Luggage - Help!!!!!!!

ivyleaguegent

My wife and I have booked a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Shadow. This will be her first cruise. She became indignant when I informed her that she would be limited to one 30" suitcase and one suiter. She was mortified at the thought that she might have to wear the same outfit twice during the cruise and is concerned that people will think of her as ill bred.....LOL.

How much luggage does one normally take on such a cruise? I would be especially interested in the ladies' take on this question.

Thank you.

Why is she limited to 1 suitcase? Your rule or an airlines? I understand her reluctance to re-wear things in the evening, but during the day you really don't need a lot of clothing. Shawls/scarves work well in the evening to make it look like a new outfit!

My lovely bride and I each take 2 suitcase at 50 lb. each, plus our carry-ons. Our normal cruise is @ 2-3 weeks. You'll have a luggage charge on the airlines for each second bag, but at least you'll feel comfortable on the cruise. Silversea tends to be dressier than the mass market lines. Go have fun and don't worry about the luggage limits or costs.

On our last cruise (11 days) we took 3 30" suitcases and hubby took a suit roll. ( a cool new thing or new to us anyway, that is like a garment bag, but then you roll it into a tube and can carry it on) I also took a leather carry on bag with jewelry, make up, etc. I took 5 pairs of shoes and believe me, it was hard to pare it down that far. We did stay in San Francisco for 4 day prior and Vancouver 3 days after, so had to allow clothes for that as well.

I did take several things that were mix and match - ie- pair of white linen pants (worn twice, different shirts) etc and I had a couple of things I ended up not wearing at all. Many women take black silk evening pants and then wear different beaded tops for formal nights.

To be quite honest, I doubt I would have noticed if someone wore the same thing, unless they wore it MANY times (ie- the elderly man who wore the same sweatshirt everyday:eek:) or a flashy cocktail dress that was very noticeable.

Our next cruise is 16 days with a week on either end, I am already worrying about packing for that!!

I limit myself to one 30" case, usually about 48 lbs. -- contains day and evening -- makeup -- lingerie -- the works. Meds, jewelry, valuables are in one tote carry on. With careful wardrobe planning I always feel chic and well-dressed but realize nobody remembers what I wear from day to day except me.

And sometimes at the end of a cruise (could be 7-18 days, whatever) I find there are things never worn.

Practice makes perfect. Alaska - cruise 32 on Silversea - coming up.

Don't sweat it.

Mary Ann

I got a chuckle reading all of the comments, and then thinking back at all of the cruises that my late wife and I took. This wonderful lady would start at least three weeks before each cruise agonizing over what to take, and there would be daily indecision, changes, modifications and even asking my opinion about matching. I would chuckle and tease, but she was so serious. The upshot was that when we went to the airport for the cruise, I would have to wrestle around her two big - 50 pound bags with enough shoes in them to open up a shoe store as well as clothes to open a ladies clothing boutique. She always would comment after getting home, that she will have to pare things down the next time because she had much more than she needed. But, god bless she was always so beautiful!

I got a chuckle reading all of the comments, and then thinking back at all of the cruises that my late wife and I took. This wonderful lady would start at least three weeks before each cruise agonizing over what to take, and there would be daily indecision, changes, modifications and even asking my opinion about matching. I would chuckle and tease, but she was so serious. The upshot was that when we went to the airport for the cruise, I would have to wrestle around her two big - 50 pound bags with enough shoes in them to open up a shoe store as well as clothes to open a ladies clothing boutique. She always would comment after getting home, that she will have to pare things down the next time because she had much more than she needed. But, god bless she was always so beautiful!

cechase, you're a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!

I did better on our last cruise. (Only 4 prs. of dress shoes) I did a little bit more mix and match. Plus, if you are in warm weather, you can really pare down. Bathing suits and sarongs during the day and shorts and different tops for shore excursions. Formal nights, no one really notices, unless it is a gaudy gress with Phyllis Diller jewelry:D. Don't worry about it. Enjoy and have fun.

And, still brought back several things I didn't wear. Have to work on that aspect, plus not giving the husband a hernia!

Ivyleaguegent -

this may help you wife pack, the Magellan's catalog sells a product called

"Magellan's packing envelopes", these things are great!! You are able to pack so much, so neatly and compactly. Things come out amazingly wrinkle free as well. I now use them for both mine and my hubby's packing. Don't know how I got along without them before.

Ivyleaguegent - this may help you wife pack, the Magellan's catalog sells a product called "Magellan's packing envelopes", these things are great!! You are able to pack so much, so neatly and compactly. Things come out amazingly wrinkle free as well. I now use them for both mine and my hubby's packing. Don't know how I got along without them before.

I just googled this because I didn't know what u were talking about:). What a brilliant idea! I've got 6 weeks to pack for and 1 bag to carry so these might come in handy.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Also check out the "Magellan's mesh cubes". They are great little mesh, zipper top boxes that are fab for packing socks, ties, underwear, cords for electronics, etc. You can pack a ton of stuff in them, security can see what it is without messing with it, etc. Keeps the socks and undies from being stashed in all the crevices btw other items.

On the envelopes, I use the small ones for me and large for DH's clothing.

I can also recommend a product I bought at Target (unfortunately don't know the name). It's essentially a zip lock bag that comes in 2 or 3 sizes. Put your clothes in, zip the top and push the air out thru a one-way valve in the bottom. It's amazing how much more you can fit in your luggage. And if packed neatly, I've found wrinkling to be minimal. While the bag weighs hardly anything, you may find yourself putting more clothes in your luggage due to the extra space, so watch out!

Those vacuum seal things really do work. I have never used them to pack clothing, but I was able to fit a full size pillow with case and a twin size fleece blanket in a standard flat rate box to send to my son in Iraq. It was amazing.

What great memories! Who would have thought so at the time.

I say let her pack what she wants. On the final day, you see the enormous amounts of luggage people bring on cruises, because it has to be put outside of you cabin for collection. When she gets a look at what other people bring, she won't be happy to be held to a one 30" suitcase standard!

I say let her pack what she wants. On the final day, you see the enormous amounts of luggage people bring on cruises, because it has to be put outside of you cabin for collection. When she gets a look at what other people bring, she won't be happy to be held to a one 30" suitcase standard!

Travelling from down under, I have only ever travelled with 1 suitcase. To travel with 2 suitcases would be an amazing luxury but then I'd have to carry it myself as I don't have a pack horse (or donkey) to help me...that being the case, I travel very light:)

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Archived