Google Chrome question

Grannycb

Any problems using Google Chrome on ships? I can't remember if we needed IE to sign in from our cabin. Is it worthwhile to have on the netbook? It works very well on desktop and laptop at home, much faster. The faster part would be appreciated on the ship's connection.

Any problems using Google Chrome on ships? I can't remember if we needed IE to sign in from our cabin. Is it worthwhile to have on the netbook? It works very well on desktop and laptop at home, much faster. The faster part would be appreciated on the ship's connection.

I have used my netbook (with IE) on the ships with no problem, and I don't think I remember reading anywhere that you had to use IE exclusively, so I think you would be fine. Worst case, you establish the connection with IE and then use Chrome for your surfing. I know the Internet cafe computers are all using IE, but it does come standard on the computes so that isn't a surprise.

Mike

The speed you have with Chrome or lack of with some other browsers has more to do with the architecture and code in the browser and how fast it deals with various applications like Flash embedded in web sites. If your computer can hookup from your cabin it will not matter what browser you use. If you fail to connect it will have to do with your connection/lan settings more so than the browser itself.

The slowlness of ship internet is not related to either the speed of computer or browser but due to the very slow link ( satellite ) versus land line 3G, cable, DSL, cable. Won't matter what computer, phone, browser or OS you use the problem is the data pipe. Sadly Crhome will not help much with the often complained slow interent on ships at sea :mad:

Good luck!

How about canning the ill-informed speculation and answering the OPs question from the perspective of someone who has used Chrome on board? Kthx.

I have successfully used Chrome to authenticate on Sapphire, last in October 2009. There's a pop-up for logout that does not always display correctly, IIRC, but killing your NIC with the hardware switch will adequately force a logout.

See? Easy! Plenty of captive portals are glitchy with non-mainstream browsers. It's a legitimate issue that requires a certain amount of both technical knowledge and firsthand experience to answer adequately. For example, the peculiarities of a particular JavaScript interpreter can be used to build captive portals / authentication systems, and browsers without that peculiarity won't display the page correctly.

I have successfully used Chrome to authenticate on Sapphire, last in October 2009. There's a pop-up for logout that does not always display correctly, IIRC, but killing your NIC with the hardware switch will adequately force a logout.

Thanks! Just installed Chrome on my netbook, (did not delete IE) as I wondered the same thing. Good to know you used Chrome with no problems. We sail Saturday.

Thanks for the info. Do others using Google Chrome find it works faster than IE or Firefox? We use the hardware switch on the computer to disconnect on ships.

I have used Chrome successfully onboard. No adverse problems. With the slower connection onboard, it almost doesn't make too much of a difference, but once the data has reached the browser, Chrome will display it faster.

And, in my personal experience at home on a fast DSL line, Chrome works significantly faster than IE and a bit faster than Firefox (it all depends on how many add-ons you run in Firefox). There enough of a difference that I mainly use Chrome now...

I have used Chrome successfully onboard. No adverse problems. With the slower connection onboard, it almost doesn't make too much of a difference, but once the data has reached the browser, Chrome will display it faster.

And, in my personal experience at home on a fast DSL line, Chrome works significantly faster than IE and a bit faster than Firefox (it all depends on how many add-ons you run in Firefox). There enough of a difference that I mainly use Chrome now...

I'll second all of this. The benefit of Chrome being snappier will be lost with the slow data rate of the connection. Chrome is noticeably snappier and it is obvious if on a faster connection.

Archived