Discussion on volcano travel problems

ekco

Not got any tickets yet :eek: I said I wasn't going to mention the T word.

I bet they know there's no hope of us making the cruise so they can't be bothered sending them out.

The "Experts" say conditions are getting worse and we've only got 9 days to go.

At least there is a very skim chance of us making it, but not those sailing sooner

On top of that I've just been in a car accident and got a stiff painful spine :(

Berwyn

Just been watching a news item from Edinburgh airport. A group of Spanish travellers are stranded at the airport and had to sleep there. Typical airport hospitality, they were woken by cleaners every half hour moving seats around, people shouting and whistling, no blankets and then someone put the air con on. Why can't they open up community centres and help these people out a bit more, it's not their fault they can't get home. People could be running out of money now and maybe can't afford hotel bills.

Berwyn, they think that the wind should change towards the end of the week so fingers crossed. I heard that when it gets going again they will have to send the planes out empty to collect people abroad first so that they can clear the hotel rooms. Not seen any ash yet :).

Jan

Just been watching a news item from Edinburgh airport. A group of Spanish travellers are stranded at the airport and had to sleep there. Typical airport hospitality, they were woken by cleaners every half hour moving seats around, people shouting and whistling, no blankets and then someone put the air con on. Why can't they open up community centres and help these people out a bit more, it's not their fault they can't get home. People could be running out of money now and maybe can't afford hotel bills.

Berwyn, they think that the wind should change towards the end of the week so fingers crossed. I heard that when it gets going again they will have to send the planes out empty to collect people abroad first so that they can clear the hotel rooms. Not seen any ash yet :).

Jan

Hi Jan,

What were they cleaning? There's hardly anyone there to make a mess.

I see from the map on BBC website that the cloud has gone out into the Atlantic, before it started by us and went East.

No ash here either yet.

Looks like weather for today and tomorrow it is still coming from the north. Said wintry showers for Scotland. I wonder if they'll get grey snow?

Berwyn

Hi Jan,

What were they cleaning? There's hardly anyone there to make a mess.

I see from the map on BBC website that the cloud has gone out into the Atlantic, before it started by us and went East.

No ash here either yet.

Looks like weather for today and tomorrow it is still coming from the north. Said wintry showers for Scotland. I wonder if they'll get grey snow?

Berwyn

That's what I said, about the cleaning. It's the only service industry that gets away with treating their customers like that. Grey snow!!:eek:what a thought.

Have to admit to a bit of trepidation on paying the balance yesterday, 8 weeks suddenly doesn't seem very long now.

Right that's the ash done with, back to the gossip :D:D.

Got your Pinot yet? We got 2 and 1 Italian red that was about the same full price. Off to Preston later for my birthday meal out with the family, hope it's sunnier up there than here.:D. I've been cutting back all week and now it's show time!! Hic!

How's your finger, hope it's healed now.

Jan

That's what I said, about the cleaning. It's the only service industry that gets away with treating their customers like that. Grey snow!!:eek:what a thought.

Have to admit to a bit of trepidation on paying the balance yesterday, 8 weeks suddenly doesn't seem very long now.

Right that's the ash done with, back to the gossip :D:D.

Got your Pinot yet? We got 2 and 1 Italian red that was about the same full price. Off to Preston later for my birthday meal out with the family, hope it's sunnier up there than here.:D. I've been cutting back all week and now it's show time!! Hic!

How's your finger, hope it's healed now.

Jan

Hi, no not been back to Asda yet. We polished off what we had in the house last night.

So have a good time tonight. Don't forget the Alka Seltzers :D

Finger's still sore and broken under where the ring would be. But getting better.

Berwyn

Hi, no not been back to Asda yet. We polished off what we had in the house last night.

So have a good time tonight. Don't forget the Alka Seltzers :D

Finger's still sore and broken under where the ring would be. But getting better.

Berwyn

Thanks Berwyn. As long as I take 2 painkillers before bedtime I'm ok. Woe betide me if I forget.

Jan

We have to pay our ballance this coming week..maybe we should hold back :eek:

Hopefully the worst will be well past by then. Perhaps they should make alternative arrangements and start cruising from UK

With no tickets still and all this going on I'm not holding out much hope for next week for us.

Berwyn

Must be bit of a worry :mad:... but as with all these outside forces, there is nothing you can do, lets hope the wind change and blow it back :D

I think the Icelanders misheard when we said we want our cASH back :p

RR

:D:D Very good. Quick thinking there.

I do have a backup plan, not quite a cruise.

Luxury log cabin lodge with hot tub. If we get enough notice so can cancel and book it.

Also we've been to 3 of the ports before. And I've been to Monaco.

We can always do Rome as a city break if it all goes pear shaped.

Berwyn

I see the government is moving cautiously still. No flights for another 24 hours.

They could always reinstate the I.E as a ferry again and use her to ferry people back from Canaries and Madeira.

If they start flying Tuesday there might be a chance of clearing the backlog by next week.

At least we've got 8 days leeway still.

Berwyn

Report just on Radio 4 is the Thompson will bring Island Escape back to the UK WITH passengers at the end of the current cruise.

That makes sense as it's due for repositioning soon and no chance of passengers this week. Perhaps they could reposition with half a cruise from Southampton if things get back to normal. Just checked Madeira Islands web cam and IE is in Funchal today.

Jan

Just seen this on OUR OPERATORS

Thomson and First Choice are using coaches and cruise ships to bring back British holidaymakers who are stranded abroad. Customers in Alicante and Malaga will travel via coach to northern France, before catching ferries to Britain and being transported to their respective domestic airports.

The operator, which has 40,000 British customers stranded aboard, is also using its cruise ships, Island Escape and Thomson Dream, to bring back passengers. Island Escape, which is currently in Madeira, will bring its passengers home by sea instead of by air. It is also picking up 300 non-cruise passengers from Madeira whose flights have cancelled.

Thomson Dream will also be used to ferry passengers from Majorca to Barcelona, where further transport has been organised.

Jan

Telegraph Online:-

Morning Jan,

How's the head. :D Throb Throb.

More Pinot Grigot in Asda today got 6 bottles for DW.

If imports will be restricted due to travel restrictions got to stock up.

Guess what, the tickets arrived today. sent DW a text and got this reply. "Ha Ha very funny. Tickets to nowhere"

BBC correspondent says once air is clear it will be total chaos getting everything sorted.

I Can't see us going till they get everyone else home and all planes back in right places.

Earlier it said French had closed all airports north of a line between Nice and Bordeaux.

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn

Strangely the head's fine. It was the carvery meal that didn't digest well. Glad to hear you've cleared the shelves at Asda again:D:D

You might be able to pick up the Dream at Souhampton if the wind changes.

Jan

Hi Berwyn

Strangely the head's fine. It was the carvery meal that didn't digest well. Glad to hear you've cleared the shelves at Asda again:D:D

You might be able to pick up the Dream at Souhampton if the wind changes.

Jan

From your Telegraph post it looks like the Dream will just shuttle back and forwards between Palma and Barcelona.

Perhaps we could do a Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Escape if she's bringing people home to Southampton

Berwyn

Well at least you've got your tickets. A nice souvenir, a shame though that you might not get first go on the Dream but a least they can troubleshoot any teething problems (like the hole in the side) by experimenting on the rescued, lol. :D:D

Jan

Well at least you've got your tickets. A nice souvenir, a shame though that you might not get first go on the Dream but a least they can troubleshoot any teething problems (like the hole in the side) by experimenting on the rescued, lol. :D:D

Jan

One of the girls in the TA's was supposed to be going on the 5 day cruise on Thursday. But even if it went she can't go as they are so busy there sorting out the mess at this end.

It was lovely and peaceful in there today, but she said it was crazy yesterday people all over the place waiting while they tried to sort them out.

Berwyn

One of the girls in the TA's was supposed to be going on the 5 day cruise on Thursday. But even if it went she can't go as they are so busy there sorting out the mess at this end.

It was lovely and peaceful in there today, but she said it was crazy yesterday people all over the place waiting while they tried to sort them out.

Berwyn

Funny that, it was like the grave on Saturday morning when we went in to pay. I thought it was going to be chaotic but there was only us in there. Don't know about BA trying to get clearance to fly but just saw photos of the damage on the F16's on TV and it didn't look good with all the paintwork blistered and rubbish in the engines :eek:.

Jan

Archived