Cruise Attire

Cru1s1ng2009

I know i am going to get in trouble for how I word this so please dont be offended. I have heard that X caters to a slightly above 'budget' cruise clientele. That being said, how is the dress code compaired to RCCI and Carnival?

About me:

I would never wear jeans to dinner unless my bag didnt arrive that first night until after dinner. I prefer capri's and a nice top for all day (unless I am at the pool) and only touch up my make-up and add accessories for dinner. My formal nights consist of dress pants and blouse or a nice dress. Nothing formal anymore.

Would I fit in?

I know i am going to get in trouble for how I word this so please dont be offended. I have heard that X caters to a slightly above 'budget' cruise clientele. That being said, how is the dress code compaired to RCCI and Carnival?

About me:

I would never wear jeans to dinner unless my bag didnt arrive that first night until after dinner. I prefer capri's and a nice top for all day (unless I am at the pool) and only touch up my make-up and add accessories for dinner. My formal nights consist of dress pants and blouse or a nice dress. Nothing formal anymore.

Would I fit in?

Yes.

What about after dinner and just walking around the ship. Can yu wear shorts and a nice shirt? Or is is alwas long pants after 6pm?

If you are going to be in the public venues in the evening, shorts would not be appropriate. Celebrity is unlike other lines in the fact that passengers do not tend to go back to their cabins after dinner and change into shorts and t shirts.

If you want to be naked, go for it. But if you don't like these threads, why bother reading them if they upset you so much.

You make an excellent point. I guess my natural optimism causes me to hope there might actually be a thread on this topic that is different from every other one I have read....lol.

dress codes on any cruise line are "suggested" have you ever read the fine print in the cruise contract......Celebrity is about making money....They will suggest you dress a certain way but they are not going to throw you off the ship if you dont.

This is not true. Celebrity's dress code is not a "suggestion" - it is a dress code that guests are expected to follow. Nobody said they will throw you off the ship if you violate the dress code - that is just silly. Often the dress code is enforced and a guest will be told to change their clothes if they are underdressed for the venue.

You will definitely fit in. People dress very similarly to people on HAL or Princess. Don't worry about it being more upscale - it isn't. However, I do agree that people do stay dressed after dinner - you will not see many people going around in shorts and tee shirts in the evening. That said, on our last cruise, we did see a man each evening in shorts and a tee shirt and no shoes even in the theater! You can imagine what a scandal that was:eek:

To answer the OP's question - yes you will fit in.

It was a simple, nonconfrontational question and deserves a simple, straightforward answer.

I have sailed on Celebrity several times and will be again this Summer. IMHO, Celebrity definitely attracts a more "upscale" crowd than some of the other mass market cruise lines. AND, on more than one occasion, I have witnessed people being turned away from the MDR for not being dressed in compliance with the dress code. AND, each time, the Maitre D' actually got a round of applause from the other guests waiting to enter.

I have seen a wide variety of attire on formal nights, but it is generally in accordance with the dress code, and in good taste. However, I must say that the most unusual outfit I ever saw was an evening we were dining at the Captain's table. One of the other guests at the table was wearing what I can best describe as a jogging suit or sweatsuit with a few sequins. I was a little surprised she was allowed in the MDR, and especially that she was at the captain's table, but it turned out she was a friend of the Captain's family.

This is about as dressy as jeans get and somehow they just don't seem to fit in a beautiful dining room in the evening.

I'd take 1 and 4 anyday in the dining room over polyester elasticated waist pants that so many cruisers seem to love.

About me:

Would I fit in?

Yes, Celebrity is a little more upscale, but people from all walks of life cruise with them - I am definitely not above "budget." I've never cruised with Carnival, but X and RCI have pretty much the same dress codes. What you prefer for day wear is perfectly fine for casual nights. Your choices for formal nights will also work.

Archived