To "formal" or to not ... that is the question.

scdreamer

Not sure if this has been discussed ... probably has, but I can't find it anywhere.

We are on Millennium (Vancouver to Anchorage) later this summer, and not sure about bringing a suit for my husband - we will be traveling to the Queen Charlotte Islands the week prior, planning many outdoor activities, and packing is going to be a challenge.

We were considering skipping the formal nights, but I am wondering ... aside from the fancy duds, are formal nights somehow more special in other aspects? Is the menu "better" in some way on formal nights in the MDR? Are there special reasons that formal night should not be missed?

We find that we're skipping them more and more often these days, but with you being in Alaska, your dining options are a bit less- no balcony dining from room service. The menu's are supposed to be a bit more special those evenings, but whether the food is actually better those nights remains to be seen. If you want to go to formal night, he could rent a tux onboard.

Not sure if this has been discussed ... probably has, but I can't find it anywhere.

We are on Millennium (Vancouver to Anchorage) later this summer, and not sure about bringing a suit for my husband - we will be traveling to the Queen Charlotte Islands the week prior, planning many outdoor activities, and packing is going to be a challenge.

We were considering skipping the formal nights, but I am wondering ... aside from the fancy duds, are formal nights somehow more special in other aspects? Is the menu "better" in some way on formal nights in the MDR? Are there special reasons that formal night should not be missed?

It is a question to which you will receive more responses than you ever thought possible and that you would ever want. Get ready for the deluge...

As far as my opinion on that matter, I would say that from my perspective "formal nights" are nothing special. Yes, you do get a chance to dress up and so do many passangers but definiely not all. Some passangers want to do it "their way" and rather than dress up in commonly agreed upon definition of what constitutes formal wear, they choose to "express themselves" or simply don't want to put forth the extra effort.

As far as food is concerned, yes, they will have a bit of an "upscale" menu but, in my opinion, it is not that special. As a matter of fact, I found menu on some regular days to be better than on formal nights. And, of course, they will push the "Baked Alaska" experience and unless you request otherwise (and are prepared to receive some scornful looks form other passangers and/or the waiter) you WILL be enjoying Baked Alaska, like it or not :)

Another "extra" on formal nights are the formal portraits which you can have taken of you and your family or traveling companions. This is set up on your way to the MDR. I never liked the idea just as I dislike the constantly present photographers coming around to each table or the ever present photographers present as you leave the ship to go to port.

Let me put it this way: I truly dislike posed photography. I much prefer photos taken on the spur of the moment while you are engaged in something that brings a genuine smile to your face, not a forced, pasted on smile of a posed photograph. This is just my view, others will have theirs, no doubt.

So, to sum it up, I would gladly skip the formal nights (and have done so many times). In fact, one of the attractions of my recent cruise was a complete absence of formal nights (on Azamara).

Well, now you know my views; get ready for more....

Another "extra" on formal nights are the formal portraits which you can have taken of you and your family or traveling companions. This is set up on your way to the MDR. I never liked the idea just as I dislike the constantly present photographers coming around to each table or the ever present photographers present as you leave the ship to go to port.

Let me put it this way: I truly dislike posed photography. I much prefer photos taken on the spur of the moment while you are engaged in something that brings a genuine smile to your face, not a forced, pasted on smile of a posed photograph. This is just my view, others will have theirs, no doubt..

Last year on the Infinity we dressed up, me in a tux and the wife in a beautiful gown. Since we were dressed up we did the portrait thing before and after dinner. The photos turned out better than any portraits we had taken before, and now are our favorite photos from the cruise. The photographers we encountered were very good. We now have the perfect 'posed' portraits we always wanted, and had a formal night on a cruise ship to thank for it.

We did formal night on our Equinox cruise - the first time for formal night in a few years. After the Equinox cruise we agreed, unless it's extenuating circumstances there will be no more formal nights for us.

There are other options for us on those nights for eating and drinking. Plus, hubby and I always dress very nicely every evening so I'm not concerned about being out of place.

Judy

I'm becoming more and more a minority. I love dressing up on formal night. It reminds me of the elegance I used to see in old movies, and I just feel a little bit special in formal wear. During the day I wear short and tees, but I want to dress up a bit when I'm in the elegant main dining room.

It is a question to which you will receive more responses than you ever thought possible and that you would ever want. Get ready for the deluge...

As far as my opinion on that matter, I would say that from my perspective "formal nights" are nothing special. Yes, you do get a chance to dress up and so do many passangers but definiely not all. Some passangers want to do it "their way" and rather than dress up in commonly agreed upon definition of what constitutes formal wear, they choose to "express themselves" or simply don't want to put forth the extra effort.

As far as food is concerned, yes, they will have a bit of an "upscale" menu but, in my opinion, it is not that special. As a matter of fact, I found menu on some regular days to be better than on formal nights. And, of course, they will push the "Baked Alaska" experience and unless you request otherwise (and are prepared to receive some scornful looks form other passangers and/or the waiter) you WILL be enjoying Baked Alaska, like it or not :)

Let me put it this way: I truly dislike posed photography. I much prefer photos taken on the spur of the moment while you are engaged in something that brings a genuine smile to your face, not a forced, pasted on smile of a posed photograph. This is just my view, others will have theirs, no doubt.

So, to sum it up, I would gladly skip the formal nights (and have done so many times). In fact, one of the attractions of my recent cruise was a complete absence of formal nights (on Azamara).

Well, now you know my views; get ready for more....

I totally agree with George. We took a cruise (4/1/1010) on Azamara and loved the lack for formal night. There were a few of evenings we saw couples dressed in formalwear and it didn't upset our cruise experience whatsoever;)

I'm becoming more and more a minority. I love dressing up on formal night. It reminds me of the elegance I used to see in old movies, and I just feel a little bit special in formal wear. During the day I wear short and tees, but I want to dress up a bit when I'm in the elegant main dining room.

No you're not in the minority. We also enjoy "dressing up". It gives the evening a very special atmosphere. Our philosophy is...you have the wear SOMETHING...why not dress according to the that evening's dresscode!

Also, less than 5% of the cruising public ever post on Cruise Critic, so the opinions and observations are the ones in the miniorty...cruise-wise (including my own).

We too have always enjoyed dressing up, especially when we travel with others. Enjoy getting pictures taken, and the atmosphere.

Do see that more and more less formal and trend to suits for men and a little less formal for women. Also, see many eating at other venues now that there are these other options on formal night.

On our recent S. American/Antarctica cruise, I opted for just a dark jacket vs tux. Missed getting dressed up, but also had to pack for summer/spring and winter type weather and something had to give.

Next up is Allure of Seas and will bring tux. :)

Altho we don't mind dressing for formal nights, I find the menu in the MDR nothing THAT special on those nights and wouldn't miss it much. It's the atmosphere that really is different, especially the first formal night which tends to be glitzier.

Since you'll be on M class you can always go smart casual to the alternative dining in the buffet area. Menu, waiters, linens etc. You pay $2.00 a person for the tip. LOTS use that option on Alaskan cruises, so make sure you make a reservation. You can also order anything from the dinner menu to be delivered room service. Or visit the buffet, which is less than the lunch buffets but enough to choose from and fill up.

This is also an issue for us with 4 going on a July Alaska cruise. Packing is certainly a challenge with the potential temperature variation on a daily or maybe even hourly basis being 40+ degrees. This is not a discussion as to whether formal attire should be worn on formal nights as I believe clearly stated dress codes should be followed. It, to me is a discussion of available packing space and would I rather pack more clothes I can use on excursions etc or a suit/tux and shoes for myself and 2 sons. I realize you can rent on board but I have a thing against wearing "other people's clothes". Also, Although I don't see us transtioning too well as a family from hiking boots to formal wear. :)

So it looks like we will be skipping formal nights and dining in our room. Which is fine by me and certainly my boys.

B.

This is also an issue for us with 4 going on a July Alaska cruise. Packing is certainly a challenge with the potential temperature variation on a daily or maybe even hourly basis being 40+ degrees. This is not a discussion as to whether formal attire should be worn on formal nights as I believe clearly stated dress codes should be followed. It, to me is a discussion of available packing space and would I rather pack more clothes I can use on excursions etc or a suit/tux and shoes for myself and 2 sons. I realize you can rent on board but I have a thing against wearing "other people's clothes". Also, Although I don't see us transtioning too well as a family from hiking boots to formal wear. :)

So it looks like we will be skipping formal nights and dining in our room. Which is fine by me and certainly my boys.

B.

There are other alternatives if you prefer to skip the main dining room on formal night. I mean you can eat in your room, but if you want to go out,

see the previous post by eandj.

I also enjoy formal nights.

We were just on the Celebrity Solstice. In MDR on casual night, saw many younger men

in jeans and shirts tails out. I said something to head staff as to why jeans are allowed in MDR. Was told that jeans are allowed. I disagreed. If that is the case, why is that not mentioned on the Celebrity Dress Code site???

That's why cruiseng is so great. If you don't want to dress you don't have to. We love to dress up for dinner and I do kind of dressy every night. I wear Jeans to work most days. If I had to fly I may rethink the dressy cloths too.

I love to dress up for dinner as well:). I sail in 2.5 weeks and cannot wait:D. I am flying and will have one checked bag and one carry on. I know

there is a charge for the checked bag and that is part of my cruise. The regular checked bag holds everything I need, even formal stuff:)

The carry on has the jewlery, extra clothing, toiletries, stuff I want with me. And always a change of clothing too!

My office is quite casual too...jeans on Fridays...but casual the rest of the time too.

I am with you and really enjoy "dressing for dinner". I guess we are in the minority.

I am with you and really enjoy "dressing for dinner". I guess we are in the minority.

My dh wears suit and tie to work every day and he STILL likes our formal dress up nights onboard too. He enjoys seeing me in cocktail dresses I don't wear around home regularly. Seeing he is happy makes it a pleasure for me too.;)

I also enjoy formal nights.

We were just on the Celebrity Solstice. In MDR on casual night, saw many younger men

in jeans and shirts tails out. I said something to head staff as to why jeans are allowed in MDR. Was told that jeans are allowed. I disagreed. If that is the case, why is that not mentioned on the Celebrity Dress Code site???

From the Web site:

"Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

In the dress guildelines, I do not see that jeans are not allowed (assuming they are not the ripped and torn type). Assuming the shirts had sleeves if the tails were "out" that also does not seem to be an issue.

I'm not a "jeans" person myself, but I do not see where they are prohibited?

Did I miss something, I thought OP's question was are formal dinners "special" not do you enjoy dressing up. For the record, I'm not thrilled with "dressing up" myself but we bring appropriate stuff for formal night (I even wear makeup :eek:).

But are formal nights something "not to be missed?" No, if you aren't into formal dress, if you have a problem packing, or whatever; you are not missing the experience of a lifetime by choosing to forego formal night.

The chef may disagree, but I don't see that the menu or food is necessarily more special (although we have done some holiday cruises and the holiday meals are generally a bit more special - in 09 for Tgiving we had three extra courses and complementary wine)

Because people are getting portraits taken, the formal night service tends to be a bit delayed.

As to the comment that balcony dining is "out" on an AK cruise, I'd disagree. On our last AK cruise (first week in June) we ate dinner on the balcony twice very comfortably. So for a "summer" cruise I would not discount that possibility.

From the Web site:

"Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

In the dress guildelines, I do not see that jeans are not allowed (assuming they are not the ripped and torn type). Assuming the shirts had sleeves if the tails were "out" that also does not seem to be an issue.

I'm not a "jeans" person myself, but I do not see where they are prohibited?

Here is Celebrity's main page on dress codes, please note in the area under "Before Six" and you will see the jeans prohibition for MDR which was the question.

Please note: I am only answering the question, not expressing an opinion.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000w4i49bpa6pnDzixnnsV08fw:12hdebebp?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

dkjretired: "Here is Celebrity's main page on dress codes, please note in the area under "Before Six" and you will see the jeans prohibition for MDR which was the question.

Please note: I am only answering the question, not expressing an opinion"

I think that the question the OP posed was not what was appropriate to wear or what the official Celebrity website stated on the subject of formal night wear but whether formal nights were special and not to be missed.

I think that the question the OP posed was not what was appropriate to wear or what the official Celebrity website stated on the subject of formal night wear but whether formal nights were special and not to be missed.

Thank you, that is correct. We know what the formal attire is, just wondering if we will decide not to pack that heavily and whether it's a big loss of we skip the formal nights. :)

Thank you, that is correct. We know what the formal attire is, just wondering if we will decide not to pack that heavily and whether it's a big loss of we skip the formal nights. :)

Hi:), I have always tried to answer these type of questions with

a friendly tone and so I shall say, if it is not important to you then

it won't be a big loss:). It is all about priorities really. It never takes

me much extra to pack for them. They make such wonderful materials these days.

But again, it is all about priorities and what is important to you.

What is a loss to one person, is not one to another;)

Yep, there is something special about formal nights. And we believe it's all about the atmosphere, the ambience, the festive feeling. The very few times that we haven't dressed for formal nights (once because DH wasn't feeling well, another time because I was nursing a bad cold), we felt like we were missing something ... or like we weren't part of a really cool, special event.

Regarding what they serve in the MDR, that's so subjective. Some formal nights, the menu is wonderful, but not necessarily more so than any other night. Some people say that they didn't fancy the selections on a particular formal night. For the most part, if you like the menus the rest of the week, on formal night, you'll enjoy it as well.

Lots of people skip formal nights and dine in the buffet or in their cabins. Lately, even more so with all the luggage restrictions. But we feel that you are missing out on something by doing that. Again, that's our opinion ... many have absolutely no problem with it. You need to gauge how you'd feel, with the majority of the ship dressed up "to the nines".

We did our first Alaska cruise last May (BTW, it was awesome,

get ready to have a fantastic time!), and we did the formal thing as easily and "lightly" as we could. DH brought a pair of dress black pants, a black jacket, dress shirt and different ties. I brought one pair of really nice, drapey, dressy black pants and two very dressy tops. It really didn't add all that much to the weight of our luggage.

And, here's something we found, because the temps varied so much during the whole time we were in Alaska and cruising, we ended up wearing a lot of the same stuff over and over again. We wore jeans almost every day, and discovered which combination of tops (turtle necks or tees plus sweaters) worked best for us. Layering was the key, and we found ourselves reaching for the same basics most days.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy this cruise ... we thought it was amazing!

In past two months, have been on Celebrity twice and Royal Caribbean once.

I never saw any fashion police patrolling, and far as I know, no male was remanded to the brig for failure to wear formal or dark suit.

On one trip, the "Loyalty Ambassador" (or whatever title) asked us if we would like to sit at the Captains (well, Hotel Manager's) table on formal eve. Told her we didn't have glad rags, but she said it would be fine. None of the men had formals--three of four had sport coats.

Have now been through something like 6 "formal nights" wearing a sportcoat, and no-one barred entry to the dining room or threw rocks (from the other diners).

Archived