Review of Silver Wind from 1st timer on Silver Sea

BWR47CT

Here is the link to the review I wrote about our Istanbul to Venice trip last month:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66835

Noticed you said "dinner wasn't served until 7:30" which you (and I) found a bit late. Do all of the restaurants open at 7:30 on Silversea? I am on Whisper in Sept.

Here is the link to the review I wrote about our Istanbul to Venice trip last month:

Sounds exactly like what we're hoping to experience when we sail on the Wind in 3 weeks. We just got our documents today, and we're getting more excited by the day! Glad you had a great time, and thanks for sharing.

:D

Like the OP in his/her review, I wish that the restaurants opened at 7 pm. 7:30 is a bit late for my tastes.

There are lots of appetizers served earlier (6 ish) and there is afternoon tea and there is always room service!

Sounds exactly like what we're hoping to experience when we sail on the Wind in 3 weeks. We just got our documents today, and we're getting more excited by the day! Glad you had a great time, and thanks for sharing.

:D

We haven't received our docs yet, jpalbny. Did you get yours from your TA or direct from SS?

Thanks for posting this -- you described the kind of cruise on which I want to be. I got a bit concerned after reading another review of this cruise but you've reassured me. Sailing on the wind soon.

We were on this same cruise, and we had a fantastic experience also. It was exactly the experience we were looking for, and we enjoyed every minute. We booked another cruise for next year, and we're looking forward to that.

Just checked my daily chronicles from the Silver Spirit T/A in Jan of this year. Dinner in the Restaurant is 1900 and Le Champagne is 1930. I would imagine that the other ships in the fleet are the same.

Just checked my daily chronicles from the Silver Spirit T/A in Jan of this year. Dinner in the Restaurant is 1900 and Le Champagne is 1930. I would imagine that the other ships in the fleet are the same.

unless it's changed sinc March,dinner is served starting at 7;30

On our voyage on the Wind, dinner in the restaurant was at 7:30. It may be different on the Spirit or it may be that your Chronicle was wrong. The Chronicle for Apr. 8 stated that the restaurant was open for breakfast until 10:00. We went that day at 9:40 and were told it closed at 9:30. I was so certain about what I had read that I went back after breakfast at Le Terrazza and reread - yes, I had been correct but the restaurant apparently didn't get the same schedule as was printed in the Chronicle or more likely, the Chronicle got it wrong.

An agent on the phone with Silversea told me 6:30, and the preponderance on here say 7:30 and our lone 7:00. We will, of course, adjust our schedules to whatever happens on board, but the differences puzzle me.

Specifically we will be on Whisper and on a crossing, so maybe thats the variable?

I have the daily chronicles for all 16 days of our cruise on Spirit and they all say the same thing: Restaurant, La Terrazza and Stone Grill 1900; Le Champagne and Seishin 1930. We never go to dinner before 1930-2000, so all I can do is tell you what the daily chronicles say.

Just got off the Silver Wind this morning from the Rome - Barcelona trip. Dinner was served every evening at 7:30 pm.

Nice review by the OP. Just to answer one comment, we had dinner with Roberto the Hotel Director and he told us that lobster had been delivered to the ship, intended for dinner in the dining room for the Captain's Welcome. However, it was not up to the standards of the Chef and he chose not to serve it. He substituted a scallops and shrimp dish instead. I'd rather he did that than serve bad seafood.

Overall a great, relaxing cruise. I'll try to post a review later.

Hi Guys

We are booked on SS for the March trip in the Canary Islands on Silverwind. I would appreciate your comments on the ship, service etc when you return from your respective cruises. This is our 30th anniversary cruise and I would welcome more recent comments about the ship and staff. The Older posts prior to the refurb were not very enthusiastic.

Lastly, any "insider" tips you could give a first time SS cruiser would be appreciated

B:)on Voyage to all

For those who have cruised the Wind recently we would like some feedback relative to a longer cruise on her. We are booked next Mar/Apr from Capetown-Lisbon (28 days) in a verandah suite. We generally cruise for @ 3 weeks and like sea days, but we normally travel on ships like Shadow, Spirit and Regent Voyager. The smallest cruise ship we've traveled on was the old Raddison Diamond, which we really liked. Is the Wind a good ship for a longer cruise? We don't do shows, but we like to dance and we spend a lot of time at sea on our balcony. Is she a stable ship in moderate seas? Would my lovely bride get cabin fever on the Wind on a longer cruise? All comments are encouraged. We are big fans of SS.

We did nearly three weeks on Wind post-refurb late last year -- we like sea days too. In some respects, Wind is cosier than Shadow/Whisper -- for example, the Panorama Lounge is less barn-like. Wind has the advantage over Cloud of the full refit: proper Pool Grill, Observation Lounge up front, improved Terrazza. So for us, Wind is totally OK -- we are booked on Cloud for two three-week-plus trips in 2011. There is dancing, often with unobtrusive "gentlemen hosts" if there are many sea days. A balcony is pretty much a balcony, though the suites (especially the bathrooms) on Wind are a bit smaller than Shadow/Whisper. Stability is really no different compared with Shadow/Whisper: if you would have been comfortable or uncomfortable on Shadow/Whisper in particular sea conditions, you'd probably feel the same on Wind/Cloud.

Thanks for the input, jgibbs. It is much appreciated. We were originally booked for just the Capetown-Las Palmas cruise, but we decided to continue on to Lisbon because of the screwy air out of Las Palmas. I'm afraid that would have been the flight trip from hell. The forced overnight in Las Palmas was also a consideration.

This is probably no help now that you're continuing to Lisbon, but there's a good hotel (Hotel AC Gran Canaria) very close to the port in Las Palmas. The distance barely justifies a cab ride. And there are scheduled flights with Iberia to Madrid, from where you can get pretty much anywhere. We did this in the reverse direction two years ago, and from our balcony in the hotel, we saw Silver Wind come in to Las Palmas.

Archived