Dessert in Speciality Restaurants

antsmom

Maybe I'm way off base here but think about this for a moment.;)

The specialty restaurants have, as their name implies, special things. If everyone could go just for a dessert that is not offered in the MDR without a charge, there would be a line from one end of the ship to the other.:D

Is there a surcharge if you want to go to the a Speciality restaurant just for dessert - like chocolate fondue at LeBistro?

Yep and since your paying, you might as well sit and eat the meal! :)

I don't think the OP's question is unreasonable. It is quite possible that the specialty restaurants may have a la carte pricing for some items, like dessert, that one could get and pay for separately without eating at the restaurant and without paying the full meal surcharge.

I don't think the OP's question is unreasonable. It is quite possible that the specialty restaurants may have a la carte pricing for some items, like dessert, that one could get and pay for separately without eating at the restaurant and without paying the full meal surcharge.

I don't think it was an unreasonable question either. As resourceful as NCL is with coming up with new revenue streams, I would not be surprised to see something like this experimented with as some point in time.

For example, dessert and coffee at LeBistro for $7. I personally know my wife and daughter would definitely go to LeBistro for the crème brulee. Best dessert they've every had on a cruise.

You never know.

IMHO, I don't NCL would want to waste a table on dessert and coffee when they could fill them with the $20 per head people. Now, maybe if the opened up a "Just Dessert" venue and offered the specialty restuarant deserrts and coffees then that's a different story. I know they have Java Cafe but maybe that could be expanded and offer the desserts from say 5-10 pm.:)

(I have a sudden urge for creme brulee right now.)

I don't think it was an unreasonable question either. As resourceful as NCL is with coming up with new revenue streams, I would not be surprised to see something like this experimented with as some point in time.

For example, dessert and coffee at LeBistro for $7. I personally know my wife and daughter would definitely go to LeBistro for the crème brulee. Best dessert they've every had on a cruise.

You never know.

I have to agree with you. I thought I made a good creme brulee until I had it at Le Bistro.:)

I have at least twice, requested and recieved a dessert to go from a Specality Restaurant. I first had the chocolate apricot torte at the Italian restaurant on Jade (La Tratorria?) so later during the cruise on my birthday I stopped in and asked for a piece as my birthday "cake". They took no time to bring me a piece with a room service type cover. Last month on Sun, I saw that Il Adiago had the same dessert listed on their menu, I was worried that since it wasn't my birthday that they might not be as willing as on Jade. But I stopped in one night after dinner in the MDR and asked and again with it seemed to not be a problem at all. Not sure if I had of asked to enjoy it in the restaurant if it would have made a difference. I just know that DDP and I prefer to stop by the buffet for some milk, return to our room, get comfy and enjoy dessert on the balcony after a nice dinner.

You never know.

It would unprofitable for NCL to allow this. Just imagine 2/4 to 8 ppl taking up a table for a $7 dessert each and free water when there are ppl at the door clammering for dinner wine dessert.

Would you do it if it was your restauarant not if you were smart.

No one said the question was unreasonable but the request may be questionable.;)

I was just trying to point out that if everyone could get something that is "better" without paying, who wouldn't go for it? The specialty restaurants, as far as my experience, do not have a la carte pricing, you pay one price and get everything, with exception of paying a bit more for a few things.

There's a mussel appetizer on Le Bistro's menu that I could make a meal on so maybe I could just have that without paying.:)

One poster seems to have gotten just dessert a couple of times so I surely can't say it can't be done but IMO, if everyone makes such request, it is turning the surcharge restaurants into something else.

LOWTYD has a nice suggestion about a dessert only venue but that quite possibly could be pay as well if they are not run of the mill desserts.

Yes, I would do it, and still be smart -- but as a "to go" option only. It's perfectly reasonable to reserve limited seating for guests buying the whole meal, but a restaurant can choose not to limit its service to table service.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Yes, I would do it, and still be smart -- but as a "to go" option only. It's perfectly reasonable to reserve limited seating for guests buying the whole meal, but a restaurant can choose not to limit its service to table service.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Your not comparing apples to apples, yes I would to on a "take out bases".

It would unprofitable for NCL to allow this. Just imagine 2/4 to 8 ppl taking up a table for a $7 dessert each and free water when there are ppl at the door clammering for dinner wine dessert.

I'd rather have people at my tables paying $7 for coffee and desert instead of having empty chairs paying $0. LeBistro was 75% unoccupied after 7:30 on my past cruise.

Maybe it would be best to offer it as a later in the evening option. Maybe after 8:00 pm only.

I'd never say never with NCL. They are very creative in coming up with new revenue streams.

I have at least twice, requested and recieved a dessert to go from a Specality Restaurant. I first had the chocolate apricot torte at the Italian restaurant on Jade (La Tratorria?) so later during the cruise on my birthday I stopped in and asked for a piece as my birthday "cake". They took no time to bring me a piece with a room service type cover. Last month on Sun, I saw that Il Adiago had the same dessert listed on their menu, I was worried that since it wasn't my birthday that they might not be as willing as on Jade. But I stopped in one night after dinner in the MDR and asked and again with it seemed to not be a problem at all. Not sure if I had of asked to enjoy it in the restaurant if it would have made a difference. I just know that DDP and I prefer to stop by the buffet for some milk, return to our room, get comfy and enjoy dessert on the balcony after a nice dinner.

This also has worked for me. I for one do not enjoy the MDR, so we mainly dine in the Specality Restaurants. It never hurts to ask.

They best scrounge up an extra few hundred fondue pots ;)
Maybe they can use all the extra coffee pots they took from the inside cabins;)

MONGO! Welcome home, missed your humor on the boards!

ROFL, where are they going to come up with all the little fondue forks?

I should open a consession restaurant on one of the ships, a little fondue stube where only dessert fondues were offered with banana slices, oranges, angel food and pound cake, brownies, and other goodies for $15 a head and served from 7:30-11:30 pm. I wonder how much NCL would charge me to rent a space....:eek:

I've heard that suite guests can have this brought to their room--ie order dinner from MDR menu but appetizers/dessert from specialty restaurant with no extra charge. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard that suite guests can have this brought to their room--ie order dinner from MDR menu but appetizers/dessert from specialty restaurant with no extra charge. Can anyone confirm this?

That is what we were told also. I guess it is just another "suite perk"!

I'm turning over a new leaf (one of these days)

I'll be the new board fuddy duddy grump ;)

Oh great! That is all we need, another one of those who complain about everything. (Will you have to turn in your NCL paycheck card now?)

Archived