Ladies, would you prefer being surprised?

MikeyA53

MikeA53.....I do hope you will let us all know how it turns out after the surprise. We want pictures, videos....the whole works! LOL

Please, if at all comfortable, I would be thrilled to get the apres story too!!!

Of course I vote for the surprise. How romantic! I wish my DH would so something to surprise me. He's so predictable.( I plan all the surprises for him such as a romantic getaway for our anniversary I actually took him out of the country before I told him.That was a good twenty years ago.) Your right not to tell anyone as there is always someone who can't keep their mouth shut about a surprise. Doxie:cool::)

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased the ring yesterday, now the long wait begins. Decided not to tell anyone, it's the only sure way to surprise her. Brought her shopping for a really special dress last week, she has one picked out, actually I picked it out and she loved it. Told her she should get it for the family photo with her parents.

Asking for suggestions as to when I should book Scarletts where I will be giving her her ring and telling her that we will be renewing our vows the next night. I plan on getting down on one knee (hope I don't chicken out since I didn't do it the first time around).

We were discussing our trip with friends last week and she mentionned that she would love to renew our vows on our 20th or 25th. If she only knew I've been thinking about it since last fall.

ooh. HOw romantic.

I would love the surprise, but I would be a little upset if I didn't have a NICE dress to wear.

If you make sure she has a dress that she feels WONDERFUL in, then you are GOOD to go :)

Congrats by the way! I know your cruise will be fabulous :D

Renewal (if done BY the ship) will only be on a sea day. Ours was at 4pm on the last sea day.

Soooo, I would Propose the FIRST night in case your vow renewal is the 1st sea day....

How exciting.

I think that if it were me, I'd freak out by the surprise. I'd probably wish I had something there with me that I had left at home - something from the original wedding. I am sentimental like that. I would also want a very special dress and jewelry (probably something sentimental again). I think I'd be disappointed about not being able to plan something so momentous as that.

Having said that, the thought put into it might outweigh all the negatives. I still think something like that might be better planned in advanced, but I don't think that I have it in me to tell you that surprising her is a bad idea.

I would love to be surprised. As other posters have already said, she will be bringing nice clothes for formal night.

Your wife is very lucky to have such a thoughtful husband!!:):)

I agree with everything in this post. Again what a wonderful thought.

Planning this is a classy thing to do. Surprising her shows such forethought on your part.

I'm sure the cruise will be fun and romantic before the proposal and vow renewal, but be prepared for things to *notch up* after the events, if ya know what I mean. ;) :D

We have been married for 17 years and have two teenage kids. My wife had her ring stolen a few years back and I was planning on surprising her by proposing again with a new ring at the Scarletts Steakhouse on our Valor Cruise and then renewing our vows the next night. To make it even more special her parents who are from the UK will be joining us for the Valor cruise.

The question is, would you prefer being surprised or would you rather be proposed to before the cruise so that you can plan ahead by getting the perfect dress, jewelry, etc. for the ceremony.

Definitely surprise her!! I get teary-eyed just thinking about it!! I hope it all goes well.

Purchased the ring yesterday, now the long wait begins. Decided not to tell anyone, it's the only sure way to surprise her. Brought her shopping for a really special dress last week, she has one picked out, actually I picked it out and she loved it. Told her she should get it for the family photo with her parents.

Asking for suggestions as to when I should book Scarletts where I will be giving her her ring and telling her that we will be renewing our vows the next night. I plan on getting down on one knee (hope I don't chicken out since I didn't do it the first time around).

We were discussing our trip with friends last week and she mentionned that she would love to renew our vows on our 20th or 25th. If she only knew I've been thinking about it since last fall.

When you get on board go to the purser's desk and let them know what you have planned and ask them to help you set up a photographer to take pictures for you when you propose :)

Surprise her! I like the suggestion above that you recommend really going "fancy" for formal night to get a good portrait etc.

I think it's a wonderful idea. She's lucky to have you!

Or propose during the formal night portrait.. tell the photographer what you are about to do so he is ready to get her reaction!

Oh, totally go for the surprise! I would be THRILLED to have a husband who went through that much trouble for a surprise like that!

Would she think something was up if you told her you wanted to make a big thing out of formal night and told her she should go buy a really nice formal gown to bring along? Unless she is the type to have something like that in the closet (that still fits - we women tend to shrink and expand from time to time once we pass our twenties), you may have to convince her to go buy it ... however ... you know your wife best ... will her clothes matter that much to her? Maybe you could renew on the beach or on deck in less formal attire ... still beautiful, more sensible, and probably a lot more fun ...

Either way ... go for the surprise. You're an awesome husband (from women everywhere *laugh*)!

***EDIT *** oops, just saw that you already did almost exactly what I was suggesting ... guess I should learn to read the whole thread before I open my big yap!

ooh. HOw romantic.

I would love the surprise, but I would be a little upset if I didn't have a NICE dress to wear.

If you make sure she has a dress that she feels WONDERFUL in, then you are GOOD to go :)

Congrats by the way! I know your cruise will be fabulous :D

Renewal (if done BY the ship) will only be on a sea day. Ours was at 4pm on the last sea day.

Soooo, I would Propose the FIRST night in case your vow renewal is the 1st sea day....

How exciting.

Thanks cookc61462, I didn't know that renewals are only on sea days, its going to take a bit of planning since there are only two sea days to choose from, the 2nd and the 6th day. I also want to give her ring the night before at Scarletts restaurant and I would rather not miss any formal nights in the dining room.

Did you book ahead of the cruise or the day you boarded, did the captain perform the renewal of the vows, I read somewhere that it's not guaranteed that he will be there, might be another officer.

Archived