Cigar Policy

We just returned from Splendour of the Seas, 4/3/10 in the Med.

We had a balcony room and the person next to us smoked cigars on the balcony every afternoon. It was awful. I complained 3 times and was told that any kind of smoking was allowed on the balconies. These were non smoking rooms. I was appalled. On Norwegian, we were used to restricted areas for cigar and pipe smoking.

I will never travel RCCL again.

Ren

Depending on how you interpret the rule............

I didn't think it was all that vague:

Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted within the Cigar lounge. (If no Cigar lounge exists on a particular ship, there will be a designated area for pipe and cigar smoking).

I haven't been on Slendour, though. I suppose, if there is no Cigar lounge, they could "designate" the balconies as areas for pipe and cigar smoking.

the room is inside, the balcony outside. Did you complain about the people smoking on the pool deck or top deck outside.

That doesn't matter. A non smoking room is also supposed to be a non smoking balcony. It is for the comfort and convenience of those around you and so non smokers don't have smoke on their balcony...

When we had this problem we called security and they took care of it. Not sure if you called housekeeping or what but it is a shame you had to be subjected to that when you specifically had a non smoking room

That doesn't matter. A non smoking room is also supposed to be a non smoking balcony. It is for the comfort and convenience of those around you and so non smokers don't have smoke on their balcony...

When we had this problem we called security and they took care of it. Not sure if you called housekeeping or what but it is a shame you had to be subjected to that when you specifically had a non smoking room

Actually, unless it is recently changed, Royal Carib. does not have "smoking" and "non-smoking" rooms. They are all considered the same; no smoking inside the cabin, but smoking is permitted on the balconies. I wish it were as you describe, and on could book balcony rooms in an area of the ship where no smoking at all is allowed, but that's not the case.

There is no such thing as a "non-smoking balcony" - smoking is permitted on ALL balconies. Every cabin is non-smoking so, again, no specifically designated "non-smoking rooms" as they are ALL non-smoking.

Having said that - the rules do prohibit cigar smoking on any balcony and I would have kept complaining up the line until the issue was resolved.

Dear God, I hope we don't get a cigar smoker next to us on our balcony on our Oasis sailing on 5/8! I'm an ex-smoker and not a fanatic about smokers now, but cigars, yuck. ALWAYS hated them and the stink of a cigar I can only take for about a minute or two. We have someone in our condo above us here in Florida and when he's out on his balcony puffing away on his stogie in we have to come unfortunately and shut all the windows. The wind blows the smoke all the way around our side of the building so it's not just us that suffers. One of the worst things ever invented!

I didn't think it was all that vague:
Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted within the Cigar lounge. (If no Cigar lounge exists on a particular ship, there will be a designated area for pipe and cigar smoking).
I haven't been on Slendour, though. I suppose, if there is no Cigar lounge, they could "designate" the balconies as areas for pipe and cigar smoking.
It doesn't sound vague and yet consistently when people ask, either on the ship or via phone/email to RCI, they are told that people may smoke cigars on their balconies. The only thing I can assume is that the section you quote refers only to public areas, even though it doesn't read that way.

Ok Im curious............As a ex smoker of 25 years (I quit last June), why are cigarettes allowed but cigars are prohibited? :confused:

After being smoke free for almost a year, I find cigarette smoke almost unbearable but I still enjoy the smell of a fine cigar or pipe once in a while.

I dont understand the logic behind this rule. I guess the majority of non smokers feel differently than I do and do not mind the cigarette smoke as much as cigar smoke?

Either way, even though I quit cigarettes and will never smoke another one again, I plan on enjoying a fine cigar and a DOD while on the Monarch.

I hope I can find SOMEWHERE where this is accepted and not prohibited.

Thanks Mark K! This answers my question.

There is no such thing as a "non-smoking balcony" - smoking is permitted on ALL balconies. Every cabin is non-smoking so, again, no specifically designated "non-smoking rooms" as they are ALL non-smoking.

Having said that - the rules do prohibit cigar smoking on any balcony and I would have kept complaining up the line until the issue was resolved.

I only said that as the original post said it was a non smoking room...That is interesting...I guess I got used to sailing Carnival the last few times and you can get Spa rooms and they are non smoking on both and still they discourage smoking on all balconies and the damage a discarded cigar or cigarette can do. I personally would rather smell a cigar than a cigarette and I feel it is unfair why cigars are discriminated on...I don't want someone smoking it in my room or on the balcony next to me where my kids are trying to breathe but they should rethink having non smoking rooms...

Ok Im curious............As a ex smoker of 25 years (I quit last June), why are cigarettes allowed but cigars are prohibited? :confused:

After being smoke free for almost a year, I find cigarette smoke almost unbearable but I still enjoy the smell of a fine cigar or pipe once in a while.

It is because cigar smoke tends to smell stronger and doesn't seem to dissipate as quickly as cigarette smoke. One day, as I was walking around Deck 4 on the Voyager, there was a gentleman sitting on the deck smoking a cigar (yes, he was breaking the rules in doing so, but no, I didn't tattle on him). I could still smell that cigar almost the full length of the ship away from him. The same was not true of cigarette smokers that I passed.

So, although for you the smell of a cigar may be pleasant and preferable to a cigarette, many people feel differently.

We had this issue, the front desk said they could smoke cigars on the balcony:eek:

My God, now I'm craving a cigar!! Might have to go fire one up and waste an hour of my day puffing away and enjoying life. Thanks for the post!

I was thinking the same thing! Though honestly I was leaning that way even before I opened the thread.

How people can find cigarette smoke unpleasant but cigar smoke appaling is beyond me. I've gotten comments about how good my cigar smells when in public but then I only smoke the good stuff. If anybody wants a cigar that smells nice to non-smokers, investigate the Arturo Fuente Hemingway line. It's the only cigar my wife will 'enjoy' with me (not smoking but chatting on the porch).

We had this issue, the front desk said they could smoke cigars on the balcony

My guess is that the cigar policy on each ship depends upon whether the captain smokes cigars or not.

Huh?

It's not hard to understand. The smoking policy draws a distinction for pipe and cigar smoking and states that they are allowed only in the Cigar Lounge.

That clarifies it, thanks. I was confused because the guest conduct policy states "Generally, smoking is permitted outdoors on only one side of the ship; and smoking is permitted on all private ocean front balconies, including Loft Suite balconies on Oasis Class." I guess they should specify cigarette smoking. It wouldn't be RCL if there was no ambiguity!

How people can find cigarette smoke unpleasant but cigar smoke appaling is beyond me. I've gotten comments about how good my cigar smells when in public but then I only smoke the good stuff. If anybody wants a cigar that smells nice to non-smokers,

Note - I fully respect the rights of cigar smokers to engage in their habit where allowed. Enjoy. But you guys should also understand how extraordinarily unpleasant cigar smells are no most non-cigar smokers. There's no such thing as a cigar that smells nice to non-smokers. Don't kid yourself about only smoking the good stuff. The good stuff is nauseating too.

If you don't believe me, start asking people every time you smoke one. Tell them you think non-smokers find the smell nice. Ask if you are correct.

As I said, I wish you enjoyment. Just don't want you to be delusional.

We had this issue, the front desk said they could smoke cigars on the balcony:eek:

Not surprised that they said that as I've learned that CS employees tend to be somewhat clueless and/or refuse to make waves. However, as anyone who knows me will verify, I do not take no for an answer when I know that I am right and can prove it (in this case a print-out of the smoking policy from their website). Actually, I'm very soft-spoken and reasonable but will go to the mat on a principle.

Note - I fully respect the rights of cigar smokers to engage in their habit where allowed. Enjoy. But you guys should also understand how extraordinarily unpleasant cigar smells are no most non-cigar smokers. There's no such thing as a cigar that smells nice to non-smokers. Don't kid yourself about only smoking the good stuff. The good stuff is nauseating too.

I can only tell you what happened to me. I very occasionally smoke in public and I've been told several times that my cigar smells nice or been asked what brand it is. I've never been asked to put my cigar out or to move. Does this mean that everybody I've come across absolutely loved my cigar smoking? Probably not but then I've never inferred that.

It's not a habit by the way, it's a hobby. I choose when and how often I want to smoke cigars. I had oral surgery and didn't have a cigar for 2 months. Cigarette smokers definitely do not have the ability to put them down for 2 months.

We just returned from Splendour of the Seas, 4/3/10 in the Med.

We had a balcony room and the person next to us smoked cigars on the balcony every afternoon. It was awful. I complained 3 times and was told that any kind of smoking was allowed on the balconies. These were non smoking rooms. I was appalled. On Norwegian, we were used to restricted areas for cigar and pipe smoking.

I will never travel RCCL again.

Ren

Have fun on other lines then.

Archived