Ladies, would you prefer being surprised?

MikeyA53

probably, def in the minority, yet im the type who'd want to pick out her own replacement ring & wouldn't want to do the vow renewal;)

u know ur DW best, it's a sweet idea that im sure most ladies would go ga-ga over.:)

i think she'd be so surprised. first to have her parents, then for you to re-propose. remember you have elegant night. maybe suggest to really do up one elegant night and wear something special. that way she'll have a dress. it's a renewal of your love to each other, what she'll wear won't really matter. :) i think its just great of you to do this. i think she'll love it! have a great time!

I agree 110% with this. Surprise all the way! :)

Actually, I would want to kill my husband for not telling me. But this is a wonderful thing for you to do. Does she know her parents are coming? Or is that part of the surprise?

you know her best, including if she likes surprises. But you could talk her into getting a special dress for the cruise, without spoiling the surprise

One more vote for the surprise, as long as you think she would be ok with it. If she gets embarassed easily in front of people I would say to do it privately. And I also like the idea of having her bring a special dress for "pictures". Like the others have said, it is very sweet of you to do this, and be so thoughtful! I would love love love my dh to surprise me with anything! He's not exactly the romantic kind either.... :( but I'm stuck with him! :)

Ramona

Are your kids going also? If not, I would think she might want them along as well...;)

If your kids and her parents are going...then what a wonderful surprise!!!! Just make sure you let someone else in on the plan- so you'll have someone taking pictures and maybe some video. I bet the look on her face will be priceless...be sure to get down on one knee- really go the whole 9 yards!!!!! :)

She is very lucky!!!! Have a wonderful time!!!!!!!

we have been married for 17 years and have two teenage kids. My wife had her ring stolen a few years back and i was planning on surprising her by proposing again with a new ring at the scarletts steakhouse on our valor cruise and then renewing our vows the next night. To make it even more special her parents who are from the uk will be joining us for the valor cruise.

The question is, would you prefer being surprised or would you rather be proposed to before the cruise so that you can plan ahead by getting the perfect dress, jewelry, etc. For the ceremony.

surprise!

I am a PLANNER, so if my husband told me in advance, I would probably take over and ruin the whole experience. He has surprised me with many special gifts at sea and I remember the exact situations. So...definitely the surprise, the fact that you will be doing all the planning and she will just be able to show up is amazing. Have an awesome time!

I'm happy that the overwhelming response is to surprise her, she has never let me forget that the first time I proposed to her it was not very romantic. I took her for granted back then.

To answer a few of the questions posed by some of you, the kids are coming on the cruise but I don't plan on them being at the Scarletts Steakhouse when I propose but they will be at the ceremony.

My wife does know her parents are coming.

For the past couple of years everytime we are were a jewelry store I got her to show me what kind of ring we would like as replacement for the one she had stolen, hinting that she probably get it on our 20th or 25th anniversary. Therefore I know exactly the ring to get since she picked it out a while back.

The plan is to propose at Scarletts with the ring and then the whole family would know that we are renewing our vows the next night, giving her a day to plan for it.

I would like to tell someone but I can't be sure they won't slip up.

I am a planning FREAK, to the point that it is obsessive! I want to know EVERY little detail and come across as little surprises as possible. :rolleyes:

That being said, SURPRISE HER!!! :D

Imagining that kind of surprise even made me tear up a little, and if it was me, even if I only had jeans and a t-shirt I wouldn't care! I would take the surprise any day!

I'm happy that the overwhelming response is to surprise her, she has never let me forget that the first time I proposed to her it was not very romantic. I took her for granted back then.

To answer a few of the questions posed by some of you, the kids are coming on the cruise but I don't plan on them being at the Scarletts Steakhouse when I propose but they will be at the ceremony.

My wife does know her parents are coming.

For the past couple of years everytime we are were a jewelry store I got her to show me what kind of ring we would like as replacement for the one she had stolen, hinting that she probably get it on our 20th or 25th anniversary. Therefore I know exactly the ring to get since she picked it out a while back.

The plan is to propose at Scarletts with the ring and then the whole family would know that we are renewing our vows the next night, giving her a day to plan for it.

I would like to tell someone but I can't be sure they won't slip up.

Well, at the last minute I decided to read something on CC today. I must say you made my day. I am from a big family ...hard to mess up your plans...I must add my vote for the surprise and keeping it to yourself. I work in a business where I keep confidences but these kind of surprises are hard to be quiet about with loved one's excitement ...even older loved ones.

Also just suggest you want to dress up a little more for a few nights...the fun you all will have is immeasurable..the example will be uplifting to all.

Only caveat..you know your wife's surprise tolerance etc.

Short story..last Thanksgiving was my folks 51rst. We did the 50th on a long planned and saved for family (16) condo renting Hawaii trip over Christmastime. 51rst had to be simple at home dinner for the family part.

One sister had her musician school teaching and little hire out duo couple friends arrive at the house while we were all picking up dinner..half of us didn't even see them come in...(including me who went outside and walked right past them at one point putting stuff in the car..so many people and it was 10 below zero)...well on my way back into the house the sax and piano music had just started in the living room and mom and dad were instantly dancing...surprised and in tears...go for the surprise..and thanks for lifting us all up..with hope...and love.

Reminded me of what is worth seeking and waiting for...thank you.

Archived