Celebrities On A Cruise

sealady1

Years ago (1975), aboard Stimar's Fairwind, our cabin was sandwiched between Red Buttons on one side & Henny Youngman on the other. They performed in the evenings. DH talked to Red Buttons one day. Hubby reported Mr. Buttons was the nicest person you'd ever want to meet. Very personable and pleasant.

We never saw Mr. Youngman around the deck.

Mrs Y was always impecably dressed, Henny was always wrinkled. He called me "HEY HONEE, wid da belt"..I got a big fancy one in SJ, Pur Ric..really fancy...lots of pics and Auties...Alan Kent, the CD, would use me in his act..and I did a "number" of cruzes with him. Actually, Googling Alan, led me to this site. He was a huge Horse player..he went on to others things. He was in Beaches, w/Bette Midler..some TV.....finally my "gig" was up...and there I was addicted to ships, and made several enroads in my career path. And the rest, they say, is history..

I've met a few celebrities, but none of them were on a cruise at the time. I am most impressed by a firm, but not rough, handshake and a direct gaze.

The one that made the biggest impression on me, for very young reasons, was meeting the son of Rudd Weatherwax, who owned the dogs who played "Lassie."

I have met a lot of somewhat famous politicians, again, not on cruise ships. David Gergen, James Carville, Dick Cheney, Bill Clinton, Dan Evans, etc., all put their pants on one leg at a time.

I have been on a cruise (Princess) when John Travolta was on board. Didn't come out of his suite much but was in the show lounge one night surrounded by cruise directors staff. When he got off after week 1, we stayed on board and Kevin Bacon got on.

On Celebrity Zenith a few years ago. Gordon Liddy was on the next table.

When my hubby and I were on HAL's Sea of Cortez cruise, a few years ago, we saw John Travolta's private yacht (complete with a helipad!!) anchored in Puerta Vallarta. Never saw Mr. Travolta, but oh his yacht was sooooo fine! :D

We were on the Oceania and there was a Sheik and his group/family- I was waiting to get cash and one of his group went right in front of me and got her cash first. I just looked at the man on the desk and he later apologized!! He was afraid of them-they had body guards with them!! They were very nice other places on the ship, guess they just did not like standing in lines with the rest of us. They were in the owner's suite and usually ate in, but at the shows, they were very nice and seemed to have lots of fun!!

Over the years, we have met quite a few, including Ed Asner, Patricia Neal, Donna McKechnie of Chorus Line, and Marlin Fitzwater, press secretary under George Bush(41) and Ronald Reagan. None of them were sailing on HAL, however.

Many years ago I sailed on the QE2 from New York to Southampton with my teenage daughter. The rock group, The Cure, had just finished a tour of the USA and were returning home. They mingled with the passengers and were a great hit with the teens and didn't mind them following them round. they seemed like really nice guys!

Barbara Rush and her sister, who looks just like her, were on board the Prinsendam. They ate in the MDR every day and mingled with the passengers. Several times we chatted while at the railing, as well as riding on the tenders. Very nice ladies, people-persons. Another time I met Alan King on Celebrity's Zenith, delightful, and the funniest comedian I've heard for a long time.

Marianne

Was on the NCL Jewel a couple of years ago. While watching the ship's comedian perform one evening, he introduced his friend sitting in the audience, former pro-wrestling star Bruno Samartino.

Later we saw him several times around the ship, enjoying meeting his fans.

Numerous celebs on Royal Viking and then Crystal, where they both entertained/lectured and mingled with all other passengers throughout the ships and on shore excursions- Rita Moreno, Flip Wilson, Y.A. Tittle, Arte Johnson (Laugh-In), Burt Bachrach (sp?) and Carol Bayer Sager, Jimmy Carter, Tommy Tune, plus authors and news correspondents. It's a great extra "treat" on longer voyages.

On our honeymoon cruise Sept 19,1992, NCL Westward to Bermuda it just happened to be the UVEX Ski Cruise.We had Suzy(Chapstik)Chaffee whom I kept referring to as Suzy Hasbeen. We also had Billy Kidd(the first American to win a downhill medal).Billy Kidd never took his cowboy hat off even in the dining room(no manners). Pat Cooper was one of the comedians on board(funny as hell).

Jump to 2009 Carnival Dream inaugaral CTN,we saw Marcia Gay Harden walking around getting VIP treatment(She's the ships Godmother).I have nothing against the actress,her father was a U.S. Navy captain and she comes from Queens,N.Y.(Yaaay)but I had just seen her in "The Mist" and I really wanted to kill her(character)who did'nt.

I'm envious of the poster who had Ernest(Poseidon Adventure) Borgnine,I hear he's really down to earth and cool.Imagine having him on a new years cruise? I'd have to ask him to yell "LIIIINDAAAAA" lol.

I forgot to mention in my Post #3; when Lou Ferrigno (Incredibke Hulk) was on our cruise, he was the only man that I can honestly say looked good in a "speedo" on a cruise ship !

Lorna Luft (one of Judy Garland's daughters) was a guest entertainer one evening aboard the somethingdam. The next night she sat up in the balcony with the passengers to watch that night's entertainment. She was dressed very casually and was very chatty with one and all. She even climbed over the seat on her way out!

On the Noordam wife and I became freindly with Nancy Taylor-Rosenburg and her hubby.

They were fun. I didn't even know who she was when we first met. Wife did though.

I live in a town filled with celebs. We ignore them. It's exactly what they want.

Gramps

I forgot to mention in my Post #3; when Lou Ferrigno (Incredibke Hulk) was on our cruise, he was the only man that I can honestly say looked good in a "speedo" on a cruise ship !

A good friend of mine was a former Mr. Olympia and Mr. Universe. (Sergio Oliva) When we attended his wedding, with many bodybuilders in attendance, it was noted by a friend that this was the first wedding he has attended where the men had bigger chests than the women.

That cracked me up.

Rich

myself i have not,,but back in mid to late 90s my parents were on the inagural cruise of the dawn princess,,and they had the origional cast of the Love Boat on there , gavin mcloud,,,issac the bartender,,,doc,,julie mcoy,,they said all were very nice and plesent to talk with

Archived