Ladies, would you prefer being surprised?

MikeyA53

I have seen this post for some time, but didnt respond because I honestly didnt know which I would prefer. So, after giving it some thought, I am leaning towards preferring the surprise. :)

However; either way, I would think your wife will be thrilled. And I think you a very considerate husband for wondering about it, and asking.

Whichever way you decide, Im sure your wife will be thrilled!:)

Thanks cookc61462, I didn't know that renewals are only on sea days, its going to take a bit of planning since there are only two sea days to choose from, the 2nd and the 6th day. I also want to give her ring the night before at Scarletts restaurant and I would rather not miss any formal nights in the dining room.

Did you book ahead of the cruise or the day you boarded, did the captain perform the renewal of the vows, I read somewhere that it's not guaranteed that he will be there, might be another officer.

Mikey,

I called in Mar before our cruise in May to book the vow renewal. I am fairly certain you can't book once on board.... So I would call now.

I called the wedding planning part of carnival. They are VERY helpful. We did the "deluxe" vow renewal, which included drinks and hot and cold hors devours. The drinks (all alcohol too) were for one hour. I also had the photographer for the time of the ceremony AND he took us around ship for other pics afterwards. It was a formal night, so we blended right in with our fine clothes on.

Yes, the Captain performed the ceremony. It was awesome :)

I think you should book the Scarlet room the FIRST night and propose then. Don't tell her about the vow renewal (you will NOT know until you actually get on ship WHEN it will be- they will call you that first day and tell you where and when). Tell Carnival that it is a SURPRISE for your wife and you don't want her to know about it (the coordinator called our stateroom the first day to let me know where and when. It was the 2nd sea day by the way. I was really hoping it would be on our actual anniversary... but it was fine really!) maybe they will take your cell phone number and call it instead of the stateroom... Or maybe you can arrange to call THEM and ask.

The vow renewal was at 4 pm. We had late seating in the DR. so that was fine except we got the Deluxe renewal, which included the food and there was NO WAY we could eat it all. it could have fed 40 people and there were only 8 of us!. So you won't need much to eat IF you are getting the deluxe renewal. We also wanted most (if not all) of the photos that were taken (they were REALLY good). we did not have a photographer at our "first" wedding so we really loved these pics. I did talk them down ;)

I know you will have a fabulous time and everything will work out very well. I just don't want you to have too many questions about how when and where so CALL Carnival tomorrow (weddings dept) and get things set up! If you have any other questions, just ask. be happy to help!

Mikey,

I called in Mar before our cruise in May to book the vow renewal. I am fairly certain you can't book once on board.... So I would call now.

I called the wedding planning part of carnival. They are VERY helpful. We did the "deluxe" vow renewal, which included drinks and hot and cold hors devours. The drinks (all alcohol too) were for one hour. I also had the photographer for the time of the ceremony AND he took us around ship for other pics afterwards. It was a formal night, so we blended right in with our fine clothes on.

Yes, the Captain performed the ceremony. It was awesome :)

I think you should book the Scarlet room the FIRST night and propose then. Don't tell her about the vow renewal (you will NOT know until you actually get on ship WHEN it will be- they will call you that first day and tell you where and when). Tell Carnival that it is a SURPRISE for your wife and you don't want her to know about it (the coordinator called our stateroom the first day to let me know where and when. It was the 2nd sea day by the way. I was really hoping it would be on our actual anniversary... but it was fine really!) maybe they will take your cell phone number and call it instead of the stateroom... Or maybe you can arrange to call THEM and ask.

The vow renewal was at 4 pm. We had late seating in the DR. so that was fine except we got the Deluxe renewal, which included the food and there was NO WAY we could eat it all. it could have fed 40 people and there were only 8 of us!. So you won't need much to eat IF you are getting the deluxe renewal. We also wanted most (if not all) of the photos that were taken (they were REALLY good). we did not have a photographer at our "first" wedding so we really loved these pics. I did talk them down ;)

I know you will have a fabulous time and everything will work out very well. I just don't want you to have too many questions about how when and where so CALL Carnival tomorrow (weddings dept) and get things set up! If you have any other questions, just ask. be happy to help!

I called wedding planning today and she told me that I can book the renewal the day we board, no problem. She said that the Captain will always make time to perform the ceremony on sea days. You would think that's when he should be busy rather than when they are in port?

I also saw a recent Valor capers on this forum advertising " book your wedding renewal vows"

As mentioned earlier I would like to propose to her again in the Scarletts restaurant but I would rather not do it on the first night. Her parents (first time cruisers) would also be at the restaurant which I think would be a nice touch.

My wife would think I'm crazy if I booked Scarletts on our first night to then spend the rest of the week comparing Scarletts to the MDR if you know what I mean.

If they can't accommodate my request to have our renewal on the last sea day what I will do since we are doing back to back cruise with her parents on the Valor and Freedom, I will book it on the Freedom. Thank you cookc61462 and everybody else who responded. Mike

When they do the vow renewal they will ask for two witness signatures, I know her parents will be along, however we re-newed our vows on our 25th Wedding Anniversary and our 2 teenage sons were along and they were our witnesses and that certiifcate is really special to me as it meant our family was all together and that my sons were able to share in the love and romance that My Husband and I share and perhaps do the same for thier wives someday. Just My Opinion. And it was a surprise vow renewal and it was perfect. Have a fabulous time your wife is a lucky lady!!

I am not one for surprises, but would LOVE a surprise like you are doing. That is fantastic!! I wish my DH would think of something like this. I also say don't tell anyone, as it may slip out. I like a previous poster's idea about telling her to bring a really extra nice dress to do a family photo. You could also make a reservation for her to get her hair done in the salon. Have a great cruise! I look forward to reading your review.

When they do the vow renewal they will ask for two witness signatures, I know her parents will be along, however we re-newed our vows on our 25th Wedding Anniversary and our 2 teenage sons were along and they were our witnesses and that certiifcate is really special to me as it meant our family was all together and that my sons were able to share in the love and romance that My Husband and I share and perhaps do the same for thier wives someday. Just My Opinion. And it was a surprise vow renewal and it was perfect. Have a fabulous time your wife is a lucky lady!!

I love your suggestion, our kids Arielle 15 and Mitchel 14 will be there and if allow them to sign the certificate despite their age that would be great. Thank you.

I think it is a very sweet, thoughtful and romantic idea you have planned. I would personally prefer to be surprised with something like that. Just be sure she has something packed that you think she would want to wear for such an occasion.

Something a friend of mine planned was to propose while on one of our excursions. We were standing on the float of a seaplane in the middle of a beautiful glacier lake in Alaska. I had the cameras going ready for him to do it... he chickened out and proposed to her that night after dinner instead. :rolleyes:

Have fun with it whatever you do. Pretty sure she'll love the surprise. ;)

• 4 months later...

Archived