'bar set ups' through the Guest Services Desk for the same cost as through Bon Voyage... $40 to $55 for an $18 or $20 bottle of booze. It will be delivered to your cabin as long as you're in international waters.

Aha. Therein lies the trick -- I'd searched a dozen different ways, but "bar set-ups" never came to mind. Now that I search that term I see I could have found my answer. :o

Thanks so much for the help!

From what I understood from the group in the store, they were NOT advised until AFTER they had already purchased the bottles that they COULDNT take it with them. They were under the impression that they would be taking the purchase along with them at the time they charged it to their sign and sail.
Still doesn't answer how they "Fell Prey" first you said they were told they could take their purchases with them by what I think was a VERY good commissioned salesperson. Then you change your story to they thought they could. Either way, they got what they paid for, just not when they thought they were getting it. And they would have KNOWN, if they would have read the rules.

I recall seeing a sign in the duty free shops stating that you could not take alcohol with you at that time.

Anyime you're ready for round #3, just ring the bell.

Exactly. I'm sure there are a ton of things that are common knowledge to some of us on the board but totally foreign to others. Folks need to stop thinking that making fun of someone is funny when the other person isn't an active participant in the joke.

Even though this will be our fourth cruise, I still feel I'm a novice, especially since this is our first cruise w/CCL. Still in learning mode. I learn something new every day in this forum and I bet that we all do each time we read in here.

And you feel this was worth warning people about? :confused: Maybe you should also tell them not to run with sissors. :rolleyes:

Be nice Wolfie! I think it was worth a warning, since there are some of us here for whom this is new information- like myself! And it is especially good to know since some posters have mentioned 1 person selling the liquor saying yes- it can be taken to the room, while others selling it say no.

Anyway, I for one would like to thank the OP for the heads up...guess I'll just need to keep saving up my pennies for the drinks at the bar...:(

Edit: I did find this thread with more info. Any ship specific info would be good to know.

The difference between BV and room service on board is......you have to pay the %15 grat on top of the alcohol price is you order on board. Through BV you don't have to pay for the extra tip.:)

Just returned from Glory. They have a "special" on first evening I believe (might be second night). Low Low price ...great deal right? What they dont tell you is that you CANNOT bring it to your cabin for consumption during the week. They deliver it to you on last night of the cruise.

uh, yeah, they do. And it's usually posted on large signs in the store.

Still doesn't answer how they "Fell Prey" first you said they were told they could take their purchases with them by what I think was a VERY good commissioned salesperson. Then you change your story to they thought they could. Either way, they got what they paid for, just not when they thought they were getting it. And they would have KNOWN, if they would have read the rules.

I recall seeing a sign in the duty free shops stating that you could not take alcohol with you at that time.

Anyime you're ready for round #3, just ring the bell.

From what I understand reading these comments, the people that bought the liquor were specifically told they could take it to their room immediately, then after they purchase it, they have it taken from them and told that they'll get it the last night per carnival rules. I'd feel taken advantage of too if they did that to me. Regardless of the signs posted, carnival employees are advertising it that you can take it right away and that is not the case. (Bait and switch)

From what I understand reading these comments, the people that bought the liquor were specifically told they could take it to their room immediately, then after they purchase it, they have it taken from them and told that they'll get it the last night per carnival rules. I'd feel taken advantage of too if they did that to me. Regardless of the signs posted, carnival employees are advertising it that you can take it right away and that is not the case. (Bait and switch)

And at what point do these people who allegedly fell prey said "Hey, I don't want to do that" and asked to have the charge taken off their SnS account and return the liquor?

Sounds to me like a combination of several things -- an over-heard incident, a lack of attention on the parts of several parties, and a general lack of knowledge.

If you forget to order through the Bon Voyage Department, you can order it through Room Service, then the $18 bottle costs you $46, 15% gratuity is added to the $40.

Or you can smuggle it on. Flame away.

Lemur - I agree with you there, I'd definately have had the charges reversed. But if I would have heard a carnival employee saying I could by my bottle of tequila and take it to my room, then told I couldn't after I bought it, I'd feel cheated, but definately would have returned it. Probrably would have heard people cussing about it before I bought it anyways, but not really the point.

Archived