Sanctuary

1cruiselvr

Ok, I did a thread search but didn't find the information - can you only book the Sanctuary onboard? HAL has a private cabana area that can be booked by calling ships services and reserving one for the week. I'm getting the impression from postings about the Sanctuary that you can only book once onboard and only one day at a time. Is that true?

Ok, I did a thread search but didn't find the information - can you only book the Sanctuary onboard? HAL has a private cabana area that can be booked by calling ships services and reserving one for the week. I'm getting the impression from postings about the Sanctuary that you can only book once onboard and only one day at a time. Is that true?

Yes onboard, however depending on the ship several days can be booked in advance.

It is a place where you can get away from the noise of the pool area. No children are allowed and they have a special menu for snacks. If you book for the week, the chair you pick is the same for the week. The chairs are more comfortable and spread out so you have more room. For someone like me, who does not get up early, it guaranteed me a decent seat every day. I love MUTS, but don't like the music videos they blast in the day so this place is a nice one to get away from all of that. It depends on what type of experience you want.

Depending on the cruise you are taking, you might get a similar experience at the Lotus Pool at no charge. We were on the Island Princess for a Panama Canal cruise (few children) and spent a good deal of time at the Lotus Pool. It was indoors, so it wasn't unbearably hot like the Sanctuary. Also, it had lots of nice wooden lounges with thick cushions and we never had a problem finding a place to relax at any time. They play quiet, calming Thai-inspired music and there's a bar just steps away if you want a drink. There's a nice little swimming pool and two spa tubs there. The Lotus Pool area was never crowded, even on sea days, and we really enjoyed it.

I would not cruise on any other cruise line than Princess for one reason!!!!

THE SANCTUARY I was on my first cruise in April, if not for the sanctuary it would have been my last because of the sanctuary i am booking my next one now. It is the only way to go it allows you privacy with 3000 people on the ship it gives you a little seperation, secondly you have your spot and it is a perfect spot you wont get tired of it. If you want to be in the sun you pick a spot in the sun (there is only about 8 of those so get there early if you want a sun spot) if you want a shade spot get a shade spot looking out over the bow. After the first day the staff knows who you are and your name, and will get you what ever you want.

Besides all that you dont have to worry about finding the person you are with the will be at your spot, if i woke up before my wife i would just go to our spot she knew i would be there she didnt have to hunt for me.

I know this is a long response but that is how much i loved the sanctuary

it more than makes up for the short falls of a cruise.

I forgot to add, you can book the entire week when you get on the ship not before. If you do not book the entire week you would have to go up every morning and check availability. I strongly recomend booking it for the week just budget it in and do it, the cost was $105 pp for a 7 day and the best money we spent on the cruise.

There is also an adult pool there not exclusive to the sanctuary but no kids and never very crowded another plus. I hope in the future they just make the pool part of the sanctuary and raise the price at the current price it will be hard to get in there it was sold out every day on our cruise.

We were on the Ruby in February, so having enjoyed the Sanctuary on our Emerald Med cruise in 2008, I was detailed to go straight up there on boarding to book it for the cruise. I was not first there but there was no availability , apparently people on a back to back had booked it up for our 10 days. They only allow so many to book for the cruise so in the end we managed to book for the sea days by getting up there at 0645 am. We love it , in addition to your lovely chair you have unlimited water, cold towels and an MP3 player plus healthy snacks which are lovely. The cost for the day on Ruby was $40, but if you book the whole cruise is $30 per day (for 2). In the event we were off the ship at every port in the Caribbean, so you could argue you would be best to do it daily-- its nice being up early to get to the International Cafe anyway. Enjoy.

I'm not clear on what you get for your money. A defined chair ??? Seems like alot to pay if that's all.

This is what you get in the Sanctuary. You get your choice of whatever chairs are left. These chairs are super thick, great fabric covered lounge chairs and they can go wherever you want the staff to bring them. Want shade? you got it under a beautiful airy tarp - some chairs are in the sunlight, most are in the shade. There are tropical plants and soothing music playing. Lemon water and cold towels are waiting for you. Want sun?? they roll the lounge chair out from under the covering for you in the sun. Want a snack? for $3 service fee you can choose from a healthy menu (free) - drinks are a bit more. Want music? they supply you with free bose wave radio earphones. Some people object to paying for this luxury and I'm happy about that. If you want a kid free zone, quiet and relaxing, swim against the current pool readily available at all times just sign up. The pool is a few steps down by the lotus spa. The Sanctuary is a well kept secret in the FRONT of the ship. We didnt even know about it on our first cruise. You can book for the week or for the day. Guess where I am going the day I step on board this ship July 29th? Yes - correct. The Sanctuary. I'm booking it for the week. YOu are always assured a seat with pleasant surroundings and no loud mouth, chair hogging, screaming kids etc....

So worth the extra money.

:)

You've sold me on Sanctuary (giving up my 3x/ week lattes to save for this....).. Question, can you share the use of the chair with your spouse (not at the same time - I mean, If we book one lounge chair for the week, can DH use it when I'm not using it)? As long as only one of us is there, is it ok to trade off use of the area?

We're on Emerald for 10 days in Oct and while I doubt there will be too many kids, I've run into enough chair hogs to know finding my place in the sun can get questionable.

Does the area sell out fairly early on the first day? Do we need to be in boarding group 1 to have a shot at a week's reserve?

Also, I see both lounge chairs and table/chairs. Are the regular chairs around the tables also reserved?

Thanks

Laura

You've sold me on Sanctuary (giving up my 3x/ week lattes to save for this....).. Question, can you share the use of the chair with your spouse (not at the same time - I mean, If we book one lounge chair for the week, can DH use it when I'm not using it)? As long as only one of us is there, is it ok to trade off use of the area?

We're on Emerald for 10 days in Oct and while I doubt there will be too many kids, I've run into enough chair hogs to know finding my place in the sun can get questionable.

Does the area sell out fairly early on the first day? Do we need to be in boarding group 1 to have a shot at a week's reserve?

Also, I see both lounge chairs and table/chairs. Are the regular chairs around the tables also reserved?

Thanks

Laura

You would be surprised how many children you may see on a 10 day cruise. If this is for the Caribbean, it will probably sell out very quickly. And, you have to remember, those sailing B2B may have already booked for both cruises. If you want to book the entire cruise, you should plan on getting on board and up to the Sanctuary pretty dang quick.

The table/chairs are not reserved. That's where they usually set up lunch for people that have lunch delivered.

I have seen people "share" chairs. I'm guessing if you don't abuse it and try and both hang out there (I've seen that happen, too), they'll let you get by. Just ask the attendent when you book if they allow time sharing.

ok, thanks for the quick response. Where on the ship do you book it?

You can only book in advance if you are booking Sanctuary for the entire cruise. If you want to do it for a day, you need to get there first thing in the morning. If you do want to book it for the entire cruise, you should try to get up to Sanctuary as soon as you board. They only have so many spots that they will book for the cruise and once they are filled thats it.

Darlene

I love the sanctuary but on last three cruises it hasnt worked out so well Transatlantic ok for first couple of days then too cold and windy the last two days were good. Next one Xmas cruise unknown to us it was a back to back and despite being practically first on the ship and up to Sanctuary it was full, and our final cruise a month ago Hawaii first few days ok but windy and last few days ok but windy, so to be honest I dont build my hopes up now and if it works out ok but it doesnt matter if it doesnt. its nice but expensive :)

Yeah,Yeah and no.You can book day to day or the whole cruise once your onboard!

I love the sanctuary but on last three cruises it hasnt worked out so well Transatlantic ok for first couple of days then too cold and windy the last two days were good. Next one Xmas cruise unknown to us it was a back to back and despite being practically first on the ship and up to Sanctuary it was full, and our final cruise a month ago Hawaii first few days ok but windy and last few days ok but windy, so to be honest I dont build my hopes up now and if it works out ok but it doesnt matter if it doesnt. its nice but expensive :)

I never thought to book it on our cruise on our previous cruises on the Emerald or Ruby. With all this positive feedback, I'm seriously thinking of booking it when we are on the Ruby next year.....:):):)

Bob

Does any one know if the sanctuary is fully shaded? I would love to reserve a chair in the sun, is that possible? My hubby would prefer the shade. How much $ for a 9 day cruise? And what time open & close? THANKS!!!

See pictures in post #17. One of them shows lounges in the uncovered area.

$15/day/person, so each person would be $135.

I read only 8 chairs in the sun. So you'll have to get there darn early to ensure you are able to reserve one of them. i've heard of some folks being told no chairs left for a weekly reserve and they arrived early. So dont get your hopes up too high about a special place. Happy Sailing!

Archived