cabo whale watching??

39august

Are there people on the docks selling whale watching tours? If so, has anyone taken one and did you see whales? I really don't want to do the ship tour on a large boat, as a smaller boat should be more agile and able to make quick changes in direction to get to the whales faster.

We just returned from the Diamond Princess and did the Zodiac Whale Watching tour. It is small and fast and very fun. It was not at all crowded and we could get closer and go faster than the larger boats.

We booked this tour from the ship, which we don't usually do, but were very pleased with it. I'm sure that there are vendors on the pier who offer whale watching tours, they seem to offer everything.

Since we knew the ship left Cabo at 2 pm, we wanted to book an excursion with Princess to be on the safe side. We booked a whale watch, but not on the zodiac, (1/08/05), and ended up on a party-like boat. It was too big and too slow to catch the whales, and was a total waste of 50 bucks. The whales that were in the far far distance were also too difficult to spot because of the glare of the sun, as it was still rising at the time of this morning tour.

I saw the zodiac zipping past us and getting closer to the whales - if I could do it again, I would definitely do the zodiac.

Whatever you do, you will certainly enjoy cabo - its beautiful from any boat, ship, dock, or bar!!!

39August,

I don't know what tour KayMary took, if it was the ships whalewatch tour on the Cabo Rey, it sure doesn't sound like our tour in last Feb. It sounds more like the pirate or snorkeling tour which looks at whales as second priority. Especially for $50, since we paid $79-89 for ship whalewatching tour!! We had no problem getting to the whales, as they were right next to the boat right outside of the harbor and they pretty much stayed there for the whole time. As for the zodiacs getting closer to the whales, this would be illegal as the law requires they stay a minimum distance away. We had two or three small boats following us or coming towards us when the whales were there and only one of them tried to get closer and were warned off by the captain. We saw no zodiacs in Cabo. Good luck on zodiacs. I know there are lots of smaller boats which you can book right there on dock, just be sure what you are getting. Make sure they have restroom if you want that for two hour plus trip.

We're just off the Diamond Princess 1/22 cruise --- we did the zodiac excursion through the ship in Cabo, and it was great! We saw a good amount of whales, including one breeching, and the ride itself was worth the money. We would recommend this one ---

whale.JPG.a5ee1133be5c329ee5982e14bb05e220.JPG

Geejay, do you remember the name of the Zodiac excursion company? I'm on a HAL ship and they don't offer this excursion and I am trying to find it on the internet without success. Thank you.

We're just off the Diamond Princess 1/22 cruise --- we did the zodiac excursion through the ship in Cabo, and it was great! We saw a good amount of whales, including one breeching, and the ride itself was worth the money. We would recommend this one ---

Cynbar.

Can you tell me a little about the zodiac tour. Did you get wet? Was it warm? We are booked on one in 3 weeks.

I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the company either. We booked through Princess because we were concerned about our short port time in Cabo, and this time, we felt it was well worth the cost of about $64 per person. We didn't get wet at all, and we weren't cold although we booked the early excursion (we met on the ship at 7:15 am.) The guide was glad to answer all questions, and took us over to see the arches and Lovers' Beach and the sea lions before we went out into the ocean to look for whales. We loved it -- it was a beautiful morning and a great boat ride by itself. There were 2 zodiacs out at the same time, and they talked to each other via radio or walkie-talkies to locate the whales -- this resulted in a couple of fast trips to another location, but that was part of the fun. The zodiac is an inflatable boat --- many of us sat on the rounded sides, but it wasn't uncomfortable at all. We normally don't do ship excursions, but both of us would recommend this one-- Here's a link to our pictures http://community.webshots.com/user/cynbar101. Many of them were taken from the zodiac---

JohnQ ---- there wasn't a lot of breeching but there was some, and I think it was a lucky shot!! We saw a good amount of whales swimming and then diving under and shaking their tails at us --- in the zodiac, for awhile they were swimming right beside us, which was a lot of fun. Everyone wears a life jacket on the zodiac, so I wasn't too worried about capsizing but it did occur to me. I heard good reports back on the Diamond from people on the larger whale watching boat (we sailed along with it for some of the time), but there's no question that the zodiac has much more opportunity to zip around and find the whales.

We were on the Oosterdam Transcanal Feb 3. We did find a whalewatching tour by just going to the dock. We were offered a chioce of big boat $40, Little boat (water taxi) $30 and zodiac $35. We took the water taxi and were very pleased. We were ablbe to get very clse to the whales and saw breaching, fin slapping and lots of tales. We were right next to them when they came up, not to mention being able to come right up to swimming sea lions and the sea lion rocks and drive around the arch. I asked to be dropped off at lLover's Beach and it was no problem, Ziggy then came back at the agreed time to pick me up( this was not prearranged--it was just a whim on the way back to the pier) I tipped an extra $5 for the pick up service.

We were in Cabo on Feb 4th (friday). We were sailing on the Carnival Pride. We did NOT book the expensive ship whale watching tour - instead we opted to find out what was available in Cabo - LOTS and LOTS !!!

First we went to the Pez Gato Office (located up on the hill) and they advised us to find "Vincente" on the wharf. He sold us tickets for a THREE hour whale watching tour which included a Mexican Buffet Lunch and all the drinks.

The boat was called the "Sun Ryder". Really nice boat - very friendly crew.

We had excellent sightings - Grays, Orcas, and Humpbacks.

The cost was $ 40 per person.

Well worth every dime.

Heather

Do you remember what time the whale tour went out? Did you have a 3 hour tour then have lunch when you returned or was the lunch served on the boat?

Was it a big boat? How many people did it hold.

Linda

The Sun Ryder leaves at 10:30 a.m. and returns at 1:30 p.m. They begin boarding shortly after 10:00 a.m.

It is a sizeable boat, travels at a good speed, has two ladies washrooms and one for the guys.

Lunch is served on the boat - buffet style - very good food. Drinks start pouring as soon as you leave the wharf. Non-alcoholic and alcohol drinks, alike - all included in the fare.

Heather

Hi:

Does Vincente have a website or e-mail address? We are on Vision and would be interested in this tour, except the ship is scheduled to arrive in Cabo at 10 a.m., and we would have to tender into the marina. I'm not sure we could get there for a 10:30 departure. Any info would help. Thanks.

David

The Sun Ryder is not run by Pez Gato. Pez Gato had a later tour (11:00 a.m. - 3 p.m.); and I needed an earlier run (had to tender at 3:30 p.m. latest).

Pez Gato recommended "Vincente" - who is one of the vendors on the wharf vying for everyone's attention. He works by commission to sell tickets for the Sun Ryder.

You can probably ask for anyone on the wharf for tickets for the Sun Ryder Whale Watching tour and get a response (but do not pay more than $40 pp).

Vincente was very helpful; but I am sure that all ticket sale agents would be as well.

Heather

Thanks for the information about the Sun Ryder and Vincente.

We will be in Cabo on March 29. The cruise lines are selling several whale watching tours on that day, but we would prefer a private tour. When I checked with another of the private tour operators recommended on this board (the catamaran Rissalena), the operator said that it was questionable whether we would see any whales that late in March. We are reluctant to book any tour where we are unlikely to see any whales.

Can anyone clarify if it is likely to see whales in Cabo at the end of March?

Thanks so much.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Although San Ignacio is more famous for it's 'friendly whales' more people actually get to see whales in Los Cabos.

One of the best way to see the whales is fron a sailing catamaran. They are fast, quiet and usually handle 25 to 40 people. You get drinks and snacks and a lovely Cabo Sunset on the evening trip.

Here's a source for more photos and info:

http://www.bajainsider.com/articles-features/adventure/whale_watching/inside-whale_watching01.htm

One of the best way to see the whales is fron a sailing catamaran. They are fast, quiet and usually handle 25 to 40 people. You get drinks and snacks and a lovely Cabo Sunset on the evening trip.

I've done a couple of whale watching excursions on sailboats - and I'd strongly recommend the motorboats instead.

if you spot a pod off in the distance - the sailinog vessel has no way of getting their before they are gone.

Occassionally the whales will surface close to the sail boats - out of curiosity I imagine. but that is the only time you will get close up.

The power boats - though legally restricted as to how close they can get, can stil get you closer to more pods than the slower, less manuverable sailboats.

just my opinion - of course just being on the sailboat is pretty nice....

Just returned from Cabo and we hired a water taxi for $30/each for two hours of whale watching plus they drop you off at Lover's Beach and return to pick you up at a designated time. We saw whales up close and also got to see the arches, sea lions, etc. It was much less expensive than the tour from the ship and the small boats can follow the whales easier!

Thanks for the information about the Sun Ryder and Vincente.

We will be in Cabo on March 29. The cruise lines are selling several whale watching tours on that day, but we would prefer a private tour. When I checked with another of the private tour operators recommended on this board (the catamaran Rissalena), the operator said that it was questionable whether we would see any whales that late in March. We are reluctant to book any tour where we are unlikely to see any whales.

Can anyone clarify if it is likely to see whales in Cabo at the end of March?

Thanks so much.

David

We were on the Oosterdam from 3/5-3/12. We were in Cabo on March 7th and we booked the Rissalena thru the website http://www.allaboutcabo.com/rissalena.htm for a whale watching tour, but alas we saw NO whales! It really is getting towards the end of the whale watching season as they are migrating north. We saw several from the ship on the way back! BUT, having said that it was a GREAT trip. Eduardo (the captain) Armenis and Juan Carlos provided a great trip anyways. Pointing out the natural beauty and highlights of the port. They make fantastic margaritas using fresh limes and the lunch was to die for! The best guacamole I've ever eaten. It was a great ride with even better hosts! :)

Archived