What is the best time to go to Bermuda?

ihopfar

We are looking at planning a cruise to Bermuda for next year (before we even take our next crusie in October ;)) out of NY on the GEM.

When is the best time to go for the best weather? We want to be able to swim as well as sightsee in Bermuda. However, we don't want rough seas getting there or back. We want to avoid hurricanes and bad storms, but still want the water warm enough to swim.

We do not have kids so we don't need to worry about only going during summer vacation.

Any ideas? Can we have everything?

Thanks,

Joy and Brad

My DH & I have gone the 2nd week of August. The water was calm it was like glass. As far as swimming we went to Horseshoe Bay & the water was perfect. The temperture of the water was refreshing. I can't wait to go again. Were booked Aug 8th.

The cab drivers will tell you September in thru mid October. It's still really warm and the crowds are down.

I wouldn't go in April or May. To much of a chance for rough seas and the water temp is still cold.

I have found late summer to be the best. The water is warm, and it is prior to hurricane season. I agree with the others, it is less busy. :)

So, I know the official hurricane season is June - November, but if you are saying late summer is before hurricane season, when does hurricane season really start in Bermuda? How about in the North Atlantic traveling from NY?

Will the water not be warm in June or July?

Thanks for everyone's help,

Joy and Brad

The water will be warmer in July and August than June or earlier. Of course Hurricane season does start in June. IMHO, September is when Hurricanes start to show up. I have sailed there in September without a problem. There is more of a risk, but lower fares. I think you will be fine if you go in the last few weeks of August.

Hope this helps.

I would not go in late October. We took the last cruise of the Majesty then and it was not something I would write about in my journal. Rain, tourist attractions closed. It was really a disappointment for us.

A lot of people claim October is great month because of the warmer water than earlier in the summer but according to this weather site, the sea temps are about the same.

http://www.bermudaweather.bm/

Scroll down and choose the date you want to see the historical weather for that date. Choose a date when the weather and crowds (think: are the kids in school) are best.

I just came back from there (May 2 - 9). It was less crowded, the water was a wee bit chilly for a lot of people (me included). Seas were rough getting there. The weather was nice - low 70's every day.

Been to Bermuda in June several times and once in October. We'd pick June over October any time! The seas were very rough in October and the nights were chilly. In June, we've spent hours in the water at various beeches with no problem. It's not too terribly hot yet, either.

And, keep in mind that the Atlantic Ocean is very un-predictable. Hurricane or no, the seas could be very, very rough one day and smooth as glass the next. So, the time of year doesn't really have much bearing on it (except maybe when a hurricane is more likely which would be late August through October).

If you are more inclined to hot weather, go in late August and early September. If you prefer cooler temps with lower humidity, I would opt for early summer or October.

However, we don't want rough seas getting there or back.

It's impossible to predict how the seas will be. We've sailed to Bermuda 9 times and have had anything from calm, lake-like seas, to 20 + foot waves. You have to be prepared for anything.

I go every year, as a cheap, last minute booked deal. My priority is my extensive shore snorkeling, so I do not consider before Memorial Day, or after very begining of Oct. I want the water warm enough so I can enjoy myself every day and be in the water for hours at a time. :)

The Portuguese man of War are abundant in early summer. Not Good to swim with.

Weather is always unpredictable. Bermuda is always fantastic. I vote for Sept. Oct. J.M.O.

I almost "ran" into one snorkeling in Sept. my partner doesn't use fins, and if I hadn't had them, I'd been into that Man of War, as I was coming around a blind ledge. :) There can be a ton of jelly fish as well. But I really like snorkeling over the top of them- just floating, and seeing all the "workings" of their bodies. :)

We are looking at planning a cruise to Bermuda for next year (before we even take our next crusie in October ;)) out of NY on the GEM.

When is the best time to go for the best weather? We want to be able to swim as well as sightsee in Bermuda. However, we don't want rough seas getting there or back. We want to avoid hurricanes and bad storms, but still want the water warm enough to swim.

We do not have kids so we don't need to worry about only going during summer vacation.

Any ideas? Can we have everything?

Thanks,

Joy and Brad

We went the end of October and I was not pleased. It rained while we were on the beach, etc.

We have been in June and July....I will go to Bermuda whenever:D I must say in July it was soooooooo hot in June very nice and water is not cold, but not like bathwater either. I've never seen any man of war or jellyfish in June or July. Never really had a bumpy ride on any of my cruises. Can I go to Bermuda now?:D Please...just like 18 days to go.

If you want to swim, June through September is the best time to visit Bermuda. It's in the Atlantic Ocean so the water can be chilly otherwise. Wonderful beaches. Horsehoe Bay is great but there are so many other beaches with fewer tourists. If you are worried about rocky seas, there are never any guarantees. I sailed to Bermua on NCL's Dawn and although a hurricane brushed Bermuda a week later (July) the sail was smooth even though there were higher waves than normal on our return to New York.

I almost "ran" into one snorkeling in Sept. my partner doesn't use fins, and if I hadn't had them, I'd been into that Man of War, as I was coming around a blind ledge. :) There can be a ton of jelly fish as well. But I really like snorkeling over the top of them- just floating, and seeing all the "workings" of their bodies. :)

I like to observe jellyfish behind the glass of an aquarium, from a pier, or the deck of a boat. I never want to be near them in the ocean----been stung.

Barb

Archived