Recipe request: Coconut and Nutmeg Soup (a cold one)

trvlcrzy

Last week on the Ryndam, we had a wonderful cold soup. It was delightful. We have enjoyed many cold soups onboard in the past, and we have made a few at home to try to recapture the memory.

Online searches have been unsuccessful. This one was sweet, not savory.

Anyone have any information? I wish I had asked for the recipe at the time.

The party planner was supposed to get the recipe for the salty dough (for making bread animals) out for those who attended the cooking demonstration, but that recipe never appeared. There was a request for a bread treat (sp?? Ensemada... similar shape/appearance to a cinnamon roll, but with sugar and cheese sprinkled on top) served during the extravaganza. That recipe never appeared either. :(

Any ideas for the coconut soup? It didn't have the texture of coconut in it, so I'm thinking coconut milk. ?:confused:?

I'm gonna take a wild stab here, and ask if there was any type of "texture" to it at all -- is it possible it had pureed pears in it? (And yes, I suspect it would be coconut milk, with something else, to cut down the "thickness" of the coconut milk)

The feel of it was like regular cow's milk -- as far as smoothness and thickness. There wasn't any "grit" to it... not grated coconut or anything like that. Grated nutmeg garnished the top.

I expected it to taste similar to a Pina NotSoColada, but it didn't. (I'd had a cold soup on Princess that did taste that way.) HAL's was much better than that!

DH isn't a fan of coconut, but he loved this soup. The coconut flavor was not overpowering at all. It was subtle but DEEEEE-licious!

Like you, the Chilled Coconut Nutmeg Soup was one of my favorites. The wonderful chef on the Oosterdam gave me a copy of his recipe. You will have to adjust the proportions accordingly, as his recipe below serves 40:

1 US quart Coconut Ice Cream

24 oz. Canned Cream of Coconut Milk

1 US quart 1.5% Milk

32 oz Plain Yogut

1 1/2 Quart Lowfat Milk Tetra Pack (My DIL who is an RDN says this is the same as evaporated milk so that's what I used with no problem)

3 oz pure vanilla

2 ounces ground nutmeg

1 1/2 lbs flaked coconut

Combine all the above ingredients into a large blender except the nutmeg and flaked coconut. Blend well until smooth. Remove and place into the refrigerator and cool well (at least overnight).

Ladle soup into chilled soup cups and garnish with coconut and nutmeg.

I cut this by 1/3 and it tasted wonderful.

Hope this helps and enjoy! :D

Edited by luvs2travl

Hope this helps and enjoy! :D

Yummm. This may have just made it on the menu for this weekend, and I'm thinking that enough for 40 might just take care of DH and me with a little left over for my mother (hee, hee). The only difficulty would be a blender and container big enough to hold the 40 servings... I'll try your pared down method.

Thank you SO much for this! CC is so great.

Edited by trvlcrzy

Yummm. This may have just made it on the menu for this weekend, and I'm thinking that enough for 40 might just take care of DH and me with a little left over for my mother (hee, hee). The only difficulty would be a blender and container big enough to hold the 40 servings... I'll try your pared down method.

Thank you SO much for this! CC is so great.

I know what you're saying. I cut it down & made just 2/3 recipe for our gang for Christmas (we had 16 for dinner). There was none left - not a drop!

I'm sure you could cut it back to any proportion that suits your needs - but I'm thinking that it would probably keep for at least a day or two!! (IF it lasted that long!)

Glad to be of help. :D

Edited by luvs2travl

• 5 years later...

Thanks again for this recipe. We had a computer storage drive catastrophe that sucked our recipe collection into the black hole of cyberspace.

Glad CC still had the old thread for me to find it again!

No wonder I like all those cold soups. Look at all the goodies in it. Must be 2 days worth of calories.:eek:

It's probably about 600 calories per serving. I'm just guessing on the ice cream, and it really depends a lot on if the coconut (last ingredient) is sweetened or just raw, shredded, unsweetened coconut.

It's probably about 600 calories per serving. I'm just guessing on the ice cream, and it really depends a lot on if the coconut (last ingredient) is sweetened or just raw, shredded, unsweetened coconut.

ONLY 600 calories? A small serving!

The cold fruit soups are almost entirely to blame for why I gain weight on a cruise! Unless, we happen to pull one of THOSE chefs who don't use cream of any type in these soups (what spoiled sports!).

ONLY 600 calories? A small serving!

The cold fruit soups are almost entirely to blame for why I gain weight on a cruise! Unless, we happen to pull one of THOSE chefs who don't use cream of any type in these soups (what spoiled sports!).

I'm pretty sure that it's between 530 and 620 calories. (Unless it's a really large serving.) Half a carton of most Ben and Jerry's ice creams are only around 525 calories.

I'm pretty sure that it's between 530 and 620 calories. (Unless it's a really large serving.) Half a carton of most Ben and Jerry's ice creams are only around 525 calories.

530 and 620 - interesting micro-calculations. You must be very serious about your calories!

No, I just have an app that calculates calories for recipes.

That is great. For years, it has bothered me I cannot calculate with any accuracy calorie count in so many of the recipes in cookbooks etc

I have a recipe for ensaymadas from veendam that I will post later today when my REAL computer is up. (There's no telling what my iPhone would do with a recipe it wants to correct).

One hesitancy I have on that recipe is the ratio of flour to liquid seems so off to me. I think someone made a typo or conversion error.

No, I just have an app that calculates calories for recipes.

What a let down! I am sure we all thought you had your calculator out!

Thanks for the info! Now I feel better eating these soups: how good is that!?

Edited by SilvertoGold

I have a recipe for ensaymadas from veendam that I will post later today when my REAL computer is up. (There's no telling what my iPhone would do with a recipe it wants to correct).

One hesitancy I have on that recipe is the ratio of flour to liquid seems so off to me. I think someone made a typo or conversion error.

What change would you suggest we consider making to the recipe? I am thinking of trying it and want the best chance of success. :)

What change would you suggest we consider making to the recipe? I am thinking of trying it and want the best chance of success. :)

Oops- when I first read this thread I didn't catch it was that old and the interest for the Ensaymada recipe was likely- stale.

But I did promise, so am making good on that promise. The amount, or conversion, for the flour is the one I call into question. The recipe calls for 8 oz. all purpose flour.

I am pretty sure I used my food scale and tared it to get the weight value of 1 cup. That would make 1 cup flour to 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup milk- basically a 1:1 ratio of liquid to dry (without counting in the egg). That really sounds more like pancake batter that is poured and not a yeast dough that is kneaded.

At this point my suggestion would be to try 2 c. flour- and go as high as 3 if needed to make a proper yeast dough. (I did not try it, but did use another recipe I found on the internet. Maybe I will try it and bring them to work one of these days.) The last batch disappeared and was actually recognized by several Filipina coworkers as ensaymadas. :D

I found a conversion table for baking on a website and am basing this newer conversion on that table. Maybe it really was not ounce as in weight as I had taken it to be originally. I did ask HAL via email when I returned and did not get a corrected version. A 2:1 ratio of dry to wet sounds more reasonable. At least for a start.

I might add the baker who did the segment said he typically makes something like 300+ of them for a staff meeting and crew makes them disappear quickly. He also dips them in sugar while they are still hot.

EnsaymadaB.jpg.fef47546179bc12d3023f06eb8552373.jpg

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Thanks again for this recipe. We had a computer storage drive catastrophe that sucked our recipe collection into the black hole of cyberspace.

Glad CC still had the old thread for me to find it again!

Are there other HAL recipes you might want to call back from that black hole?

Maybe we can help....;)