Carnival Price game is making me sick

goldwinger88

On my last cruise I made it a point not to look at rates after the final payment. (This was before early saver, so final payment was final price).

Just to clarify, before the Early Saver program you could get price adjustments (in the form of OBC) on ANY fare all the way up to embarkation, except for the "for new bookings only" sales.

The Early Saver program has actually reduced our ability to receive fare adjustments.

Just to clarify, before the Early Saver program you could get price adjustments (in the form of OBC) on ANY fare all the way up to embarkation, except for the "for new bookings only" sales.

The Early Saver program has actually reduced our ability to receive fare adjustments.

right on

Also, there was quite a gap (I know I fell right into it and got caught). As of 12/1/08 they stopped giving price adjustments on all rates ... and since ES didnt start until the end of January 09, and you were booking at a minimum 3 - 5 months out, you could have booked for a cruise that fell in the gap and no chance for any price drop (I had a $60 price drop I lost that way).

I do agree with you that people who defend ES as being so great, seem to not know we used to get price drops on all rates... so limiting it to just ES is hardly doing us a favor and people who dont know because they dont live on CC, when its such a new rate, who can blame them.

OP it is distressing to watch rates drop, hang in there...might want to keep calling each price drop, maybe u'll turn into a squeaky wheel & they'll cut u a break.;)

You should book using the Early Saver program if price drops after final payment are going to upset you. ;)

i booked ES and watched 2 different rate drops this AM (one PG, one military) yet as there is no 3rd person rate offered today, im crap outta luck matching it for my category, despite being the only cabin currently booked in the whole group.:rolleyes:

some are booking ES and then if military is less putting in for the rate drop on the military rate. That way they have price protection and can get the military rate.

Just book ES first, you are thinking right.

I've gotten 2 military rates so far on current booking. When checking this AM, despite not finding a 3rd person rate, i decided to submit not 1, but 2 ES requests today using the rate for PG & the even lower military. I inserted my existing 3rd person rate....won't be the 1st time ive been told no...might get lucky & slip thru the cracks.

Interesting- I recall being told I could recieve price reductions until the final payment.

The present price drop on the Carnival Glory has me really upset.

Last Nov. I booked the Carnival Glory on May 24th out of Charleston with the Military rate of $849. I put down my deposit and made our payments. I paid the balance on March 25th which was the deadline.

Yesterday I find out that the price dropped down to $549/599. I immediately called my new PVP since I was not pleased with the person who originally booked my Glory cruise and had switched to the new one who is working on a group I am putting together on the Fantasy

She said the best Carnival would do was to upgrade us from a 8C to 8D which gave us a balcony on the Lido deck. We had a balcony on the Verandah deck.

That might be $100 difference, but does not make up for the remaining $450 -500.

We really like Carnival, and will continue to sail with them. But I am going to keep a very keen eye on how they do my bookings.

I've learned a valuable lesson, but it is still making me sick to my stomach.

How sick would you be if the price went up?

You should also avoid the stock market if things like this make you ill.

Sounds like ES is for you.

That's no small amount. I would be nauseous as well.

I have the same issue with airlines and hotels...it's really not fun trying to book when you think the price is right....then finding you booked when it wasn't.

I haven't had any experiences like your in regards to a cruise but I have with flights and hotels.

My youngest daughter took her hospitality degree and became a revenue manager...she is one of the people we travelers hate...the people who sit back and dictate the price of your hotel (or flight or cruise) depending on all the factors they figure in to set the price.

It's all about supply and demand on their part...for us it's all about timing and knowing when to book, or when to hold off. I don't think this is easy. Sometimes it's grueling (for me it is really grueling in regard to flights)

The only thing I can offer you right now if Carnival isn't doing anything for you is to just (mentally) let it go. You're past final payment so cancelling wouldn't make much sense. You wouldn't want to be on the ship thinking about this and ruining your week....then all the money you spent would be totally wasted.

Ah, give the OP a break. He did not post on here to be bashed, he was only venting and asking for help. Believe me, the 1st time I booked with Carnival, I did not understand booking this way vs that way. I drove my PVP crazy by calling and questioning her....thank goodness she was patient. Still using the same PVP but have a better understanding about the tricks of the rates. Use ES and check rates a couple times a day because they do change often. The PG rate on my cruise went down twice since Tuesday.

. so limiting it to just ES is hardly doing us a favor and people who dont know because they dont live on CC, when its such a new rate, who can blame them.

I dont think its fair to say CC people are the only ones aware that the ES rate is there, its listed as the lowest fare when available. Its been around 2 years

January 1, 2008

(And maybe ES did exist then I didn't book it- since we had an awesome military rate. But I was really active on the boards then and don't remember the term.)

You got some pretty bad info. Back then you could have gotten OBC for any price drops. Although, your price might have beat any price drops

That's no small amount. I would be nauseous as well.

I have the same issue with airlines and hotels...it's really not fun trying to book when you think the price is right....then finding you booked when it wasn't.

There are a few online sites they offer price assurance guarantees and if another person books the same hotel or flight at a lower price, they will automatically give you a rebate. So its nice for those people that like to book and not keep checking rates.

You got some pretty bad info. Back then you could have gotten OBC for any price drops. Although, your price might have beat any price drops

Eh- that's alright. Like I said- I was happy with my price. About $100/night for a balcony on an 8-day. It's just better not to know what other people are paying. Reduces the stress.

I did ES this cruise, but I can't imagine I'll check that often. Once again I'm happy with the price (though it's not nearly as good as last time, we are in an oceanview b/c balcony was too expensive) but if I happen to catch a drop- that's good too.

I did ES this cruise, but I can't imagine I'll check that often. Once again I'm happy with the price (though it's not nearly as good as last time, we are in an oceanview b/c balcony was too expensive) but if I happen to catch a drop- that's good too.

If you have an active roll call, that is often a great way to find out about the drops without actually checking on your own. Usually there is one person that is stalking the carnival site looking at the prices, then reporting back of any price drops.

Being a Realist, I see things for what they are, and usually try to make the best of every situation.

I am waiting to see what Carnival will do. They did upgrade me from 8C to 8D so I have to look at it at not being a total loss

I suppose it is their way of getting back that $500 I won last August on the Pride Mardi Gras Slot Tournament.

But Hey, I still got me a Ship on a Stick.....

There are a few online sites they offer price assurance guarantees and if another person books the same hotel or flight at a lower price, they will automatically give you a rebate. So its nice for those people that like to book and not keep checking rates.

yes, I' aware of those sites and that program is nice...however, the problem is, they give assurance that if the price drops on THEIR site only....if you book on their site and later see a price on another site for less, you're still screwed. So for folks like me that check rates on countless sites, this price guarantee doesn't mean too much.

They also add lots of ifs ands and buts, has to be the same type of hotel room for the same number of people, on the same date etc. It has to be the same bed configuration in the hotel, you cant book a king bed and someone got two double beds for cheaper, so you can get money back, even if the prices for both rooms were the same originally. They are pretty well protected from giving back money in most cases.

i.e. if the price went down and all they had was two double beds, Id change to the lower price from my one king bed, so I would still be price watching.

OP do not feel bad although I do understand your frustration.Also beware of being put on Lido Deck it is VERY NOISY esp at night .LAST PLACE I WOULD HAVE MY CABIN Learned that the hard way ...we were "upgraded to sky deck ..BIG MISTAKE WHAT A RACKET AT NIGHT

Get sandwiched between 2 floors instead

I have repeatedly bought ES ,...to NEVER EVER get a price reduction nor OBC

Just my luck I guess plus ES prohibits cancellations ...not for me

OP do not feel bad although I do understand your frustration.Also beware of being put on Lido Deck it is VERY NOISY esp at night .LAST PLACE I WOULD HAVE MY CABIN Learned that the hard way ...we were "upgraded to sky deck ..BIG MISTAKE WHAT A RACKET AT NIGHT

Get sandwiched between 2 floors instead

I have repeatedly bought ES ,...to NEVER EVER get a price reduction nor OBC

Just my luck I guess plus ES prohibits cancellations ...not for me

Must have gotten lucky because we've been on the Lido on our last 2 cruises and did not have a problem with noise at anytime. Give me a room on the Lido anytime!

That is like asking someone on board how much did you pay for your cruise or how much did you pay for your airfare. Why open yourself up to be disappointed if you can't do anything about it?

Not to mention it is extremely rude.

The wife brought up a valid point.

If you buy something from a store and within a short time they lower the price of that item. You simply either return the item for a refund then, buy the lower priced item or many stores will give you back the difference.

The latter is the case I am applying in this situation. I would like to see some of the difference given back in form of OBC.

I had received a Voicemail from someone at Carnival in Colorado. but when we got back she had already left for the day. But we should be able to make contact next week. At least Carnival is listening enough to try to respond.

However, based on the influx new threads regarding this topic, I see that I am not alone in this situation.

As has already been noted, this has been the policy for quite a while now.

Is it "fair?"

Depends on how you define that term.

I'm looking at a similar situation. I couldn't book ES because I only booked less than a month ago and sail in 3 weeks.

My DD no longer is my sailing buddy, so ES also won't work because I never know if I'm sailing solo or whether someone else can go with me and name changes aren't allowed.

So to all the ES people, stop telling everyone that "you should've booked ES" because that isn't always the answer.

I booked a 1A, paying the 150% supplement. Paid in full because of the date. Almost immediately, the price dropped. I was moved up to a 4E.

Prices are down again (2 could book today and pay less than I paid for 1 originally in a 1A)! I have a friend who MIGHT be able to go with me, but won't know until next weekend (health reasons).

My PVP is on vacation. Called the guy who his voice mail said was filling in for him. Called yesterday at 10 am, the guy called me back at 7 pm. :mad:

He was VERY snippy and condescending and I assure you I would NEVER book with this guy. My guy is wonderful, BTW.

IF she can go, she'll pay whatever the going price is for 1 persona as though booking a cabin for two, and my price already paid will be cut in half. That still won't make up the difference. Already upgraded to the highest inside category, and "upgrading" to an OV in the bow or stern on Riviera isn't an upgrade to me.

Yeah, it's frustrating.

But you know what? I booked the cruise at a certain price. I obviously was willing to pay that price to go on this cruise. It sure would be nice if a loyal (Platinum) cruiser would be given SOMETHING in return for their loyalty when any newbie could come along now and pay less.

And I know that with my luck, had I waited until now to book, the lower categories would've been sold out and prices would've gone UP, not down, and I wouldn't have been able to go at all!

So, yes, sometimes it's best to just not look. Take the upgrade and stop looking it if's going to be painful.

Again, you paid a price you were willing to pay. You take your chances. The cruiseline has their policy in place, it is the CUSTOMER'S responsibility to understand the policy. Expecting them to give you something that they aren't going to give anyone else is being unreasonable.

some are booking ES and then if military is less putting in for the rate drop on the military rate. That way they have price protection and can get the military rate.

Just book ES first, you are thinking right.

Fire - I just did this. No muss, no fuss. Mentioned on my ES form that I'd cruised military rate before but they didn't ask for anything, just gave me my credit.

I'm gonna watch the rates like a hawk til July.

Archived