New Spirit Itineraries

purrlinda

Well the press release explains it all.

I suppose we are in the minority in not finding Cabo interesting as a port.

I agree that La Paz is a nice addition to the itinerary.

I suppose Miami was a bad comparison.

I just meant that it is all hotels/golf courses etc. and more American in feel than I'd like for a cruise to Mexico.

Xihua had beaches but a lovely tropical feel to it so much nicer IMO.

<sigh> Hope we get back on the Spirit one day.

I get your dissapointment. Cabo is one of our all time favorite ports. But you can have Mazatlan. I refer to it as Ensenada South. But there are many that love it.

We never went on the 8 day Spirit because we had heard alot of negative things about Acapulco from friends and family. While we wanted to get to Ixtapa and Manzanillo, we didn't want to book a 8 night cruise for only two ports. With the most recent killings in the tourist zone of Acapulco, I really think it was a no brainer to stop cruising there.

Yes. Paradise goes to Ensenada on the 3 day and Catalina & Ensenada on the 4 day.

Since the Spirit is going to the same towns as the Splendor is doing now, maybe Carnival will have the Splendor do some Pacific Northwest cruises.

I'm not sure they would send the Splendor north in the Summer. There is such a small window for good weather Northwest cruises from about the end of May to the end of September. The Spirit relocates in April for Hawaii/Alaska and with the Mariner gone, the Splendor will have no other competition for the Mexican Riviera 7 night cruises in the summer.

I'm not sure they would send the Splendor north in the Summer. There is such a small window for good weather Northwest cruises from about the end of May to the end of September. The Spirit relocates in April for Hawaii/Alaska and with the Mariner gone, the Splendor will have no other competition for the Mexican Riviera 7 night cruises in the summer.

We went on 1 of the Splendor Swine Flu cruises last May and had great weather. They usually have great weather up there in April too.

But from December - April, the Spirit and the Splendor will be going to the same ports with the exception of La Paz which makes little sense to go to the same ports. Carnival could have kept Zihua and Mazatlan and eliminated Acapulco if it was a matter of fuel. The other 2 ports (San Diego to Zihua = 1406 miles, to Mazatlan = 928 miles) are not that much different in mileage than from Long Beach to Puerto Vallarta (1206 miles).

But all in all, if the ships are going to the same ports, I would rather go on the Spirit since the cruises are generally cheaper and the parking is definitely cheaper.

We went on 1 of the Splendor Swine Flu cruises last May and had great weather. They usually have great weather up there in April too.

But from December - April, the Spirit and the Splendor will be going to the same ports with the exception of La Paz which makes little sense to go to the same ports. Carnival could have kept Zihua and Mazatlan and eliminated Acapulco if it was a matter of fuel. The other 2 ports (San Diego to Zihua = 1406 miles, to Mazatlan = 928 miles) are not that much different in mileage than from Long Beach to Puerto Vallarta (1206 miles).

But all in all, if the ships are going to the same ports, I would rather go on the Spirit since the cruises are generally cheaper and the parking is definitely cheaper.

LOL! If memory serves me right the first official swine flu cruise went up north in April and the weather was horrible:p I don't believe they will take the Splendor away from the Mexican Riviera in their prime season....summer..

And especially now since the Mariner will be pulling out.......

This new schedule makes perfect sense because of the alternating 5 and 9 day cruises.....while some of the ports are the same... the back to back Cabo and La Paz is the big difference because this is what alot of people have been asking for.....

Don't be so sure about that. I've lived in the Pacific NW my entire life and it's usually cold and rainy until July for a large part. We do have a few nice days scattered about as early as April but most of the time in April it's rainy and cool.

But they cruise to Alaska and that's not a warm weather cruise either.

About the violence , we have only heard of one incident in Acapulco and no others since! There is constant talk about the violence in Baja , where Ensenada is located.

We loved our time in Acapulco so don't know why people complain about it.

It will be interesting to see how the prices work out between the Splendor and the Spirit. I'd expect higher prices for a longer cruise.

About the violence , we have only heard of one incident in Acapulco and no others since! There is constant talk about the violence in Baja , where Ensenada is located.

We loved our time in Acapulco so don't know why people complain about it.

It will be interesting to see how the prices work out between the Splendor and the Spirit. I'd expect higher prices for a longer cruise.

The violence in Acapulco was smack in the center of the hotel zone.........which is where alot of cruise passengers will be.......nothing even close to this is happening in Ensenada........

Correct me if I am wrong, but if they took any ship North, it would have to stop in Vancouver to be legal. Awfully long run in 7 days roundtrip. HAL is doing a four day nonstop San Diego to Vancouver for repositioning.

There's much more violence in Baja near Ensenada than down in Acapulco!! Too bad, to me , 2 days in Cabo is a waste of my time! It is not really Mexico . More like Miami and a tender port too. Yuk!

How many cruise passengers have been hurt by drug violence in Ensenada?

IMHO there is a lot more direct violence toward cruise passengers in the Caribbean then in west coast Mexico resort towns.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if they took any ship North, it would have to stop in Vancouver to be legal. Awfully long run in 7 days roundtrip. HAL is doing a four day nonstop San Diego to Vancouver for repositioning.

Or Victoria........it's already been done......

It would have to stop in Vancouver or Victoria.

Carnival changing up the Spirit's itinerary shows, to me, that they never should have take the Elation away especially if they are just doing this based on the popularity of Cabo :)

Yes I agree! We love the Elation,but we like the Spirit as well. I would have waited to book for December if I would have known about these changes. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that they are getting rid of Acapulco is because of all the violence........not a bad idea....

May be, but major cruiselines still stop in Acapulco on their way to the canal or South America.

The ovenight in Cabo is attractive, although all passengers must return to the ship at night.

May be, but major cruiselines still stop in Acapulco on their way to the canal or South America.

With the Elation leavng San Diego permanently at the end of this month,

that ship's short itinerary will be taken over, somewhat, by the Spirit.

The ovenight in Cabo is attractive, although all passengers must return to the ship at night.

Why do you half to return to the ship at night??? I do not think so.

BG

Why do you half to return to the ship at night??? I do not think so.

BG

The ship doesn't run tender service all night long.

Also pax have to be back onboard and accounted for in case the ship needs to leave (weather, emergency, etc).

i am super excited about the 9 day sailings but i am looking to sail in fall 2011. i know the spirit will be in alaska through spetember. i am waiting for carnival to release where the spirit will be after this so hopefully i can book a 9 night mex riviera in oct or november if it comes back. im keeping my fingers crossed!! was planning on going on the mariner and after a months worht of research we all know waht happened....so this is my next sailing that actually interested me again!!!

Too bad April 1 goes to Ensenada instead of La Paz. :(

Gina

My exact feelings! I don't understand why they did that. Ensenada is not of interest to me but I like the idea of a 9 day cruise. Already booked on Miracle in Jan. for new itenerary so I have to wait till April. Guess I'm stuck with Ensenada.:(

Pat

The problems in Baja are in the border towns (Tijuana, Mexicali). I've been to Ensenada 7 times and have only seen the army one time (when there was a lot of violence in Tijuana last year).

Last year in May and June due to the Swine flu scare, the Splendor did RT went to Astoria, Victoria & Vancouver from Long Beach.

The farthest port for the Splendor cruising to Mexico is: Long Beach to Puerto Vallarta = 1206 miles

The farthest port for the Splendor cruising to Canada isLong Beach to Vancouver = 1099 miles

So it is actually closer to go to Canada than it is to go to Mexico (PV)

The prices are now posted. LOL What a joke. Who do they think they are kidding? I will definitely opt out. Especially the 4/1 that goes to Ensenada. And they make you be on the ship at 7 in Cabo? No way. The prices are outrageous. I've been on Carnival, liked it, but not at that price.

Carnival will never get RCI's MR passengers with prices like this.

Gina

Archived