Solstice opinions?

crazy4cruisn

If Celebrity is not offering sailings in the Caribbean, what market are they moving the Solstice to? I hope Alaska as we are about to plan a Summer 2011 sailing and would love to cruise Solstice there.

All of the "S" class ships will be in Europe next year. RCCL/Celebrity will have 11 -- that's right 11 --- of their 22 ships in Europe in 2011. And, it appears that a couple will stay year round. No summer Caribbean for Celebrity, and RCCL will only have the Oasis, Allure and Freedom for summer 2011 -- although that could be over 15,000 people every week.

Clearly, the margins are the lowest in the Caribbean, but the flights to Europe make those expeditions very very pricy for us -- especially in the summer -- when the kids are not in school. We did a Med cruise in 2008 -- trip of a lifetime --- but the airfare from NY was over $1100 per person, and that was a very good price for the time.

Celebrity's decision is one reason why we are booked on the Oasis for August 2011.

mac_tlc

Just Got Off this ship last week. Would I go back? More then likely NO! Very slow service in dining room, no entainment during the week, never saw cruise director, overall didn't have a very good time and the couple we traveled with didn't either. Someone had stated on here that they had gotten a $50 obc and didn't know why when Celebrity called me this week about the comments that we made on our comment card I ask them about this and they assured me no one got a $50 obc for not having entainment on the cruise last week. Celebrity said that they would be back in contact with me we shall see. My husband and I and another couple cruise at least 4x's a year and so far this has been the worst.

That's too bad you didn't have a good time, but to say there was no entertainment during the week? Come on. Different lines offer different options. Maybe "entertainment" is subjective. Solstice is known for its live music, which I consider entertainment. Throughout the day around the ship you can find live music being performed, unless they've made a drastic change. We've sailed Solstice twice, and are booked for Aug 2011. On each sailing we had live music options all day long, every day. The string quartet at the Lawn Club at 3 pm on a sea day, it doesn't get better than that.

Just Got Off this ship last week. Would I go back? More then likely NO! Very slow service in dining room, no entainment during the week, never saw cruise director, overall didn't have a very good time and the couple we traveled with didn't either. Someone had stated on here that they had gotten a $50 obc and didn't know why when Celebrity called me this week about the comments that we made on our comment card I ask them about this and they assured me no one got a $50 obc for not having entainment on the cruise last week. Celebrity said that they would be back in contact with me we shall see. My husband and I and another couple cruise at least 4x's a year and so far this has been the worst.

Sorry you had such a terrible time:eek:..no entertainment all week?

None? No evening shows? No glass blowing shows?....no music?

Nothing at all?:confused: Maybe there was entertainment but just not to

your liking?

As for seeing the CD, that never matters much to me.

Sorry you had a horrible 7 days and could not find anything

enjoyable:rolleyes::eek:

Sorry you had such a terrible time:eek:..no entertainment all week?

None? No evening shows? No glass blowing shows?....no music?

Nothing at all?:confused: Maybe there was entertainment but just not to

your liking?

As for seeing the CD, that never matters much to me.

Sorry you had a horrible 7 days and could not find anything

enjoyable:rolleyes::eek:

We were also on this cruise and had a great time as usual on the Solstice.The show probem was two different mechanical failures on the stage but they did their best and had the singers in the foyer, stuff happens. We also had a slow waiter but he was sweet and tried hard and we didn't have a train to catch.I also heard about the $50.OBC and e-mailed guest services. Maybe just the very vocal complainers (and there were a lot) about the show problem got the OBC. If I receive an answer I will post it. The CD was very busy trying to get the problems with stage fixed and provide what shows they could. The weather was also bad but I didn't blame God,just thanked him for the day.Off the soap box now.:confused::)

We were also on this cruise and had a great time as usual on the Solstice.The show probem was two different mechanical failures on the stage but they did their best and had the singers in the foyer, stuff happens. We also had a slow waiter but he was sweet and tried hard and we didn't have a train to catch.I also heard about the $50.OBC and e-mailed guest services. Maybe just the very vocal complainers (and there were a lot) about the show problem got the OBC. If I receive an answer I will post it. The CD was very busy trying to get the problems with stage fixed and provide what shows they could. The weather was also bad but I didn't blame God,just thanked him for the day.Off the soap box now.:confused::)

Thanks for your take on it.:)

We were on the cruise also. Typical great cruise. (Aren’t they all?) Yes there were problems with the main theater, but Celebrity handled it superbly by bringing all the entertainers to the public areas. It was fun! It seemed that everywhere you went at night; there were singers, bands, all kinds of music all over the ship.

We got a $50 OBS the second or third day out. We didn't ask for it, it just appeared! We were afraid to ask why, in case it was a mistake! :D

We had wonderful servers in the MDR and our room steward got tipped extra.

That's too bad you didn't have a good time, but to say there was no entertainment during the week? Come on. Different lines offer different options. Maybe "entertainment" is subjective. Solstice is known for its live music, which I consider entertainment. Throughout the day around the ship you can find live music being performed, unless they've made a drastic change. We've sailed Solstice twice, and are booked for Aug 2011. On each sailing we had live music options all day long, every day. The string quartet at the Lawn Club at 3 pm on a sea day, it doesn't get better than that.

Live music (not including DJs) on the Solstice for May 1, 2010 (last sea day):

Grand Foyer

Piano Performer 7 - 8:45PM

Sipra: Party Band 9:45 - 11:45PM

Cafe al Bacio

West Side Strings (classics) 2 - 3PM & 6:15 - 7PM

Ensemble Lounge

Guitarist 5:30 - 7:30PM

West Side Strings 7:45 - 8:45PM

Piano Performer 9:30 - 10:15PM

Will Foraker Trio (jazz) 10:30PM - Late

Entertainment Court

Metro Park, A Capella 8 - 10PM

Michael's Club

Pianist/Entertainer 8 - 9PM & 10PM - Late

Poolside

Steel Pan (solo performer) 12:30 - 2:30PM

Sipra: Party Band 3 - 4:30PM

Oceanview Cafe

Guitarist 1 - 2PM

Steel Pan (solo performer) 3:30 - 4:30PM

No performances at the Lawn Club. No poolside Caribbean band.

Art

All of the "S" class ships will be in Europe next year. RCCL/Celebrity will have 11 -- that's right 11 --- of their 22 ships in Europe in 2011. And, it appears that a couple will stay year round. No summer Caribbean for Celebrity, and RCCL will only have the Oasis, Allure and Freedom for summer 2011 -- although that could be over 15,000 people every week.

mac_tlc

This is really dissapointing news. My wife and I have interest in doing a European itinerary, but not for quite a few years. In addition, because of the airfare expense and logistics fo traveling to Europe, I would'nt anticipate doing a European cruise very frequently......like maybe once or twice. The Caribbean, on the other hand, is becoming a once-twice a year vacation for us. I'm dissapointed that Celebrity will not be among the cruise lines that we can choose from. My wife and I are not very interested in the Allure/Oasis options due to the size and mass feel of those ships. It seemed like the Solstice class was a great combination of contemporary/upscale feel with a more adult clientel. This may also cause me to rethink who we cruise with on our Alaska trip next summer.

Live music (not including DJs) on the Solstice for May 1, 2010 (last sea day):

Grand Foyer

Piano Performer 7 - 8:45PM

Sipra: Party Band 9:45 - 11:45PM

Cafe al Bacio

West Side Strings (classics) 2 - 3PM & 6:15 - 7PM

Ensemble Lounge

Guitarist 5:30 - 7:30PM

West Side Strings 7:45 - 8:45PM

Piano Performer 9:30 - 10:15PM

Will Foraker Trio (jazz) 10:30PM - Late

Entertainment Court

Metro Park, A Capella 8 - 10PM

Michael's Club

Pianist/Entertainer 8 - 9PM & 10PM - Late

Poolside

Steel Pan (solo performer) 12:30 - 2:30PM

Sipra: Party Band 3 - 4:30PM

Oceanview Cafe

Guitarist 1 - 2PM

Steel Pan (solo performer) 3:30 - 4:30PM

No performances at the Lawn Club. No poolside Caribbean band.

Art

We enjoyed Will Foraker and the Jazz trio. The young man has talent.

11 ships is a big risk... given what is going on in Europe right now. Would not be surprised

if they pull some. If the Euro keeps tanking it would be an opportunity to travel there for Americans and others however.

Clearly, the margins are the lowest in the Caribbean, but the flights to Europe make those expeditions very very pricy for us -- especially in the summer -- when the kids are not in school. We did a Med cruise in 2008 -- trip of a lifetime --- but the airfare from NY was over $1100 per person, and that was a very good price for the time.

Celebrity's decision is one reason why we are booked on the Oasis for August 2011.

mac_tlc

All of the "S" class ships will be in Europe next year. RCCL/Celebrity will have 11 -- that's right 11 --- of their 22 ships in Europe in 2011. And, it appears that a couple will stay year round.

I wish - just checked for November 2010 and 2011 for Europe and Celebrity has nothing

We've done Med cruises last four years - Oct or Nov - flying from the Midwest. DD is in middle school/high school - we've planned around school holidays - she's never missed more than 4 total days of school for a trip and the cost of the cruises, the cost of the flights and the cost of excursions has been very reasonable and the crowds 50-75% less than in summer.

We just booked the 8/8 cruise on the Solstice. We got a discounted price, and had our choice of cabins. I looked at the cruise critic roll call for the 8/8 cruise and there are only 4 people on it. Should I be concerned that they are going to cancel our cruise? or severely cut back things like service and entertainment?

I've never seen or read about any cruise being canceled because it wasn't filled enough. And believe me, if some cruise was cancelled just beause of some quota, this forum would likght up! And as to cut backs? That isn't how the business works. The price of service/entertainmenet employees is minor to the cost of a basic cruise so they wouldn't cut back - they maintain a set ratio. Service is one of the hallmarks of Celebrity.

So don't worry and in fact, be happy if it looks undersold - they will provide more discounts and if they aren't 'New Bookings Only', you'll get a cut also. Been on a cruise that wasn't nearly as full as others and couldn't tell from the Service/entertainment. You'd think it would be nice to be on a ship with a lower percentage, but in truth, I don't thnk you could really tell, except reservations at specialty restaurants and such may be easier at peak times.

Denny

This is not one of those 'baiting' questions, just curious....why is seeing the 'CD' walking around of importance to someone's enjoyment of a cruise? I've met and seem them on some cruises...very nice people and socialable, but I'm afraid their 'presence' didn't impact my cruise experience at all. The service provided by thier people and the rest of the crew is what impacted my experience - the other passengers I got to meet was of importance, but not meeting or 'seeing' the CD? I've read of people complaining the Capt wasn't 'social' enough. So? Just curious why that is a criteria for a poor evaluation, or even a comment.

Denny

This is not one of those 'baiting' questions, just curious....why is seeing the 'CD' walking around of importance to someone's enjoyment of a cruise? I've met and seem them on some cruises...very nice people and socialable, but I'm afraid their 'presence' didn't impact my cruise experience at all. The service provided by thier people and the rest of the crew is what impacted my experience - the other passengers I got to meet was of importance, but not meeting or 'seeing' the CD? I've read of people complaining the Capt wasn't 'social' enough. So? Just curious why that is a criteria for a poor evaluation, or even a comment.

Denny

My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine how seeing (or not seeing) the CD or the captain around the ship impacts anyone's cruise for better or worse. Unless, of course, you're one of those pax who likes to buddy up to the CD and/or the captain and become his groupie, allowing yourself to believe he is as excited to be in your company (not!) as you are in his.

I wish - just checked for November 2010 and 2011 for Europe and Celebrity has nothing

We've done Med cruises last four years - Oct or Nov - flying from the Midwest. DD is in middle school/high school - we've planned around school holidays - she's never missed more than 4 total days of school for a trip and the cost of the cruises, the cost of the flights and the cost of excursions has been very reasonable and the crowds 50-75% less than in summer.

The 11 ships includes all of the RCCL ships also. The ones that I believe will be there year round is the Brillance of the Seas (which has been in Europe year round for a year or so) and the Independence of the Seas.

Glad it works for you, but for me, our kids never have more than a couple of consecutive days off in Oct or Nov. I am not flying all the way to Europe for a 7 day cruise, so to do a 12 day with only 2 school days off would amount to missing at least 6 days -- wish it worked, but it doesn't for us.

The 11 ships includes all of the RCCL ships also. The ones that I believe will be there year round is the Brillance of the Seas (which has been in Europe year round for a year or so) and the Independence of the Seas.

Glad it works for you, but for me, our kids never have more than a couple of consecutive days off in Oct or Nov. I am not flying all the way to Europe for a 7 day cruise, so to do a 12 day with only 2 school days off would amount to missing at least 6 days -- wish it worked, but it doesn't for us.

Yes RCCI has Splendour and one other ship typically until the end of November and then Brillance year round. X is moving their stock over earlier the next few years.

American T-giving works for our family because it coincides with deer hunting season in Wisconsin -- the deer gun hunting season, in the northern part of the state at least, seems to be sacred and DD gets at least a half day off the Friday before the week of Thanksgiving and then has school only 1 or 1.5 days the week of Thanksgiving. (Why they don't just do the whole week I'll never know -- I've been told it has something to do with state mandates).

The day(s) they do have Tgiving week are generall "incentive" days when they don't have full class schedules due to other activities. So even with a 10 or 12 day cruise, she really misses very little - she generally has to bring math homework and a few other things with. Her Lit teacher actually re-arranged her syllabus this year to put a novel with a setting of Pompeii to coincide with our trip so DD had "make up" work of shooting pictures of Pompeii for a class presentation the day after we came home. It was cool in that we found the actual places the author used in the novel. Her science class had an assignment to observe matter going from one form to another (liquid to gas for example) -- her science teacher was THRILLED to get her report on the Hot Glass show - liquid to solid - with a great interview of one of the glass artists who does a lot of the educational programs for CMOG. The ports in the Med are great -- lots of history and archeology, the ship is great -- she met up with a girl her age from near Madrid (they each practiced foriegn languages on each other), the opportunity to see professional musicians, try different foods, convert euros to dollars when deciding to buy something -- all well worth a few days off school.

Archived