Do people really hate when others use walkie talkies?

Asil65

Bringing my kids with me on Princess this time. I had thought about bringing walkie talkies to help me communicate with the kids. I would only use them sparingly as most of the times my kids will be with me. When people have used them in the past what kind of responses did you get from other passengers? Any brand recommendations? We will be on the Caribbean Princess if it matters. Thanks!

The problem people have with them is the same issue as with cell phones. People talk louder and at inappropriate times. As long as you are aware of your surrounding and respectful of others I don't see the problem. Talk in a normal voice so that only you can hear the conversation, don't talk for a long time but just a quick on and off and use proper manners and I don't think you'll have a problem. We've used them before. One cruise one of our group rented them from the ship and honestly, that was more of a pain then a help. We kept forgetting them and were always getting interrupted in the middle of something. We've also used them to keep track of family and that worked out ok.

I can't imagine having to lug a walkie-talkie around all the time, and I'm sure the kids wouldn't want to, either.

It's really not as hard as most think to "keep up" with others in your party...the "public" areas on the ship aren't that massive! (Most of the ship is taken up with cabins...there's no reason to be anywhere but your own hallway!)

When the kids aren't with you, just tell them where to look for you, and vice versa...you'll find each other, no problem!

I can't imagine having to lug a walkie-talkie around all the time, and I'm sure the kids wouldn't want to, either.

It's really not as hard as most think to "keep up" with others in your party...the "public" areas on the ship aren't that massive! (Most of the ship is taken up with cabins...there's no reason to be anywhere but your own hallway!)

When the kids aren't with you, just tell them where to look for you, and vice versa...you'll find each other, no problem!

We lost ds12 (he was 9) on a cruise for about 45 minutes. We thought he was heading back to the kids club with dd13 after dinner, but he believes he told us he was going up by the pool. When we went to pick them up from the club, he wasn't there. We went up to the pool area several times, but we must've just missed each other in the areas we were in. It was horrible!

We'd use them when we were splitting up - DH taking my 3 kids to mini-golf while I stayed in the room. DH taking the 3 kids to the pool while I went to the ship's store and GSD.

The upside - when DH forgot the ear plugs so my littlest could swim, he just used the walkie talkie, I grabbed them and brought them to the pool. This way, he didn't have to risk stopping supervising kids in the pools or ask two kids to get out of the pool to find a phone to call me in the room.

When I wanted to join up with them on the sun deck, I used the walkie talkie to find out where they were so I could find them easier. Not alot of house phones on the open decks up top.

I am not sure that I would bring them again. Then again, they don't take up much room either.

If you don't use them now, you might not think to use them on the ship. We use ours often when we're shopping (large places like Home Depot where it is hard to find someone if you split up) and have found that we wished we'd have brought them to the Air and Space Museum. One of us standing in a LONG line for tickets. Would have been really nice to tell the other 4 to go do something and just radio'd when I was done. Instead, had to rely on 2 cell phones working and rely on DH actually noticing that his was ringing....

Downside-

-- they don't work everywhere to everywhere. More metal in between units, the less likely they are to work.

-- awkward to carry around, unless you have pockets and if you have them in a pocket, you can't hear them anyway - especially outdoors where there are no walls to reflect the sound back

-- other walkie talkies. Most come with a way to select a "channel" (ours have 10 channels). You need to tune yours to a channel that others are not using or you'll find yourself on an old-fashioned type of party line with others on the ship. If you leave yourself on channel 1 (the default), there will probably be several others with the same brand that will also be on channel 1.

To answer your question. The only comments we ever heard regarding our walkie talkies were from a group of people who asked us how well they worked on the ship. We didn't use them a lot and kept the volume low.

I don't recall any dirty looks or anything but we made an effort not to make a spectacle or annoyance of ourselves. We didn't use them in the

theater or MDR or when we were in a buffet line where people were close by.

hb5

It's not the fact of using them; it's the way that some (not all, not even most) people use them. It's terribly annoying to hear a bunch of people shouting (all at the same time), "Mom...mom....MOM, can you hear me? Where are you?" or "I'm going to the buffet" with a response of "Bring me long-list-of-food-items" (still shouting, mind you, to make sure not a single item gets missed).

Most of the time, it's not a problem at all. As long as people remember manners and common courtesy and don't use them for long, "yelling" conversations. They can be a good way to keep in touch onboard, but they can be a pain to lug around. With children, it's important to make sure they understand to keep them on buzz or low, not to use them as "toys," and not to leave them here and there.

We used them on one cruise, but found them more a PITA than a benefit.

beachchick

We lost ds12 (he was 9) on a cruise for about 45 minutes. We thought he was heading back to the kids club with dd13 after dinner, but he believes he told us he was going up by the pool. When we went to pick them up from the club, he wasn't there. We went up to the pool area several times, but we must've just missed each other in the areas we were in. It was horrible!

This is the kind of stuff that scares me. I am so torn because I have a 12 year old boy that I want to give a bit more independence. Yikes!

It's not the fact of using them; it's the way that some (not all, not even most) people use them. It's terribly annoying to hear a bunch of people shouting (all at the same time), "Mom...mom....MOM, can you hear me? Where are you?" or "I'm going to the buffet" with a response of "Bring me long-list-of-food-items" (still shouting, mind you, to make sure not a single item gets missed).

Most of the time, it's not a problem at all. As long as people remember manners and common courtesy and don't use them for long, "yelling" conversations. They can be a good way to keep in touch onboard, but they can be a pain to lug around. With children, it's important to make sure they understand to keep them on buzz or low, not to use them as "toys," and not to leave them here and there.

We used them on one cruise, but found them more a PITA than a benefit.

beachchick

Thank you, I was thinking it might be a pain lugging them around too. They are not very small. I would never use them in the DR or theater. I can't imagine that people would use them in those places. I was mostly thinking that if the kids were in the kids club and I allowed them to check themselves out they could call me and we would be able to meet up. This whole checking in and out of kids club is another thing. I suppose I could just be in one place and have the kids meet me at a specific time. Might be easier.

Thank you, I was thinking it might be a pain lugging them around too. They are not very small. I would never use them in the DR or theater. I can't imagine that people would use them in those places. I was mostly thinking that if the kids were in the kids club and I allowed them to check themselves out they could call me and we would be able to meet up. This whole checking in and out of kids club is another thing. I suppose I could just be in one place and have the kids meet me at a specific time. Might be easier.

Not to be a naysayer but what if your kids wanted to check out the kids club and you were in the theatre?

We always used walkie talkies when at ski resorts until cell phones got much better. While it helped us out I tried not to use them as they truly get to be a pain. All you hear is the beep beep of people trying to find each other. We have 2 teenagers and have thought about bring them on cruises then realized just how unrealistic it was to have them and us carry them around as well as being in places that it was appropriate to use them. We have gone to the note system. My kids know that if they say they are going to be somewhere they better be there and yes we check periodically even if we don't 'need' them. It has always worked for us, of course each family is different so only you can say what will work and what is comfortable for you.

Not that you asked about this but I've found that good sit down BEFORE vacation going over all the rules and consequences makes it much easier once on board.

If you do decide to go the walkie talkie route there is one model that I believe can text. I am sure someone on here knows what they are as I've seen them mentioned on CC before.

Like someone said, it's not the use of them that's the problem, but where and how they are used. I cannot tell you how many times we've been in the main dining room only to hear those things beeping and people yelling into them. That, along with those who have them in the show lounge or dance venues. Sorry, but that's annoying to the nth degree. Add to that the fact that they distort the human voice to an annoying level, and that's where the problems start.

BTW, just realize that they are not legal to take off the ship. The frequencies used are the same that is used by local governments and law enforcement on the islands. You could be arrested if using them off the ship.

My kids will be with us when we leave the ship. I would not bring them with us. There is no reason to do that. The more I think about it I feel like they will be a pain in the neck. My kids will likely be with us most of the time anyway. If they go to the kids club I will just schedule a set time to meet up with them again. Probably easier than lugging them around. I did think about the cell phones and possibly paying for the ability to use them out of the country. Then we could text each other. I know that you end up with pretty hefty raming charges however. Thanks for the input everyone.

Archived