According to the NCL website beds have been upgraded??

A very plush makeover.

Every bed, in every stateroom, on every ship has upgraded linens, pillows, mattresses and memory foam mattress or toppers to give you the lushest, plushest, most comfortable bed you've ever slept in. So sleep in, order breakfast in bed and relax - you are on vacation. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleAccommodations

Is this a true statement based on your experience? I ask because I read a recent review that said the beds were a "little stiff" and not comfortable.

We were on 4/18/10 Dawn cruise to Bermuda. The beds were comfortable but not sure whether they were new or old, there was no pillow top or memory foam mattress? All I knew, one afternoon there was lot of noise on the hall way. When we opened our cabin door, they were replacing the hallway carpets. It is possible between the cruises they may be changing the beds etc.

We sailed the Pearl in January and they had the upgraded stuff (been around since 2.0 a few years now). That being said we sailed the Majesty before she left the fleet and they didn't spend the money to upgrade to the new mattresses or toppers since they were leasing the ship and didn't own it.

My suggestion is when you get on your cruise try out the bed and if it is too hard get your cabin steward to put an egg crate on the bed to soften it. So this asap since they only have so many and they tend to go fast.

Is this a true statement based on your experience? I ask because I read a recent review that said the beds were a "little stiff" and not comfortable.

We were on the spirit in October. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were nice as well. But.... can't see why we need a duvet in the caribbean.

A very plush makeover.

Every bed, in every stateroom, on every ship has upgraded linens, pillows, mattresses and memory foam mattress or toppers to give you the lushest, plushest, most comfortable bed you've ever slept in. So sleep in, order breakfast in bed and relax - you are on vacation. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleAccommodations

Well, like so many things, I guess bed comfort can be subjective, but thinking the beds are wonderful on NCL (or at least our last 3 cruises) is like saying the breakfast buffet sucks. A person would have to have a very strange idea of comfort.

Nita

We were on the spirit in October. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were nice as well. But.... can't see why we need a duvet in the caribbean.

I am not a huge lover of duvets, just because they hold the heat. We had them on the Pearl last week, most of the time I kicked it off..

Nita

i found the last two cruises quite comfy and i am very picky about the bed too hard, too soft...but this was pretty good...had two singles push together...i just stay away from the middle area and its fine:D

We are just off the Jewel and the sheets drove me crazy!

They were almost like the old fashioned percale sheets, very crisp but almost plastic like and made a swishing noise. My daugher and I had our beds as twins and every morning I joked that her sheets kept me up all night! (the swishing noise really did)

Thanks everyone for your replies. :) I will ask for the topper if I find the bed too hard. I LOVE my memory foam mattress and recommend it to anyone who has pain issues like I do. I have a tough time of it traveling many times with my arthritis and bursitis.

I'm not a 100% sure but wasn't upgrading the bedding part of Freestyle 2.0? It sounds like this might be referring to that, which of course begs the question how long does something remain new and improved. (And FWIW I find the beds to be comfy and I don't use the duvet because I can't say duvet, doesn't seem right to use something if you can't pronounce it's name.)

I'm not a 100% sure but wasn't upgrading the bedding part of Freestyle 2.0? It sounds like this might be referring to that, which of course begs the question how long does something remain new and improved. (And FWIW I find the beds to be comfy and I don't use the duvet because I can't say duvet, doesn't seem right to use something if you can't pronounce it's name.)

Exactly this was under 2.0--they need to update their web site to make sure they are putting out the latest information and not some information on an improvement that happened over two years ago.

BG

Exactly this was under 2.0--they need to update their web site to make sure they are putting out the latest information and not some information on an improvement that happened over two years ago.

BG

Not over 2 years ago but not last week either. They were just starting the replacements on the Spirit about 18 months ago. Pretty new if you consider the old ones were in service for 10 years and not near the quality of the upgraded replacements.

2950837670059187889S425x425Q85.jpg

Not over 2 years ago but not last week either. They were just starting the replacements on the Spirit about 18 months ago. Pretty new if you consider the old ones were in service for 10 years and not near the quality of the upgraded replacements.

It started over two years ago and took about 6 months to complete.

The Jade was first during her dry dock on the way over the Europe.

Yes, that is exactly right. As far as I know throughtout 2008 all beding and matresses were upgraded, at least on the 3 ships we sailed.

Nita

We were on the Pearl in April. Both DH and I loved the beds. They are soft enough for me and firm enough for him. We have the "Number" bed at home for that reason. I deal with fibromyalgia and so need a very soft bed. DH has back problems and needs a firmer mattress. We were both satisfied.

Also, the nicest thing was that when one person moved or the ship was rocking, the bed did not transfer or magnify the movement. I'd love to know where to get the Bliss bed for the next time we need to buy.

My bed on the Jewel was very comfortable (just got home today). It had a soft mattress topper. Of course by the time I went to bed late each night I was so darn tired anything might have felt good, but as I sit in my bed now...it was definatly more comfy than what I have at home now. Duvet cover was often too warm at night.

We are just off the Jewel and the sheets drove me crazy!

They were almost like the old fashioned percale sheets, very crisp but almost plastic like and made a swishing noise. My daugher and I had our beds as twins and every morning I joked that her sheets kept me up all night! (the swishing noise really did)

Yuk.

Thanks everyone for your replies. :) I will ask for the topper if I find the bed too hard. I LOVE my memory foam mattress and recommend it to anyone who has pain issues like I do. I have a tough time of it traveling many times with my arthritis and bursitis.

Not everyone loves them (me):) I find them very difficult to move in. almost like quicksand. I hate 'em. Did I mention that I hate them? LOL :D I move a lot in bed, and they frustrate the heck out of me lol

I am not a huge lover of duvets, just because they hold the heat. We had them on the Pearl last week, most of the time I kicked it off..

Nita

Do they still have just the duvet and no top sheet? Last time we asked the steward to add a top sheet because there was none and the duvet was too hot.

Our bed on the Jade this winter (real queen, in a suite) was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept on. I keep kicking myself for not checking what it was made of or who made it. Anyone know? Thanks!

I have sailed three times on NCL and always had a top sheet with the duvet. We just turned the AC to 'freeze out' setting and snuggled in with the duvet.

Great...maybe that is standard now. They didn't have one on either of our 2 previous NCL cruises, all before yours, so I'm hoping that is the case. One less request to make.

Our bed on the Jade this winter (real queen, in a suite) was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept on. I keep kicking myself for not checking what it was made of or who made it. Anyone know? Thanks!

See the picture post 14. ;)

Archived