Lunch on Embarkation Day

Donh44

This is my first NCL cruise. Other ships that I have been on had buffet lunch going on the Lido deck all afternoon before sailaway. Will there be anything like this on EPIC? I am going to be pretty hungry after travelling from early am to get to the port.

This is my first NCL cruise. Other ships that I have been on had buffet lunch going on the Lido deck all afternoon before sailaway. Will there be anything like this on EPIC? I am going to be pretty hungry after travelling from early am to get to the port.

Garden Café (Buffet) will be open. O'Shehans and one main dining room should be as well.

On a related note, what time do you think we'll be able to get onto the Epic? What is the earliest time to embark? What is the best time to embark with the least amount of crowds?

On my 1st cruise last year, I was told that the later you check in the easier it would be. I arrived at the gate in Ft. Lauderdale around 2:30 PM and it took me about an hour to wait in line, check in and embark. :mad:

I don't know for NCL, I have not tried them yet (maybe in December on the Epic) but I did two Carnival cruises and I arrived in port around 11:30 ish. It normally took me between 45 minutes to 1h to get on the ship and sit in the buffet for a lunch.

On a related note, what time do you think we'll be able to get onto the Epic? What is the earliest time to embark? What is the best time to embark with the least amount of crowds?

On my 1st cruise last year, I was told that the later you check in the easier it would be. I arrived at the gate in Ft. Lauderdale around 2:30 PM and it took me about an hour to wait in line, check in and embark. :mad:

My edocs state that check in begins at noon. It also asks that passengers arrive no more than 1 hour prior to this. I like to get on the ship as soon as possible. Just bear in mind that the rooms may not be ready. If they don't have a place to store carry-ons you'll have to schlep it around the ship. When I was on the Pearl the rooms weren't ready until 2pm.

I never arrive late in the embarkation process... I usually cannot wait to get aboard. However, with Freestyle Debarkation, departing guests can stay in their rooms until they debark the ship (up to say 10:30 or 11) so of course rooms will not be available. Usually, I arrive early, bout 11, get on board ASAP and then go find food and try to tour the ship (get my bearings). It seems that the later you arrive to the port, the bigger the crush of people boarding. I will be in Miami 3 days before the cruise, plenty of time to wait in line :D

~Intrepid <-- early bird

Thanks for the info ERLEC, cymberle, intrepid-guy and RickinNYC. I will plan to get in line around 11 AM or 11:30AM on Embarkation day. I'd really like to take advantage of some of the amenities on the day we sail and get oriented with the ship. It would be nice to get lunch immediately upon boarding - then having many adult beverages! Or, I suppose my first order of business upon boarding should be the adult beverage - then lunch...:rolleyes:

I aways get to the pier before 11:00. I would rather wait comfortably in a chair after a quick checkin then stand in a long line. With 4000+ passengers and their baggage to get off the ship it will be interesting how long after the ship docks they can start boarding.

As a point of reference here are a couple of pictures from the pier in NYC with both the Spirit and Crown docked and sharing one pier and the Dawn one pier over. The first picture out front around 11:00 the second just after 12:00.

2962827880059187889S425x425Q85.jpg

2434821170059187889S425x425Q85.jpg

I agree with arriving early. Even if you do have to wait you have a room full of excited people around you. I found that when I arrive on the early side my bags are also at my room quicker. Last year I arrived later and got a tad nervous about my bags. It is nice to get to roam the ship a bit in the common areas. You can always go by the pool and relax. They usually have a sail away BBQ too.

My DH and I have gotten to the piers early and late....WE prefer EARLY so we can get on and relax, we don't care if our room is ready yet or not. Most people are still flying in when we are on embarking the ship.

We also fly in the day before now. It takes all the craziness out of the day.

Our last cruise (carnival) we arrived at the port at 11:10 and were eating on the ship by 11:45. It was the fastest we had EVER gotten on a ship. Usually it has taken us about 45 mins to an hour except for the one we got there later...that one took us 2 hours.:eek:

And our last cruise we could not go to our rooms until 1:30 and when we arrived most of our luggage was already at the door..IT WAS GREAT!!

So get there early, get a bite to eat and a great big drink...YOUR ON VACATION!!! LETS PARTY!!!

After reading all the posts here, it appears the early arrival is best. I am now thinking about swimming out into the middle of the shipping lane and waiving my E-Ticket and passport. Do you think they might stop and pick me up?

Donn the Living Room area of the Studios is suppose to have some things to eat so you may not have to go far. Wait for Jun 10 people to report back. They have several members in Studio Room.

Thank you so much - looking forward to their comments. GOSH!! June 10, only 8 more days for them.

So..

If, according to yesterday's webcast, the Manhattan diningroom will not be open for lunch,

What is anyone's best guess on where we can go for a sit-down lunch on embarkation day?

Taste is the other 'included' diningroom but in the Atrium - busy enough on embarkation day.

Archived