Iceland volcanic eruption

duct tape

We saw Fenway Park from the 50th floor of the Prudential building while out and about doing tourist things.

The marathon training consisted of:-

Five square meals a day,

A wee touch too much to drink,

Strolling from meals to pool to suite and sometimes to a tour bus,

And maybe a wee dook in the pool.

Serious now.

We know how lucky we have been and also to be in one of the first flights to go.

At this moment my wife is composing the official letter of thanks to Silversea.

Rocchi

Does anyone have concerns about northern Europe (Norway, Scotland, Iceland) cruises over the summer? We are seriously considering rearranging cruises to avoid it. Am I overreacting? Thanx.

You asked and I'll share what I have learned from some posts on the Northern Europe and England boards. People on the ground there in all of these areas have been very specific that there were no problems on the ground or in the air for travelers or residents in these various areas during that mid April period. (Don't know about Iceland.) Skies were clear, no dust falling, etc., in the UK, Norway, Netherlands, etc.

The problem was with the airports closing for six days and people not able to get there and/or back. Now, there has been more reporting that some in power for Europe might have over-reacted with the wide range of closings. From the Wall Street Journal this week, here's the headline on the column by their airline expert: "How One Airline Skirts the Ash Clouds". The article details include: "Alaska Airlines knows volcanic ash. Its decades of experience navigating around volcanic eruptions in Washington and Alaska could prove useful as airlines return to Europe's ash-plagued skies. Among the lessons: Pilot training, computer modeling to accurately predict ash trajectories and regular testing of the skyways when eruptions occur are crucial to maintaining safety and keeping planes flying. The Alaska Airlines experience suggests a volcanic eruption in Iceland doesn't have to ground all flights in Northern Europe—there are ways to work around it."

Well-respected reporter Scott McCartney also noted: "Instead, the Iceland crisis resulted in a blanket closure of a huge swath of airspace, rather than a more targeted, scientific approach in which some routes are found to be clear of ash and left open. Governments were slow to understand the world-wide impact of the shutdown and based decisions to close airspace on theoretical models with little data collected or few tests done, complained Giovanni Bisignani, director general and chief executive of the International Air Transport Association, a Geneva-based airline-industry group."

I feel fairly confident that things will work out fine for us in early July. Plus, I'm a little biased and want to have a drink with the "real duct tape". Good question, but I think you're overreacting a little based on the facts we know now. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In the case of our stranded friends from the UK who had a difficult time getting home after their Caribbean cruise, I am very happy to see that Silversea complied with the EU Package Travel Directive and fulfilled its legal responsibilities towards its passengers.

Other cruise lines, such as Celebrity and RCCL, did not act properly in this regard.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I am not concerned about our scheduled trips to Stockholm, Copenhagen and Norway in June and July. I am going anyhow. I am concerned about going to Iceland, itself, in August. We sail London-Rej.-Rej- London. Volcanoes are SO unpredictable!

I am not concerned about our scheduled trips to Stockholm, Copenhagen and Norway in June and July. I am going anyhow. I am concerned about going to Iceland, itself, in August. We sail London-Rej.-Rej- London. Volcanoes are SO unpredictable!

Glad to hear you're solid for the June-July travels, including with us on July 1-16. YES, "Volcanoes are SO unpredictable!" Well summarized. You're much, much more the Silversea experienced expert/veteran than me, but I would guess that they will "adapt" and adjust the schedules and options as needed if there is an on-the-ground problem that they need to sail around, etc. Just like the Alaska Airlines people, they have already been thinking about "Plan B" and "Plan C", if and if. Is that a good guess?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I disembarked the Silver Wind on the 16th, planning to fly home on the 18th. When the flight was cancelled, I had a few anxious days. The Silversea port agent finally called me on Monday night and told me they had me booked on the first flights out, from Venice to JFK on Thursday, and to check out of my hotel and go to the Monaco. So- they put me up at their expense at a very costly ultra-luxury hotel for the next two days, and provided an expensive water taxi to get me to the airport.

The moral= have the cruise line arrange your air travel.

• 2 months later...

In the June 14th on line edition of the New York Times there was a well written article on travel insurance that I thought would be of interest to others. Following is the link for the artilce.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/travel/20prac.html

I know the issue of insurance came up on this thread regarding the volcanic ash and it comes up from time to time so I thought that some of our fellow Cruise Critic members might find the article to be helpful to them.

Keith

Archived