Hand Sanitizing

PROCRUISE

Disney Cruise Line has Hand Sanitizing gel all over their ships just like HAL. I Can't tell you

how many times on HAL when a passenger is asked to use the sanitizer they refuse and insist that they just washed their hands before they left their room! And while on the elevator with them they push the floor button, rub their nose & fix their hair! When a child is told to use the gel they just do it.

Whats the big deal use the sanitizing gel please!

The big deal is that, as others have pointed out, the gel is next to worthless. Washing is best. The big deal for me is a skin condition that causes excessive dryness in my hands. Rubbing the amount of alcohol on my skin which would make it beneficial would cause my skin to crack and bleed. Noro is a joke compared to blood born illnesses and I see a "big deal" in contracting any one of those.

The big deal is that, as others have pointed out, the gel is next to worthless. Washing is best. The big deal for me is a skin condition that causes excessive dryness in my hands. Rubbing the amount of alcohol on my skin which would make it beneficial would cause my skin to crack and bleed. Noro is a joke compared to blood born illnesses and I see a "big deal" in contracting any one of those.

Sorry to upset you. You could wear rubber gloves thats what we do in the ER to prevent B.B. illness.

This issue had been debated, among medical experts, for several years and there have been a few articles published in medical and scientific journals regarding research. We happened to meet a CDC doctor on a RCI cruise (he was on the ship to lecture and train the crew) who was nice enough to take some time to explain to us why they had found basic hand sanitizers to be nearly worthless against Noro. He also mentioned it was an uphill battle for the CDC because of all the money put into marketing by the hand sanitzer industry. He told us that he seldom used sanitizers and simply washed his hands in soap and water multiple times per day. He also told us that it made no sense to wash your hands in a public bathroom and then touch the door (or door knob) on the way out of the bathroom and that they were trying to get cruise lines to change their bathroom doors so passengers did not have to physically touch to open. He suggested using a paper towel to open the doors.

Hank

I have to say this all just grosses me out. I ALWAYS wash my hands in the bathroom. I've noticed how many people don't. Grosso! And I hate the hand sanitizers too. They often look dirty to me (everywhere in general, not specifically on cruiseships).

The thought of putting my hands on the sanitizers that were touched by the people that are using those instead of washing their hands grosses me out!

The only place I use them is when I'm at the jail, because I know who else has been using them and a lot of my clients have MRSA.

Sanitizer or soap make no difference if friction is not applied..... it's why a surgeon "scrubs" before operating... A quick swish under the tap or a dab of sanitizer just doesn't do it At least15 seconds of brisk hand washing will send those germs down the drain.(sing Happy Birthday twice while washing should do it;))

Sanitizer or soap make no difference if friction is not applied..... it's why a surgeon "scrubs" before operating... A quick swish under the tap or a dab of sanitizer just doesn't do it At least15 seconds of brisk hand washing will send those germs down the drain.(sing Happy Birthday twice while washing should do it;))

AMEN to that, especially before you put anything into your mouth. I know it isn't always easy to do this, but if you can avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, etc... this will help you to avoid a number of germs such as the common cold from entering your body.

From Wikipedia:

Dukoral is a vaccine against cholera and traveler's diarrhea.

Well, we do know that Wikipedia is an excellent authority on drugs. Of course the US Centers for Disease Control and the Food and Drug Administration and seen fit to NOT approve this drug for use in the USA. Now, you can speculate as to why a drug, that has been approved in some other countries (such as Canada)since the early 90s has not received approval for marketing in the US. Perhaps Wikipedia has the answer.

Hank

I noticed on cruises on the Eurodam and Ryndam that only 3 out of 10 use the hand sanitizers.

Of course of the non hand sanitizer users that could include maybe 10 to 15 percent who either washed their hands upon leaving their cabin or used ships restroom sinks on the way to the Lido.

That would bring it to 4 out of 10.

That leaves a very scary 60% who didn't hand sanitize prior to dining.

Of that there is probably the hard core 20% who strictly adhere to no hand washing under any circumstances as part of their lifestyle.

It is good that HAL has staff to remind folks to wash their hands.

Because maybe it doesn't really work?!

You are so right! I cant belive how many people refuse to wash their hands! I kown some are saying hand sanitizers MIGHT not work but what if they do. I work in the ER

you would not belive how many people dont cover their mouth when coughing & wipe their nose on their sleeve.

A local story caught my eye because of this thread: a 4th-grader won at the science fair by showing that Purell was ineffective at killing e-coli (http://www.king5.com/news/local/Fourth-Grader-Gives-Hand-Sanitizers-Poor-Grade-On-E-Coli---91642329.html).

"A spokesperson for the makers of Purell told KING 5 News that it stands by its claims to kill 99 percent of germs and suggested we contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A CDC spokesperson says they have not studied hand sanitizers specifically on E.coli and recommend hand sanitizers only when soap and water are not available."

I use the hsip sanitizer before I enter the buffet line, but then I use my own hand sanitizer AFTER the buffet line, AFTER I've touched a bunch of surfaces, tongs, spoons etc., BEFORE I start eating.

Here's a random thought...maybe the non-stop use of hand sanitizer is being mistaken for excesss perfuming.

I just sailed on the Oosterdam in March 2010, and noticed that some use the sanitizers and some don't. I prefer to wash my hands frequently AND use the sanitizers.

But, I have to say that I appreciated the extra care on the Oosterdam. I don't know if this is HAL policy, or the captains decision, but the first couple days of the cruise the ship with some steps similar to a "code red" even though there wasn't one declared. If I understand correctly, there were ships in other lines having a terrible time with norovirus, plus the fact that we were still in high cold/flu season. So the first two days the staff served everyone at the buffet and poured drinks from the water/coffee/tea dispensers. He told us that he wanted to see the "numbers" after two days. As expected, the self-service began on day 3 of the cruise as the numbers came back very positive. I consider that a very minor inconvenience to ensure the rest of the cruise would be enjoyable.

Archived