Discussion on volcano travel problems

ekco

Funny that, it was like the grave on Saturday morning when we went in to pay. I thought it was going to be chaotic but there was only us in there. Don't know about BA trying to get clearance to fly but just saw photos of the damage on the F16's on TV and it didn't look good with all the paintwork blistered and rubbish in the engines :eek:.

Jan

:eek::eek: I missed that, didn't see it on BBC.

And Airlines want to fly. It's all money orientated.

This on BBC news

Mr Bisignani, of the International Air Transport Association, has said the scale of the crisis facing the airline industry is now greater than at the time of the 9/11 attacks on the US.

"The decision that Europe has made is with no risk assessment, no consultation, no co-ordination, no leadership," he said.

"Europeans are still using a system based on a theoretical model which does not work... instead of using a system and taking decisions on facts and on risk assessment."

What facts does he want? Planes dropping out of sky ?

Berwyn

Agreed! Big business and money are coming in to play now and while we all want normal service to resume I think they are right to be cautious. BA only flew out over to Ireland and back to Cardiff, not a long trip, I'd rather not be part of an experiment.:eek:. Can't remember which channel had the photos, if you've been on BBC and not seen them it must have been Sky or ITV news. That's the trouble with channel flicking.:)

Jan

[quote name=ekco;24081391Can't remember which channel had the photos' date=' if you've been on BBC and not seen them it must have been Sky or ITV news. That's the trouble with channel flicking.:)

Jan[/quote]

I've put sky news on live on the netbook now, so I can watch both BBC and Sky.

yes the BA flight was well away from the thick area of the ash cloud.

I bet they wouldn't let them fly over land anyway incase they had probs and landed on Gordon or Dave canvasing for votes:D

Berwyn

In view of them saying about imported fruit and veg having trouble getting in we decided to stock up on grape juice.

I got 6 bottles of the 3 for £10 Pinot Grigot + a selection of reds for me. :D

When DW came home she asked "What did you get? did you get any wine?"

Then she suggested going back for some more :eek:

So we've just been back and got another 6 :D for her.

I didn't realise, you save £17.02 on 6 bottles on the offer.

Berwyn

In view of them saying about imported fruit and veg having trouble getting in we decided to stock up on grape juice.

I got 6 bottles of the 3 for £10 Pinot Grigot + a selection of reds for me. :D

When DW came home she asked "What did you get? did you get any wine?"

Then she suggested going back for some more :eek:

So we've just been back and got another 6 :D for her.

I didn't realise, you save £17.02 on 6 bottles on the offer.

Berwyn

I bet there's none left now!!:eek: What were you going to do with the grape juice? Make your own wine :D. I wouldn't worry too much about imported fruit and veg, apart from very perishable soft fruit most of it is containered in by ship or road. I, she says loftily, have a freezer full of fruit from the garden last year. Apples, gooseberries, rasperries and stawberries will be fresh from the garden in June. Do you want some? Did you get any of the red Monterrine Piemonte Barbera? I don't drink now until Friday, boo, so I won't know if it's any good until then. Good price though. Pouring down in Funchal on the webcam, again:eek:. Island Escape has left in the last hour.

Jan

What were you going to do with the grape juice? Make your own wine :D. Island Escape has left in the last hour.

Jan

No the grape juice came ready bottled and fermented :D:D

I see you haven't read my last post :p

Berwyn

The weather in Funchal looks good :eek:

Yeah! First you get stranded then it pours down. Wait for the avalance of posts when they all get back,:D, on the other hand there's a lot of people having their first cruise (300 I think). I wonder if they've got enough beds, they might have to bunk up with the staff.:eek:

Jan

Yeah! First you get stranded then it pours down. Wait for the avalance of posts when they all get back,:D, on the other hand there's a lot of people having their first cruise (300 I think). I wonder if they've got enough beds, they might have to bunk up with the staff.:eek:

Jan

I bet the one who gets to bunk up with Brazillian beauty Fabiola won't be complaining :eek::D:D

Berwyn

That girl should come with a health warning. You can feel the blokes blood pressures going up was she carries a tray across the lounge bar.

Changing the subject, the Dream looks nice in the sunset with all the lights on.

DW won't look at the ticket booklet, she says she won't believe it until we're in Palma.

Berwyn

Yes, a lovely pic. I see there's a big RCI ship in today.

Berwyn

Wonder which one it is? Did you look on the 'What's On' tab on the site, check out the carnival, right up your street. :D:D

Jan

Wonder which one it is? Did you look on the 'What's On' tab on the site, check out the carnival, right up your street. :D:D

Jan

Oh yes :D Food and pretty girls :D

It might be Independence O.S. doing her Canaries cruise from Southampton

Berwyn

Oh yes :D Food and pretty girls :D

It might be Independence O.S. doing her Canaries cruise from Southampton

Berwyn

It's that Carmen Miranda thing again, lol,:D:D

I'd quite like to visit when the Flower Festival is on, looks good. We've been in December, fantastic Christmas lights.

Has the government gone mad!! They definitely told everyone to go to Santander and now they're telling them all to go to Calais. Then, they've got 100 buses at Madrid, no!! they haven't. Any buses are for people arriving from outside the EU, nice of them to tell everyone now.:eek:

This is the problem with going independently, no back-up. Both of my sons do this and I think they take a big chance, especially taking children.:eek: They are always bragging about the cheap flights but not always the best choice.

Jan

Jan

This is the problem with going independently, no back-up. Both of my sons do this and I think they take a big chance, especially taking children.:eek: They are always bragging about the cheap flights but not always the best choice.

Jan

Jan

Hi Jan,

Very true, the way Thomson's seem to be looking after everyone, I'd rather pay a little extra and know I'm going to be OK if it all goes wrong.

Berwyn

Hi Jan,

Very true, the way Thomson's seem to be looking after everyone, I'd rather pay a little extra and know I'm going to be OK if it all goes wrong.

Berwyn

Me too. My sons took the kids to Lanzarote, same hotel as last year (independent). This year no kids club and hundreds of Spanish OAP's, lol, serves him right :D:D. He's always so smug.

Jan

Archived