Palma & Barcelona ports from centre?

Hi on 19th June i'll be boarding Ventura for my 1st cruise, I dont know what to expect when in port, how far is Palma port from the centre and Barcelona port from the centre, does a shuttle bus take you to the centre of each, are they easy to do on your own or is a p&o organised tour recomended, any other info would be great.

I don't know Palma. In Barcelona there is a shuttle to the foot of the steet known as Las Ramblas. YOu might do a little reading about Barcelona as it is a wonderful city and you can choose from many things to see and do.

Las Ramblas is a pedestrian street with street entertainers BUT it is also very touristy and full of pickpockets so I wouldn't spend my whole day there.

At the top of the street you'll find Placa Catalunya from which you can take a hop on hop off bus if you like to see city sights.

There are also taxis and a good metro system so if you read about it and decide which sights you'd like to see you can easily walk/take the hoho bus, take a normal city bus or metro and get around quite easily!

P&O has provided free shuttle buses to both these places in the past- though that's no guarantee that they'll remain free, as some other lines charge. It's only a short ride in Barc., it's about a mile along the prom in Palma.....they park in the big car park below the cathedral. From there, just follow the crowds up the hill to the centre of the city. The 1st square you reach is full of open air cafes....it's much more expensive to eat outside there than inside. Plenty of shops, including a C&A!

Jo.

P&O has provided free shuttle buses to both these places in the past- though that's no guarantee that they'll remain free, as some other lines charge. It's only a short ride in Barc., it's about a mile along the prom in Palma.....they park in the big car park below the cathedral. From there, just follow the crowds up the hill to the centre of the city. The 1st square you reach is full of open air cafes....it's much more expensive to eat outside there than inside. Plenty of shops, including a C&A!

Jo.

Jo: Did you see taxis at the port in Palma? I'm wondering if it would more sense for us, as we're older gals, to get a taxi up the hill and meander back down to the ship shuttle?

Thanks, Martha

Hi, another Jo here! :)

There is a taxi rank and bus stop in the port which you can access easily. Always check the price with the drivers before starting your journey. most local taxis should be on a meter. If I remember the approved ones are white with green markings/livery

We were on RCCL last year and there were right outside where the ship docks.

If you like you can walk from port to the Cathedral or vica versa - it is along the seafront and be warned, it took us a good 90 mins strolling. (didn't look that far when we started :rolleyes: and we're in our 30's) Made a good video though!

I'd suggest walking back to the ship so at least you know you have a cold drink waiting at the end!

• 4 weeks later...

There is a HOHO City Sightseeing (Hop-on/Hop off) bus that has a stop right at the port. It is bus #50. We didn't know this and took a city bus to the Centre, then got on the HOHO bus. You can get on at any stop.

Anyways, there are about 16 stops and you can see a brochure of the stops at their webite: CITY SIGHTINGSEEING

It is 13 euro adult for an all day pass, 6.5 euro for kids (8-16), and kids under 8 are free. Be sure to ask for a free headset.

Palma is very pretty...lots of shopping opportunities too. The traffic is not as crazy as it was in Italy. Palma is safe too.

Hi on 19th June i'll be boarding Ventura for my 1st cruise, I dont know what to expect when in port, how far is Palma port from the centre and Barcelona port from the centre, does a shuttle bus take you to the centre of each, are they easy to do on your own or is a p&o organised tour recomended, any other info would be great.

Hello there. I've just got off Ventura after a 14-night W Med cruise on her, during which I blogged. You can find the posts here. Not much about Palma, I'm afraid, but you might find the post on Barcelona interesting.

Archived