Help! Booked Liberty of the Seas, but not sure.

stewmon

Wondering if anyone has advice. New to cruising. Family of 5 (kids will be 9,14,16) at spring break. Just booked RCCI Liberty of the Seas 8 night cruise out of Miami (St. Thomas, St. Maartan, San Juan, and Labadee). I had considered Carnival Liberty that went to Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk as it was cheaper (by a fair bit) and I have heard nice things about Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. I thought RCCI would give the kids more to do and be a bit nicer ship. My husband thinks my 16 year old son will be bored. Don't think that at all. Our criteria was to have the ship leave out of Florida (my daughter wants to visit the new Harry Potter exhibit) and stop at San Juan (my son is really a history buff and has heard good things about San Juan). Do you think I made the right choice? I can still change the reservations. I personally am a little unsure about Labadee. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, we booked connecting inside rooms for affordability (could have connecting balcony rooms on Carnival for almost same price). :confused:

Wondering if anyone has advice. New to cruising. Family of 5 (kids will be 9,14,16) at spring break. Just booked RCCI Liberty of the Seas 8 night cruise out of Miami (St. Thomas, St. Maartan, San Juan, and Labadee). I had considered Carnival Liberty that went to Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk as it was cheaper (by a fair bit) and I have heard nice things about Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. I thought RCCI would give the kids more to do and be a bit nicer ship. My husband thinks my 16 year old son will be bored. Don't think that at all. Our criteria was to have the ship leave out of Florida (my daughter wants to visit the new Harry Potter exhibit) and stop at San Juan (my son is really a history buff and has heard good things about San Juan). Do you think I made the right choice? I can still change the reservations. I personally am a little unsure about Labadee. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, we booked connecting inside rooms for affordability (could have connecting balcony rooms on Carnival for almost same price). :confused:

I think your choice is a good one. The Freedom class ships (of which Liberty is one) are fantastic. Lots of things to do for the kids and adults as well. The ship (IMO) is prettier than Carnival Liberty. Of course, I don't think you'd be disappointed in Carnival Liberty, and it sounds like you probably wouldn't save any money since you'd probably book the balcony cabins if you selected Carnival. Not to worry about Labadee, it's a beautiful stop for a beach day. Yes, HMC is gorgeous, but many have said Turks and Caicos doesn't have a lot to offer.

Unless money is an issue and you want to save by booking interior rooms on Carnival, I'd stick with what you have.

Jo-Ann

If your kids are bored on LOS...then you should stop bringing them on cruises! There's no way a normal child will suffer boredom!!!!

This is a vacation....everyone will have a great time, and good memories....stop stressing about your choice! You made a good one!

I think your kids will have a great time. We took our daughter (then 15) and her friend (then 16) on the Rhapsody, which is a much smaller ship and I can only say they would have had an even better time on the Liberty OTS. As far as the inside cabins go, once you get under way you, and the kids, will probably use it for changing and sleeping. There is much to do on a ship and they have good programs for the age goups. What a treat for your DD to go to the Harry Potter at Universal. we are waiting ourselves to see that. Old San Juan is also a very interesting place to visit. Hope you have enough time to see all. We end our repo this fall in San Juan and it will be nice to get back to see what we missed the last time. I can't speak to Labadee as we have never been there. I do know other cruisers that have been and they say it is fine. It is in a private area and is safe. I think your choice is the best you have to chose from. Enjoy your cruise. :o

Larry

Labadee is one of my favorite places. What are you unsure about? Basically it is a beach day and lunch is served on the island. I was just there 3 weeks ago on LOS. Enjoy your cruise..looks like you have lots of time to plan all the details.

If I could get a balcony cabin for almost the same price as an inside (or just slightly more), I would do it. I believe either ship will have great programs for the kids. Remember too, the Carnival ships have those big curvy slides. I can't remember if Liberty of the Seas has a flow-rider area in one of their pools - sort of like surfing (it might be the Oasis or one of their other ships). Been to Labadee as well and it's a great beach day! Never been to Turks & Caicos - that's still considered a relatively new port and maybe one day we'll get there! So either way, see where you'll get the best deal for your buck and enjoy!

I do not think there is any way your 16 year old will be bored on Liberty of the Seas. There is a flowrider - he can learn to body surf and surf, there is an ice rink for ice skating, there is a sports court, an awesome fitness center, a main pool and a sports pool, frozen yogurt bar, Ben and Jerry's, Sea Trek (he could choose to get certified for scuba diving while onboard.) The Living Room (teen hangout), Fuel (teens only nightclub), Challenger's Arcade (video games), Johnny Rocket's, Rock climbing wall, Sports court for basketball, etc., mini golf, not to mention all the shows and food and how your son can move about the ship independently and enjoy himself.

Labadee has all kinds of watersports including banana boats, snorkeling, jet skis, there is a great beach, they do a cookout and there are hammocks to hang out on.

There is a great deal of history regarding St. Thomas AND St. Martin - think pirates and plantations, for example!

I think you and your kids are going to have an absolute blast!

One excursion for St. Maarten that your kids might like is the America's Cup Regatta - you sail in an America's Cup 12-meter yacht in a race against another boat. We had a ball.

The Stars & Stripes and Canada II (this was taken from the deck of our ship as we left the harbor)

DSC09802.jpg

Our group on the Stars & Stripes (We won).

DSCF0184.jpg

I haven't been on that ship but I have sailed with them year before last when I was 15 and I never got bored but the same holds with the Carnival ships I've been on. If you would rather have balcony rooms which are a little bigger than you should go with Carnival but interior rooms aren't bad just smaller but from past cruises for me you're only in the room to sleep and change.

My teens were bored on Carnival, but absolutely LOVE Royal Caribbean's ships! Lot's of activity and much better teen clubs. You made the right choice. Labadee is one of our favorite ports in the Caribbean...lovely beach.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. It sounds like RCCI is the way to go with our family. My husband has changed his mind and now wants balcony cabins. I priced it out on RCCI and it will cost $5800 for 2 connecting balcony cabins vs. $3800 connecting inside staterooms. The connecting balcony rooms on Carnival Liberty was going to cost $3900. Big differences. I didn't realize that the prices change so frequently. Within a matter of a week, they want $300 more for the connecting balcony cabins on RCCI. How do you keep up? Just book and then keep checking to get a reduced price? I would wait but we want connecting cabins which are harder to come by. Appreciate all the advice as we have never cruised. :o

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. It sounds like RCCI is the way to go with our family. My husband has changed his mind and now wants balcony cabins. I priced it out on RCCI and it will cost $5800 for 2 connecting balcony cabins vs. $3800 connecting inside staterooms. The connecting balcony rooms on Carnival Liberty was going to cost $3900. Big differences. I didn't realize that the prices change so frequently. Within a matter of a week, they want $300 more for the connecting balcony cabins on RCCI. How do you keep up? Just book and then keep checking to get a reduced price? I would wait but we want connecting cabins which are harder to come by. Appreciate all the advice as we have never cruised. :o

I'm usually a loyal RC fan, but for $2000 difference I think I would go on Carnival. Balconies are the way to go. I have sailed on both lines and consider them to be similar in many ways.

By the way don't count on the prices dropping. If they don't, you won't be disappointed.

It is important to check prices on an almost daily basis. I do think the suggestion above of a balcony for you and your husband and an inside across the hall for the kids is a good one - and much cheaper. But if you must get connecting balcony's check prices daily - there can be sudden price drops/one day sales that you must jump on immediately to take advantage of.

Also think about getting a prescription for Antivert for everyone so no one gets seasick. You might not need it, but then again, you really, really might need it, so it is best to have it on hand.

We usually book balconies for my husband and myself, and book our kids into their own inside/promenade cabin across the hall (RCI and Princess both allowed us to do this, and it was not necessary to have one adult in each room on the paperwork).

On Liberty of the Seas, on deck 9 all the way in the back, the last side facing balcony connects to an inside. And, all the way towards the front, the first side facing balcony connects to a window cabin. You should check to see if these combos are available on your sailing.

As for the recommendation above to get a prescription for Antivert - no prescription is necessary. The generic name for Antivert is Meclizine and it is available over the counter under both store brands and under the trade name Bonine or Dramamine Non-drowsy formula.

Archived