Another upgrade question

vadell

I booked a standard balcony cabin with ta and received a discount I have today noticed on celebrity website that the concierge cabin is only £64 more expensive than the standard cabin I called my travel agent to ask to pay for upgrade but have been told that I would need to pay £272 because I would have to pay the difference between the discounted price I paid and the current concierge price. If I booked the concierge cabin today I would get the discount on the concierge price so it would be less than £130 extra to the price I paid. Has anyone else been in the same situation can I do anything ?

If you can get the discount price for the CC if it was a new booking, what's to prevent you from cancelling the previous booking and starting anew? Does your TA charge a cancellation fee, or are you past the final payment date and into the penalty period with Celebrity for cancelling?

If you can get the discount price for the CC if it was a new booking, what's to prevent you from cancelling the previous booking and starting anew? Does your TA charge a cancellation fee, or are you past the final payment date and into the penalty period with Celebrity for cancelling?

They are in UK, so deposit would be non-refundable.

I had something similar happen to me. I booked an oceanview and by sheer luck they upgraded me to a concierge balcony. Now there is a "suite guarantee" available that is priced $300 p.p. less than the concierge. I called and asked what it would cost to move up to the suite guarantee. I was told it would be the difference between what I paid for the oceanview and the cost of the suite. That was about $600 p.p. so I stuck with what I have. I didn't cost anything to ask and there was nothing to loose. I will go on my cruise and love the heck out of our free upgrade cabin.

How would this help? I believe the OP stated that that Celebrity is willing to upgrade for the difference between what they paid for the balcony and the current price for the CC. That is better than cancelling. Seem like a fair offer or am I missing something?

We have paid £300 deposit, if the deposit had been less it would be cheaper to cancel & rebook the cc. As it stands the price for cc has come down but the standard balcony price has gone up. I thought I could pay the difference & upgrade but that is not the case. It is disappointing that had I not booked until now the cc cabin would be around £130 cheaper. It is our first cruise & initially I had not done enough research & even took the cabin allocated by celebrity without realising I had a choice. I wish I had joined cruise critic first.

vadell,

First welcome to Cruise Critic and Cruising.

It can be very educating, addictive as well Phenomenal!

As in love and life ..cruising too.. is what we make of it.

You learn by doing, as we all having had too. I learn each and every day I am given the gift of life.

Once you do get a few voyages under your belt you may see how well it is now.

In the UK there you do have a complete set of rules, taxes and governance.

So some things do apply and some do not. Knowing those also will benefit you and your family more.

I do wish you calm seas and the wind at your back. :cool:

We have paid £300 deposit, if the deposit had been less it would be cheaper to cancel & rebook the cc. As it stands the price for cc has come down but the standard balcony price has gone up. I thought I could pay the difference & upgrade but that is not the case. It is disappointing that had I not booked until now the cc cabin would be around £130 cheaper. It is our first cruise & initially I had not done enough research & even took the cabin allocated by celebrity without realising I had a choice. I wish I had joined cruise critic first.

How would this help? I believe the OP stated that that Celebrity is willing to upgrade for the difference between what they paid for the balcony and the current price for the CC. That is better than cancelling. Seem like a fair offer or am I missing something?

If OP were able to cancel and rebook, he would have to pay less than £130 more than he's currently paying. As it is, he is unable to, and so would have to pay £272 more to upgrade through the TA.

Hi and welcome to CC! Like you, we did some things booking cruises which we would never do now. Chalk it up to experience and education. CC is the greatest resource for information on how to do things (and how not to do things as well). We learn so much here from others who have experienced things we have not, and we continue to learn something almost every day.

Next time you will be more informed in making your decisions. Please don't let this disappointment put a cloud over your cruise vacation experience. Go and enjoy.

Happy sailing!

Doris

Booked gty OV on Mercury to Alaska. Just received a $200.00 per person price drop and was upraded to a Superior Veranda on deck 9. Thank you Celebrity.

Archived