Princess, I Have an Idea

MTJSR

I have been home for roughly six weeks from my cruise on the Golden and I am going thru bread withdrawals. I can/could eat boatloads of Princess's dinner rolls and that gave me an idea, to have in addition to the International Cafe a French style bakery/deli with freshly baked breads and handmade sandwiches (not like the little one's at international cafe) exotic, fancy ones. The attraction of course here would be the variety of breads. Imagine the smell of fresh baked bread wafting thru the corridors. If Princess is looking to cut costs, bread is cheap and if everyone fills up on bread.......well think about it :D

Mmm. I love the bread. Even better is that on our last cruise, someone tipped us off that we could ask for some fresh minced garlic and some olive oil to spread onto the bread (they came separately). The garlic was really, really good! So good that my DH (who normally doesn't like garlic) was eating raw chunks of it!

It is a very nice idea - from the passenger's point of view.

Now let's look at it from the Corporate viewpoint:

1. Will it appreciably increase onboard revenue ? No.

2. Will it appreciably decrease costs? Not really. That area has the capability to serve 200 to 300 passengers per day. 300 passengers (out of 3,500) eating more bread and less steak might have some food cost savings - but not much in the grand scheme of things.

3. Will it help fill passenger cabins? They are already filled.

4. Will it increase costs? Yes.

USPH requirements for cold storage of the sandwich ingredients and/or prepared sandwiches would require installation of proper refrigeration and refrigerated cases.

If you want to bake breads in that area, very expensive ovens and additional fire supression systems are required. The ship's existing design may not legally allow these installations.

There is currently not sufficient seating in that area for the anticipated additional traffic. Additional chairs and tables must be purchased. Space must be found for them - without violating US Coast Guard regulations for emergency exit spaces.

Staff to set up and prepare the sandwiches must be sourced. There are no empty crew beds available for additional crew, and no budget to hire additional crew. These crew must be pulled from an already existing operation, decreasing service in that area.

5. Would this allow us to charge more for the cruise? Probably not.

Does it make financial sense to go ahead with this idea? No.

I always request unsalted butter with my meal and it really makes a difference. Unsalted butter has to be fresher and of a higher quality since the salt acts as a preservative.

I bought a bread machine a few years ago and when I want some really fresh bread I can have it in about 4 hours.

I have been home for roughly six weeks from my cruise on the Golden and I am going thru bread withdrawals. I can/could eat boatloads of Princess's dinner rolls and that gave me an idea, to have in addition to the International Cafe a French style bakery/deli with freshly baked breads and handmade sandwiches (not like the little one's at international cafe) exotic, fancy ones. The attraction of course here would be the variety of breads. Imagine the smell of fresh baked bread wafting thru the corridors. If Princess is looking to cut costs, bread is cheap and if everyone fills up on bread.......well think about it :D

I'm salivating already. Trouble is I enjoy the pre-dinner rolls too much and can't get through 3 courses for my dinner.

Perhaps the traditional afternoon tea could be enhanced with your idea.

People would complain about the smell like they did with the racelette(at vines) and that would end up gone too.

There was raclette at vines????? Who can complain about the smell of cheesy potatoes!!

I always request unsalted butter with my meal and it really makes a difference. Unsalted butter has to be fresher and of a higher quality since the salt acts as a preservative.

I bought a bread machine a few years ago and when I want some really fresh bread I can have it in about 4 hours.

And for those who don't know, the butter on the tables is unsalted. One word of caution though.....I gained 19 pounds on the two week cruise. Between the bread/butter and love boat dream desert, I found my weakness, big-time. Took 6 weeks to remove what 2 weeks put on:eek:

Adding my bread story to the bunch. Our last cruise we took my Father in law who is a slight man of 155 pounds. Everynight he had more than his share of rolls with the topper being the last night. He had 5, yes, count them 5 rolls with butter before the first course arrived. Not bad for an 89 year old man who still loves to talk about the good food on the Sapphire Princess.

Bob

Archived