Help Create a NEW "Cruising on Royal Caribbean FAQ"

I thought it was 2 bottles of wine per cabin ?

Yes it is per cabin. I didn't try taking the bottle to the restaurant so can't confirm corkage. But if you get a glass from the bar, fill it in the room and walk into the restaurant they don't blink

TanInAus

I don't know if this has been mentioned before.

Under any circumstances, DO NOT order the "Beef Stroganoff". You will end up sending it back.

If you want more information, read my review of our trip on the Oasis from three years ago.

If Customer Service has finally listened to everyone's complaints and has fixed the Beef Stroganoff problem, please let me know.

Now for the question. It says there are iPod docks. Are these for the old iPods with the large connector, or are they for the new iPods with the little Lightning connection?

HELP.....never traveled overseas before....going onLiberty on July 3 Western Med....what do I need to get for my electrical connections...plan to bring IPAD, cell phone, travel iron

Marilyn, NJ

1. Leave the travel iron at home.

2. Bring chargers for your electronics and use the US plugs in your stateroom.

Katadyn makes a water filter bottle you can drink creek water and even Chinese spigot water out of. It has a filter (replaceable) in the center which filters, chlorine, germs and dirt. Have carried one for years and the only requirement is TSA makes you dump he water out. They will filter for at least 4 months and maybe a lot more, depends on the dirt content. Will attach by Caribiner to a backpack so you don't lose it. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAW9Z18?psc=1

• 1 month later...
Thank you all for this great info, but I still have questions!

1. If I buy the alcohol package does that mean that the alcohol in mini bar is paid for? Do I have to have steward take what is there and ask him to stock it with favorite beer?

2. After reading health form. I am thinking I should have a doc note regarding my wicked allergies, and sailing last week in April on Brilliance.

3) Does anyone know how to find info. last day later disembarkation? My flight is not until 2pm!

4) Can you get Room Service breakfast the last day? When do the Windjammer stop serving breakfast on last day aling with MDR?

1) No, the mini bar is not included

3) They usually boot everyone off after a certain time. Some cruises offer excursions on the disembarkation day that drop you off at the airport along with your luggage. You might check into that.

4) Just returned from the Jewel on the San Juan southern Caribbean route. They did not offer room service on the last morning, but the MDR served until 9 and the windjammer was open until 10 I think

HELP.....never traveled overseas before....going onLiberty on July 3 Western Med....what do I need to get for my electrical connections...plan to bring IPAD, cell phone, travel iron

Marilyn, NJ

Since most of the ships travel on routes throughout the world, they tend to have both type of outlets in each room. I always bring an extension cord that allows multiple plugs just in case. The bathroom often does not have an outlet for anything other than electric razors (I guess they are trying to take care of us!)

Hi there!

I’m wondering if I can get some help with a few questions that I have from some experienced RCI cruisers. Our gang is considering 11/12 night sailings next Feb. (’15) on the Quantum OS or the NCL Breakaway. Although we have a reasonable amount of cruises under our belts, none of us have any experience with these two cruise lines. I’ve found out some info on the Breakaway regarding dining/entertainment and I’d like to do a comparison of the two lines. I have just a couple of questions. I realize that no one has experience with the Quantum, so I thank you for any input you can give me.

1. Does RCI have early/late dinner seatings along with an “anytime dining” option, or is it just open seating like NCL? How far in advance do you normally have to make specialty dining reservations?

2. For shows and specialty entertainment: are there charges to see all of the shows? It looks like Mama Mia will be on this cruise. NCL charges to see Rock of Ages and it’s my understanding that tickets should be purchased far in advance of sailing. It’s kind of a turn-off for us to have to plan every minute of every day before you even board the ship.

3. Frequently, I've read over on the NCL boards that folks feel that they've been “nickel-ed and dimed to death”. Is that the general observation of RCI as well?

4. I found (on this forum) that the standard beverage package is about $55 per day. Does that include gratuity? Do both folks in the room need to purchase the package? It would take a lot of beer for my DH to reach $55 so it wouldn't work for him, but for me… wine and martinis will add up quite quickly!

5. I thought I read somewhere recently that RCI is now allowing one bottle of wine per person on board with no corkage fee if consumed in your stateroom. Does anyone know if this is true? It would make sense, because that is Celebrity’s policy.

Let me thank you in advance for any help you can give me with these questions!

Marybeth.

Hey MaryBeth,

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I do know a few of them...

1) Yes, There are early dining, late dining, and my-time dining. You can make my-time dining reservations ahead of time usually within 90 days of your cruise date. If you select my-time dining, they will require you to pre-pay all gratuities for the trip. We just returned 3 weeks ago and used my-time dining. Even with a different dining time for each day (depending on what we were doing in port and what time the ship left), they gave us the same waiter and assistant each night.

2) There were no charges for any shows on our cruise (Jewel of the Seas - southern Caribbean route)

3) We have never felt nickel-ed and dimed to death on RCCL. We even find their drink prices fairly reasonable.

4) The drink package includes gratuity. I still threw in an extra $1 for each drink that someone served me. If I had to go to the bar and get it myself, I didn't give extra unless I really liked the bartender.

5) RCCL allows two bottles of wine per stateroom with no corkage fee unless brought out to a public area. Your room attendant will bring you a cork screw and two glasses if you ask. We brought two large boxes of wine on one cruise and the stateroom attendant even emptied out the mini-bar fridge so we could keep it cold. With the boxed wine, you don't run the risk of breakage.

Was this a travel steam iron, or a handheld steamer? Trying to decide if it is worth it for me to buy a travel handheld steamer ( not iron) for the cruise. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have traveled with small irons as well as steamers on cruises and have had neither confiscated. I have never used them on any of the trips, so I will leave them home on the next trip. The charge to have something ironed onboard is not very much.

Hey MaryBeth,

I don't have answers to all of your questions, but I do know a few of them...

1) Yes, There are early dining, late dining, and my-time dining. You can make my-time dining reservations ahead of time usually within 90 days of your cruise date. If you select my-time dining, they will require you to pre-pay all gratuities for the trip. We just returned 3 weeks ago and used my-time dining. Even with a different dining time for each day (depending on what we were doing in port and what time the ship left), they gave us the same waiter and assistant each night.

2) There were no charges for any shows on our cruise (Jewel of the Seas - southern Caribbean route)

3) We have never felt nickel-ed and dimed to death on RCCL. We even find their drink prices fairly reasonable.

4) The drink package includes gratuity. I still threw in an extra $1 for each drink that someone served me. If I had to go to the bar and get it myself, I didn't give extra unless I really liked the bartender.

5) RCCL allows two bottles of wine per stateroom with no corkage fee unless brought out to a public area. Your room attendant will bring you a cork screw and two glasses if you ask. We brought two large boxes of wine on one cruise and the stateroom attendant even emptied out the mini-bar fridge so we could keep it cold. With the boxed wine, you don't run the risk of breakage.

Thanks beachluver9 for taking the time to answer! Very helpful!!

Marybeth.

Did I understand right we can bring water as long as it's has a lugage tag? Because I don't drink coffie,tea,soda,juice, please be right I would love to bring water that my body knows Health resons...thanks

I have never brought water on separately, but I always have 6-12 bottles packed in our luggage along with soft drinks. Never been taken away. The room Stewart will empty the bar fridge so that you can put your water, pop,etc. in to keep it cold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you would like a second helping of something you are eating in the dinning room, just ask the waiter. I have never been refused.

Join the crown and anchor society. It doesn't cost anything and when ever you want answers about anything that you haven't been able to find on these boards, they can help you.

You should see how many lobster tails are delivered to our table on lobster night! LOL!

I'm getting conflicting information about buying drinks packages on board. We're taking our first cruise next month. 12 days so buying the package is quite pricey and, as 7 days will be in port, I'm not sure it's worth it.

As we haven't cruised before I don't really know how much and what we may drink. I'd like to wait until we've been on board for a few days and then decide. From the RCI FAQs on the website I understood you could buy the package as long as there were at least 4 days left and you would be charged pro-rata for the number of days. However, when I emailed RCI to confirm this I was told that you had to pay for the whole trip, even if you buy the package a few days in.

This seems to totally contradict what the website says. Can anyone confirm one way or another?

We are debating about buying the soda drink package with the souvenir glass that you use at the special drink machines. If we buy now on website its $53.00, I was told that if you wait to buy it on the ship the cost goes up. Not sure why it would be more on the ship vs paying ahead on website. Maybe someone that knows can comment?

We are debating about buying the soda drink package with the souvenir glass that you use at the special drink machines. If we buy now on website its $53.00, I was told that if you wait to buy it on the ship the cost goes up. Not sure why it would be more on the ship vs paying ahead on website. Maybe someone that knows can comment?

I bought the soda package on board and it was the same price as buying beforehand. If you buy online I think you get the symbol printed on your seapass card - buy onboard and you get a sticker on your card. Pretty sure that was the only difference......

Angela, Sydney Australia.

Radiance of the Seas, Dec 2013.

I'm getting conflicting information about buying drinks packages on board. We're taking our first cruise next month. 12 days so buying the package is quite pricey and, as 7 days will be in port, I'm not sure it's worth it.

As we haven't cruised before I don't really know how much and what we may drink. I'd like to wait until we've been on board for a few days and then decide. From the RCI FAQs on the website I understood you could buy the package as long as there were at least 4 days left and you would be charged pro-rata for the number of days. However, when I emailed RCI to confirm this I was told that you had to pay for the whole trip, even if you buy the package a few days in.

This seems to totally contradict what the website says. Can anyone confirm one way or another?

We decided against the drinks package for our cruise as we had 5 port days out of 10. We were also told you had to pay for the whole trip, no matter when you bought the package. The drinks are also very strong - many are cocktails with a number of different spirits in them. You also need to purchase an alcohol drinks package for every adult in your cabin - so if my husband bought one, I would have to also - would've been very expensive ! This doesn't apply to the soda package however. We had some conflicting info before we sailed last year so my husband rang the RCI office in Sydney and chatted to a lovely woman who answered all his questions - 100% correctly as it turned out :) Hope this helps :)

How long in advance can you book entertainment normally? Going on the Oasis in September and have been checking for show times etc to sort out things.

I know we aren't going for ages but I like to get things organised to look forward to!

How long in advance can you book entertainment normally? Going on the Oasis in September and have been checking for show times etc to sort out things.

I know we aren't going for ages but I like to get things organised to look forward to!

It varies between 3 and 6 months out. You seem to be about 3 months away so it should be soon. Time to start checking daily.

We just returned from a So. Car. cruise in May. There was no financial benefit to purchasing the drink package in advance as the price was the same on board. If you pre-purchase your drink package will be printed on your sea pass card. If you purchase onboard you receive a sticker on your card.

Our cruise was fairly port intensive and we found that on port days we consumed more drinks off the ship than on. We are cruising again in a couple of months and will probably just skip the drink package.

Keep in mind that RCCL allows you to bring two bottles of wine per cabin onboard at embarkation, so if you are a wine drinker that kills two days right there. Since we purchased the premium drink package on our last cruise and had no need to bring additional wine onboard, we carried two bottles for a couple from our roll call. Then, I ended up winning an additional bottle at our Meet & Mingle (be sure to sign up on your roll call)!

Do you need to book the entertainment across the fleet or only on certain ships? I am sailing on the JOS next month and when I try to book entertainment it says "sorry".:confused:

Do you need to book the entertainment across the fleet or only on certain ships? I am sailing on the JOS next month and when I try to book entertainment it says "sorry".:confused:

We were on the Jewel last month and did not have to reserve shows. I understand that it is only necessary (and available) on the larger ships. We are going on the Liberty in January and I was told that I could make a reservation for the ice show (only) 90 days prior.

I understand RCI allows you to carry on 2 bottles of wine. Do they restrict the size of the bottle? Can you carry on 2 1.5 ml bottles? Someone mentioned they carried on 2 boxes of wine. What size boxes are accepted?

I understand RCI allows you to carry on 2 bottles of wine. Do they restrict the size of the bottle? Can you carry on 2 1.5 ml bottles? Someone mentioned they carried on 2 boxes of wine. What size boxes are accepted?

I don't know why you would wish to carry on a 1.5 ml bottle...that is even smaller than a thimbleful of wine. :p

You may, however, bring onboard 2 full size bottles, but you are limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom.

:D:):D

Link: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Edited by Coralc