Thomson Dream All inclusive question

The letter states price of spirits - nothing to do with ash

After everything that has gone on I wouldnt trust Thomson agents at all. They have said so many different things and as mentioned, the letter delivered to cabins of Dream passengers does not mention ash, its says the price of the Euro! Think we need it in writing and what about those passengers on the Dream- shouldnt they get some kind of compensation!

Hi, We are going on the Thomson Dream in June and looking at the reviews for the Dream it looks like the AI is different to other ships in the Thomson fleet, we were on the Celebration last year where the AI was a large choice of cocktails as well as the usual AI drinks, can anybody tell me if it now different on the Dream?

The drinks package is back to normal, there was a problem but is now fixed, has anyone payed £378 per couple and not complained.:confused:

After everything that has gone on I wouldnt trust Thomson agents at all. They have said so many different things and as mentioned, the letter delivered to cabins of Dream passengers does not mention ash, its says the price of the Euro! Think we need it in writing and what about those passengers on the Dream- shouldnt they get some kind of compensation!

I agree - whilst I sincerely hope the report of things getting back to normal are correct I am treating this with some caution as we hear so many different stories from the TAs and various contacts within the organisation. :confused:

I won't be convinced until we hear from returning passengers who can tell us what is actually happening onboard.

If it has changed I think it has nothing to do with the ash - Thomson admitted that costs were the issue. I can understand they may well be looking to economies but if that's the case:

a) it should be called a 'drinks package' as all inclusive hardly describes what was on offer in 'the letter'

b) any changes have to be made on the launch of a new season's sales - and people fully informed of the drinks included/not included in such a package at the time of booking

c) if they want to limit the AI then I think they need to think of different ways of doing it. Many passengers particularly enjoy the variety offered by an AI - and to offer only a very limited selection will not appeal to lots of customers - they may accept it as a freebie - but many wouldn't be happy to pay for it. Perhaps allowing AI passengers a free choice of everything on the drinks menu up to a daily value would be a way forward. Thomson can work out the economics (break even point for them/how much it would cost them for an early booking incentive/what price to charge for the package) - but then there'd be no worries about what's included but as soon as you hit an upper limit then you'd have to pay for any more. Passengers would then be able to work out exactly whether or not the package is worth it to them.

Other ideas?

I agree - whilst I sincerely hope the report of things getting back to normal are correct I am treating this with some caution as we hear so many different stories from the TAs and various contacts within the organisation. :confused:

I won't be convinced until we hear from returning passengers who can tell us what is actually happening onboard.

If it has changed I think it has nothing to do with the ash - Thomson admitted that costs were the issue. I can understand they may well be looking to economies but if that's the case:

a) it should be called a 'drinks package' as all inclusive hardly describes what was on offer in 'the letter'

b) any changes have to be made on the launch of a new season's sales - and people fully informed of the drinks included/not included in such a package at the time of booking

c) if they want to limit the AI then I think they need to think of different ways of doing it. Many passengers particularly enjoy the variety offered by an AI - and to offer only a very limited selection will not appeal to lots of customers - they may accept it as a freebie - but many wouldn't be happy to pay for it. Perhaps allowing AI passengers a free choice of everything on the drinks menu up to a daily value would be a way forward. Thomson can work out the economics (break even point for them/how much it would cost them for an early booking incentive/what price to charge for the package) - but then there'd be no worries about what's included but as soon as you hit an upper limit then you'd have to pay for any more. Passengers would then be able to work out exactly whether or not the package is worth it to them.

Other ideas?

The idea of a daily price limit looks good to me, you retain the flexibility in choice of drink but Thomsons will know in advance what the upper spend limit is going to be.

I wonder if anything that is written here ever gets anywhere near Thomsons senior management who seem to be locked into denial and spin.

The idea of a daily price limit looks good to me, you retain the flexibility in choice of drink but Thomsons will know in advance what the upper spend limit is going to be.

I wonder if anything that is written here ever gets anywhere near Thomsons senior management who seem to be locked into denial and spin.

I will be on the dream on tuesday and will find out for myself but I will get what I payed for, the letter under the cabin door on the other post is not the drinks package now, they had problems before but is now fixed . or does anyone know better. There hasent been many positive reviews. But will write one when I get back. You get what you pay for.

Well I emailed a copy of 'the letter' to my Thomson TA as requested, because they knew nothing of any problems on Dream or changes to the AI programme. I called in there today & was advised they had forwarded it to Head Office for clarification & would have an answer for me by Tuesday.

Our friends went into the agents today to let them know what happend.

As with a few of the thomson staff, they also pleaded ignorant saying they'd never had any complaints, but to send their letter to them and they would forward it on.

Other than the drinks package and the few other problems, my friend did say she would definitely go back on the Dream because they had a fabulous time, and said the staff, service, food, entertainment and rooms were excellent!! :D

we were on board last cruise & the ai was cocktail of the day, long island iced tea,pina colada,peach colada & strawberry colada every other cocktail was 50% off full price

Hi, sundream were you on a drinks package on your cruise did you get the AI letter telling you what was free. Were you on a five night cruise?:confused:

I have spoken to Thomsons about the AI package changing from what was expected when booked We are on Destiny 22nd May with an AI package and have been told that we will have All Cocktails coffee etc. they had to change the Package for the Dream as they couldn';t get supplies because of Volcanic Ash!!!!

I agree. I was also told that was the reason .Some poeple try to make a mountain out of a mole hill .If you have payed for a drinks package ,what you get is in black and white on your booking form

I agree. I was also told that was the reason .Some poeple try to make a mountain out of a mole hill .If you have payed for a drinks package ,what you get is in black and white on your booking form

I think you will find that its not as simple as that. We all have had it mentioned on our booking form but recently it would appear that Thomsons have restricted it, and not mentioned in the letter it was due to volcanic ash. Have you read the letter? Thomsons are saying it is due to the price of euro. What we have been discussing on here is whether they will change it back to the original stuff that was always included in AI. We are waiting for cruisers to return and let us know. I hope that on your cruise it has returned to normal AI

I think you will find that its not as simple as that. We all have had it mentioned on our booking form but recently it would appear that Thomsons have restricted it, and not mentioned in the letter it was due to volcanic ash. Have you read the letter? Thomsons are saying it is due to the price of euro. What we have been discussing on here is whether they will change it back to the original stuff that was always included in AI. We are waiting for cruisers to return and let us know. I hope that on your cruise it has returned to normal AI

If you dont get what you have payed for. you take it further. The brochure tells you what the drinks package is. forget the letter .what have thomsons restricted?

Compared with Celebration bar list

-almost 40 different cocktails on AI are now down to 3

-26 branded spirits now down to 'house' spirits only

-6 aperitifs down to 3

-6 ports and sherries down to 2

-15 liqueurs now down to 0 (zero)

-doubt about 7 virgin cocktails

-doubt about 6 speciality coffees

-cost of premium spirits typically increased from 85p to £1.85

all prices approx as they can vary between ships

This is a amazing reduction on what was a very popular and I don't think abused AI package, especially if you have payed good money for it.

-6 aperitifs down to 3

This is a amazing reduction on what was a very popular and I don't think abused AI package, especially if you have payed good money for it.

Good grief! That really does put the change into perspective. It beggars belief!

Just to show how crazy the whole idea is.

I looked at the letter and checked against Celebrations bar list, guess what?

You can make 18 of the listed cocktails using the house spirits etc mentioned in the Thomsons letter.

So rather than having

-cocktail of the day

-long island iced tea

-3 types of pina colada

You could have

-cocktail of the day

-17 different cocktails with house spirits

- 3 different margaritas

- 3 different pina coladas

- 3 different daiquiris

All at no additional cost to the company :eek:

If you dont get what you have payed for. you take it further. The brochure tells you what the drinks package is. forget the letter .what have thomsons restricted?

-6 aperitifs down to 3

So as you can see there is alot of restrictions- not making a mountain out of a molehill. I hope it has changed by the time you sail but, as on the Dream, Thomson did not tell those passengers before they sailed- they merely popped the letter in their cabins

Oh Joy!

Grenadine is not alchoholic and usually these days is not even made out of pomegranates so they can add my favourite Tequila Sunrise :D

Plus I forgot to mention Happy Days with dark rum.

Black and white states "a range of cocktails" - there is a range in the letter -The range stated is Cocktail of the Day Long Island Iced tea and Frozen Colada Cocktails - so you will get what it says in black and white - it's just that the list is shorter but those few cocktails do constitute a range.

-6 aperitifs down to 3

The drinks package is the same as above on the dream

Only time will tell - hope you are correct but not seen any evidence in writing other than the original letter

Forget that letter.I will be there on tuesday. and i will give a proper review.And that will be the end of it

Forget that letter.I will be there on tuesday. and i will give a proper review.And that will be the end of it

Thanks, but i'll be getting it in black and white for myself next week if it's true, and making sure it's on Thomsons letterheaded paper so it can go in my case with me.

The trouble being that by the time you are onboard on Tuesday & 'then' you receive the same letter under the door, it will be too late to do anything about it. As above, the only 'written' evidence we have to date is the letter given to Dream customers once onboard ship outlining the 'revised' all inclusive programme. Thomson can't be stupid enough to blame the restrictions on rising euro prices for one cruise only & then reinstate the package as it was!

The trouble being that by the time you are onboard on Tuesday & 'then' you receive the same letter under the door, it will be too late to do anything about it. As above, the only 'written' evidence we have to date is the letter given to Dream customers once onboard ship outlining the 'revised' all inclusive programme. Thomson can't be stupid enough to blame the restrictions on rising euro prices for one cruise only & then reinstate the package as it was!
I will be at the bar long before the'' letter'' gets under my door, going on O.V.in the summer , to pay for my drinks. Dont knock it till you try it.

still this on the website

Cruise drinks package 7 night

£378.00 per party

Selected international brand - named drinks including draft beers, spirits, aperitifs, house wines and soft drinks are FREE OF CHARGE. A range of teas, coffees and cocktails are also included. Premium drinks as defined on board (e.g. champagne, cognac and malt whiskies) and bottled water are not included. Drinks are available from all bars, lounges and restaurants - this does not include cabin service. Drinks served outside 10am - 2am will be charged to your on board account. It is not possible to purchase this package onboard. It is necessary that ALL members of the party book this option.

Archived