Ladies, would you prefer being surprised?

MikeyA53

We have been married for 17 years and have two teenage kids. My wife had her ring stolen a few years back and I was planning on surprising her by proposing again with a new ring at the Scarletts Steakhouse on our Valor Cruise and then renewing our vows the next night. To make it even more special her parents who are from the UK will be joining us for the Valor cruise.

The question is, would you prefer being surprised or would you rather be proposed to before the cruise so that you can plan ahead by getting the perfect dress, jewelry, etc. for the ceremony.

i think she'd be so surprised. first to have her parents, then for you to re-propose. remember you have elegant night. maybe suggest to really do up one elegant night and wear something special. that way she'll have a dress. it's a renewal of your love to each other, what she'll wear won't really matter. :) i think its just great of you to do this. i think she'll love it! have a great time!

Congrats! Personally I would want to be surprised. Just the idea that you would plan this says alot. She will be bringing with her dressy clothes for formal night anyway, so that's not an issue. You could always "suggest" that she bring something special- use the ruse that you want a nice portrait of the whole family, since her parents are coming. If you think she would want to wear white, suggest it as a color theme for the picture.

Have fun on your cruise.

I think I would rather be proposed to before so that I could plan a little. I know that the cruise itself is something to look forward to but if you proposed before then she would be overflowing with excitement and the planning would be that much more fun!! Congratulations and kudos to you!! It sounds like your wife is a very lucky woman!! :)

You know her better than we do - if you think she's the type who would rather bring really special things for something lovely like that, I'd at least "tease" her with a little information so she'll bring her nicer things.

I, on the other hand, love surprises and would totally embrace something like you're planning!

Even though I am a control freak, I would prefer the surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is very romantic btw. :)

Ditto. I was thinking the same thing.

Don't let her know. It will be a surprise she will remember and talk about the rest of your lives. What a wonderful, thoughtful idea. Enjoy your cruise.

Oh man.. that is the sweetest thing!!!!

If it were me I would say forget the dress... that's secondary considering she should already have a dress on board!!! You should ABSOLUTELY surprise her on board with the proposal, ring and the renewal... Oh my goodness... I would be in tears if my husband did something like this for me! Way to go you!!! BIG POINTS! :D

Wow - I think you have all the ladies melting right now - I would definitely go for the surprise factor. As far as the jewelery goes - I think the ring would be the icing. And as far as dressing - I wouldn't care if I was in sweats - it is the thought and gesture that make the event not the trappings, however, I like the idea of taking something nice for a family portrait excuse.

we have been married for 17 years and have two teenage kids. My wife had her ring stolen a few years back and i was planning on surprising her by proposing again with a new ring at the scarletts steakhouse on our valor cruise and then renewing our vows the next night. To make it even more special her parents who are from the uk will be joining us for the valor cruise.

The question is, would you prefer being surprised or would you rather be proposed to before the cruise so that you can plan ahead by getting the perfect dress, jewelry, etc. For the ceremony.

surprise!!!!

How romantic!!!!! :)Surprise her!:D I hate surprises because I no longer feel like I have control, but I would definitely be OK with this. Make sure you really pack something fancy./dressy for yourself so she know to pack something dessy for herself.

Archived