New Spirit Itineraries

purrlinda

So it looks like once they work out the initial kinks in itinerary dates it's going to alternate 5 and 9 night sailings.

The 5 nights are a day at sea, Cabo, Cabo, and a day at sea before returning to San Diego.

The 9 nights seem to vary a bit. For example, the Feb 11 sailing is Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, La Paz, Cabo, and Ensenada, but the Feb 25 is Cabo, Cabo, La Paz, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

Very interesting switch up. I'm sorry to see Ixtapa go, as I'd have liked to visit it. I think the Mazatlan, Cabo, and PVR stops are a bit redundant since the Splendor visits those ports as well, but the 2 night Cabo runs along with the addition of La Paz should hopefully entice some. I'd like to do the 9 day (the Feb 11th version) because it's lots and lots of ports.

ETA: I also like that the 9 days go Friday - Sunday so for a 9 day cruise I would only have to take off 1 week of work plus the previous Friday. Very nice.

I checked all the dates through March and no Acapulco or Ixtapa. I'm guessing it's because of fuel consumption going that far south, plus other factors. I feel bad for people who booked specifically for the ports. I did check the post Alaska dates and found nothing for Mexico on the Spirit so maybe the change isn't totally permanent.

I checked all the dates through March and no Acapulco or Ixtapa. I'm guessing it's because of fuel consumption going that far south, plus other factors. I feel bad for people who booked specifically for the ports. I did check the post Alaska dates and found nothing for Mexico on the Spirit so maybe the change isn't totally permanent.

I have a feeling that they are getting rid of Acapulco is because of all the violence........not a bad idea....

I have a feeling that they are getting rid of Acapulco is because of all the violence........not a bad idea....

That was one of my initial thoughts as well. It's probably a lot of combined factors. That Cabo/Cabo on the Elation was very popular so hopefully it will be a great seller for the Spirit. The pricing I'm seeing is really good and it should be a nice opportunity for those who haven't tried a balcony yet to enjoy it for the first time at a little lower of a cost.

I guess everyone is different! I suppose if you travel to go to the beach then Cabo is fine. We have lots of beaches here in San Diego so when I travel I like to have other experiences!

Guess I'll not go on the Spirit next year. I am sad:(

We have a cruise coming up[ in October, and I just checked Carnivals site. The itinerary is the same, still going to Acapulco and the other ports. However, it makes no difference to us what ports we visit. We've been on this same itinerary a few times as well as the Cab, Matzalan and PV. Change in itinerary doesn't bother us.

Love these new itineraries. Glad to see the 5 night back to back Cabo and to finally see La Paz on a regular schedule. La Paz is a hidden jewel. Great beaches and a class city. Not sure why they would add Ensenda to a nine night though. Doesn't the Paradise already go there twice a week?

There's much more violence in Baja near Ensenada than down in Acapulco!! Too bad, to me , 2 days in Cabo is a waste of my time! It is not really Mexico . More like Miami and a tender port too. Yuk!

Never heard anybody compare Cabo to Miami. Haven't run into too many Cubans in Cabo!

Here's their news release:

Carnival Cruise Lines will introduce a new one-of-a-kind schedule from San Diego encompassing five- and nine-day Mexican Riviera voyages aboard the 2,124-passenger Carnival Spirit beginning Dec. 10, 2010.

On this unique program, five-day cruises will visit the popular resort town of Cabo San Lucas for two full days, while nine-day cruises will also feature a two-day call in Cabo San Lucas in addition to visits to the stunning seaside destinations of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and La Paz, the first time this port has been featured as a regular stop on a Carnival itinerary.

The two-day visits to Cabo San Lucas were selected based on guest feedback requesting more time to enjoy this popular destination which is highlighted by its distinctive rock formations, lush landscape and aqua-blue waters teeming with tropical fish.

Nine-day cruises depart Friday and return Sunday so guests can enjoy a longer cruise with more time in the spectacular ports of call, all within a typical weekend-to-weekend vacation period. Five-day cruises depart Sunday and return Friday, offering the ideal short cruise vacation at an attractive price.

Nine-day cruises will also call at Puerto Vallarta, a charming city where guests can relax on gorgeous white-sand beaches or stroll along the famed Malecon, a seaside walkway lined with restaurants, art galleries, and shops. Also featured is Mazatlan, known as the Pearl of the Pacific for its beautiful beaches, abundant marine life, and myriad fishing and diving opportunities. Rounding out the itinerary is La Paz, a sun worshippers’ paradise famous for its excellent sportfishing, snorkeling and scuba diving, with white-sand beaches stretching the length of its magnificent waterfront.

Carnival Spirit will operate its new five- and nine-day Mexican Riviera schedule through April 1, 2011. The Carnival Spirit will then offer its previously scheduled 12-day Hawaii cruises (April 10 and 22, 2011) and a full season of seven-day Alaska cruises departing from Seattle (beginning May 10, 2011).

The new five- and nine-day cruises replace the Carnival Spirit’s previous eight-day Mexican Riviera program. Guests scheduled to sail on the eight-day voyages have the following options: switch to a new nine-day Mexican Riviera cruise with their eight-day cruise fare protected; re-book an alternate Carnival sailing and receive a $50 per person on-board credit; or cancel and receive a full refund. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

We are booked on the Feb. 24th 8 day and will likely convert to the 9 day. I'm bummed about missing Zihua but like La Paz being added. If it was violence, you would think they would pull the ports right away.

Well the press release explains it all.

I suppose we are in the minority in not finding Cabo interesting as a port.

I agree that La Paz is a nice addition to the itinerary.

I suppose Miami was a bad comparison.

I just meant that it is all hotels/golf courses etc. and more American in feel than I'd like for a cruise to Mexico.

Xihua had beaches but a lovely tropical feel to it so much nicer IMO.

<sigh> Hope we get back on the Spirit one day.

I really like the new itineraries though my only complaint would be that I wish Carnival would offer the 5 night to Cabo cruise through the summer. I'm looking for a cruise for 2011 and don't REALLY want to sail to Catalina/Ensenada for the 3rd time (though that cruise is better than no cruise :o).

Carnival changing up the Spirit's itinerary shows, to me, that they never should have take the Elation away especially if they are just doing this based on the popularity of Cabo :)

Doesn't the Paradise already go there twice a week?

Yes. Paradise goes to Ensenada on the 3 day and Catalina & Ensenada on the 4 day.

Since the Spirit is going to the same towns as the Splendor is doing now, maybe Carnival will have the Splendor do some Pacific Northwest cruises.

Archived