Need ladies advice please

lkmamom

I have been reading extensively about the pickpocket hazards and I think I am prepared, but I wonder......while shopping, what have you that have traveled to Rome and Florence etc. do with your purchases and the assorted bags? I know travelers talk about cross body bags etc. but how do you tote all of "stuff" you purchase? Thanks for the help:)

Linda

I have been reading extensively about the pickpocket hazards and I think I am prepared, but I wonder......while shopping, what have you that have traveled to Rome and Florence etc. do with your purchases and the assorted bags? I know travelers talk about cross body bags etc. but how do you tote all of "stuff" you purchase? Thanks for the help:)

Linda

Unless you are buying expensive items (ie. jewelery) pickpockets are not interested. They could care less about souveniers:p, what they want is cash:eek: I have never had a problem just carrying around my purchases.

They could care less about souveniers:p, what they want is cash:eek:

LOL :D, but very true. It is your handbag you have to watch.

I personally believe all these stories on CC on how bad pickpockting in Europe is are overexaggerated, and some of the people that buy special money belts and other gear are a bit paranoia. Yes, something can happen, but can't it in your hometown as well on your way to the supermarket?

A few things are good to remember though:

-do not wear a backpack on your back.

-when carrying a ladies handbag, place the strap over your head, thus having the strap crossways over your body and the bag is in front of you. This prevents snatching.

-carry bags away from the street when walking on the pavement, so in the hand or over the shoulder that is on the side of the houses. This prevents scooter driveby snatchings.

-be aware of your surroundings. Is somebody following you or trying to bump into you? Try to shake them off by suddenly stopping, changing direction or going into a shop. We are talking about Italians, they are a bit chaotic and maybe they just fancy you :D, no need to get into a panic.

Unless you have an attempt of theft, or an actual theft by a pickpocket you probably feel the stories are overblown. My husband has had a couple of attempts on subways in Europe and one on the street. They were unsuccessful bacause he has a money pouch that is inside his clothes. I also have one and carry nothing important in my purse. Some cities are worse than others and crowds are great for pickpockets. The poster from Germany mentions thefts from passing motorbikes which can severely injure a person if they go with the purse. A person needs to use common sense with their valuables as the possiblity of theft is there. My Mother had her wallet picked, my Sister-in-law had her purse snatched, however she managed to run the thief down and get it back. She is one determined lady!

I can go on with the list of people who have been robbed, but I think you get the picture.

Carol

Having been 'robbed/mugged' - twice- I want to say that I never carry a purse when I travel.[if there is 'nothing valuable', why even take it? Just more to carry] I have pants/shorts/skirts with large pockets so as to carry bus ticket, cruise card, etc. I have a camera bag - small- over my head/shoulder. (first robbery was a drive-by grab of my strap - which was a water bottle :D. Guy was expecting a bit more, I am sure!)

Husband or I carry a large bag - a lot of cruise lines give them out - and it has sweater, etc and room for any purchases, but does not look 'exciting' - at least I hope not.:rolleyes:

Husband also spreads small amounts money around on his person - altho that did not foil the mugger in Buenos Aires, unfortunately.:mad:

Unless you have an attempt of theft, or an actual theft by a pickpocket you probably feel the stories are overblown. My husband has had a couple of attempts on subways in Europe and one on the street. They were unsuccessful bacause he has a money pouch that is inside his clothes. I also have one and carry nothing important in my purse. Some cities are worse than others and crowds are great for pickpockets. The poster from Germany mentions thefts from passing motorbikes which can severely injure a person if they go with the purse. A person needs to use common sense with their valuables as the possiblity of theft is there. My Mother had her wallet picked, my Sister-in-law had her purse snatched, however she managed to run the thief down and get it back. She is one determined lady!

I can go on with the list of people who have been robbed, but I think you get the picture.

Carol

Of course one's own experiences inform one's choices, and I agree with the above poster. Perhaps pickpockets are just very expert at singling out American tourists who look to be on holiday and perhaps because of that carrying extra money.

All I can say is that I am a far from inexperienced traveler who took all of the "usual" recommendations (e.g., bag across shoulder, etc) and was still pickpocketed in Barcelona. I never felt it happen at all. I now use either a money belt or neck pouch and don't have to spend a moment's worry.

BTW, my ex-husband was targeted in Rome on the Spanish steps, they almost had his wallet in about 5 seconds flat; he is a street-savvy New Yorker. My sister and BIL were targeted in Naples on the train on the way to Pompeii. A friend of a friend recently had her passport lifted in Rome.

Isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

To answer the OP's question, the pickpockets aren't interested in casual souvenirs. If you buy jewelry or anything expensive, take good care to secure it.

I generally don't shop much if I'm just in a city for a day. I'm there to see the sights. However, one drawback I could see to carrying a lot of bags is that it is easier to get distracted and lose track of what really IS valuable -- your wallet, cash, credit cards, etc.

I bring an easy to fold up mesh bag or one of those cloth bags we now use to shop instead of "plastic or paper".

I keep all my valuables elsewhere but I put purchases +map+light sweater etc in that bag. Have had NO probs in very pickpocket ridden cities like Barcelona and Rome.

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I was not totally clear with my question, but riffatsea answered my question very well.I did not want to carry a backpack but I was wondering how all of you carry the treasures you collect while visiting the various cities, I am sure it will not fit in my crossbody bag, which is small. I will be mindful of my surroundings. Pickpockets are even here in Midwest USA I am sorry to say.

Linda

Of course you don't SEE it. They are professionals. Besides cash, they also want passports.

I have seen the after math several times :rolleyes:

Too many people put tooooo much fear in travellers visiting Rome and Barcelona.

Just be mindful and one should be fine.

. . . Husband or I carry a large bag - a lot of cruise lines give them out - and it has sweater, etc and room for any purchases, but does not look 'exciting' - at least I hope not.:rolleyes:

We take the "normal" precautions

- passport stays on-board or at the hotel -- DH and I each carry a copy in an encrypted file on a micro flash-drive (I'm tempted to just get a chip implanted like I did with my dog :D)

- small travel handbag. across my body woren to the front -- with just the essencials (sun glasses, old pair of DH's reading glasses, sanitary products, very small amount of cash). Most money and credit card (just one) in a pouch attached to my bra. DH has slacks with interior pockets for a travel only wallet.

- No expensive jewlery (we have simple wedding bands, but we have friends who have the "big rock" engagement rings that they leave at home!) -- no diamond studs, no designer label clothes or bags. I dress comfortably and plainly -- I don't want to "look" like I have something worth stealing.

- Make eye contact with pax around you if you are on public transport -- make certain that they know that you know what they look like and that you are aware that they are there.

- Pay particular attention to kids around you.

Make eye contact with pax around you if you are on public transport -- make certain that they know that you know what they look like and that you are aware that they are there.

This is so true! It's a good excuse to do my favorite - people watching!;)

DH has slacks with interior pockets for a travel only wallet

This is not even safe. When we were robbed in BA, this couple threw something on us and magically appeared to help us clean it off. We were spun and mauled and Dick's secret place in pants was opened, the money taken out and the wallet put back without us ever realizing it. Yes, we knew we were being robbed but couldn't get free...

This is why I love cruising - I carry the bare minimum. Leave everything in the safe on board. 10 Euros in the pocket, credit card (rarely) in another well hidden pocket . I am lucky - I don't really want to buy anything! If I do have extra cash to carry, i have a thin, zipped, makeup bag which I just pin it to the inside of my slacks. I do hear that Athens is the worst for scamming /pickpocketing. Friends have been had there.

The best place for your money and cards is inside your clothes - bra stash or hidden inside pocket. We have small zippered cloth pockets that attach through a belt loop. In addition we pin them on the inside of our pants.

I know this is the Italy board, but several years ago my husband and I were with my elderly parents in London. We were walking back to our hotel after dinner one evening. My parents were about 50 feet ahead of us. As they past the doorway of a closed shop, a guy popped out of the doorway and started to follow them. He didn't realize we were with them or even notice us behind him. My police chief husband took my hand and led me between my parents and the guy, then he turned around and glared at the guy. The guy turned and ran the other way. The moral of the story is that the elderly can be real targets in a foreign city. Our story ended well, but I don't think it would have if we weren't with them.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has some good info I was looking for too...mostly about what type of bag to use to lug around your goodies/non-valuables in Italia.

I was thinking about bringing a smaller inexpensive mesh bag or a stronger not too large plastic shopping bag that's easy to carry around. :)

Linda

It is true that your "stuff" is not usually a target. It is your purse, watch, etc. Unless you are doing the touring on your own, you can leave your "stuff" in the touring vehicle as it is kept locked and/or attended.

Just got back and no problems, no unease.

It is true that your "stuff" is not usually a target. It is your purse, watch, etc. Unless you are doing the touring on your own, you can leave your "stuff" in the touring vehicle as it is kept locked and/or attended.

Just got back and no problems, no unease.

Where did you carry your camera?

Archived