Upgrade problem

SK2B

Hi, we have booked our first cruise on the Grand Princess for our honeymoon. When we booked in September we could only afford an inside cabin (C516 on Caribe), we are due to go on the cruise in August and looking at the prices of BB grade balcony cabins on the TA and Princess website, the cost is only an additional £300 per person. I called the TA today to ask about upgrading, they told me that Princess backdate the upgrade cost to what it would have been when we originally booked, meaning they would charge us £760 per person to upgrade now (BB balcony on Caribe).

I am shocked that they are able to backdate the payment to when we first booked, when they are advertising the same rooms at a lower cost. Has anyone else had this situation or got any advice?

We really want our honeymoon to be special, and have read that the Caribe balconies are the best ones to get.

Is it past the 90 day mark - have you made final payment? If not, you can cancel your original booking and make a new one at the cheaper price/better category. Otherwise, this is standard procedure for CLs. When the sail date is less than a certain percent capacity, they offer sales but to new bookings only. Happy Sailing!

I don't know for sure... but this doesn't sound right. On our upcoming cruise, we originally booked an obstructed oceanview room. Later, the prices came down for most categories, and we noticed that we could get a higher level, unobstructed oceanview, in a location we really liked, for only $10 more than what we were originally paying. We called up our TA and asked to have our cabin switched to this better category, and we got it for the new price. There was no backdating of the price for the better category. We made this change about a week before final payment was due.

Is it past the 90 day mark - have you made final payment? If not, you can cancel your original booking and make a new one at the cheaper price/better category. Otherwise, this is standard procedure for CLs. When the sail date is less than a certain percent capacity, they offer sales but to new bookings only. Happy Sailing!

They can't do this without losing their deposit as they are from the UK where we are much worse off than our friends across the pond in terms of cancellations :eek: OP - I'm sorry but I don't think there is much you can do. (PS - I am a massive Watford fan!! Come on you hornets :D :p)

I don't know for sure... but this doesn't sound right. On our upcoming cruise, we originally booked an obstructed oceanview room. Later, the prices came down for most categories, and we noticed that we could get a higher level, unobstructed oceanview, in a location we really liked, for only $10 more than what we were originally paying. We called up our TA and asked to have our cabin switched to this better category, and we got it for the new price. There was no backdating of the price for the better category. We made this change about a week before final payment was due.

Again.... different if you are a UK cruiser, booking with a UK TA :mad:

As has already been pointed out, the OP's case has NOTHING to do with anyone in the U.S. booking a cruise so any responses about what happens in the U.S. are not applicable. Those in the U.K. (and Australia) have very different booking and cancelation policies.

They can't do this without losing their deposit as they are from the UK where we are much worse off than our friends across the pond in terms of cancellations :eek: OP - I'm sorry but I don't think there is much you can do. (PS - I am a massive Watford fan!! Come on you hornets :D :p)

but people from the UK have their insurance included. it saves a lot of people $$$ (or pounds, rather) when things go pear shaped - like missing a cruise because of a volcano.

This is true, same thing happened with us. We originally booked a mini-suite and decided we had a bit more cash saved so would upgrade to a vista suite. When we called the travel agents who then contacted princess we were a bit stunned to hear we would pay the price that was available when we originally booked! Had we cancelled, we would have lost our deposit of several hundred pounds which in turn would have made it pointless as we would gain nothing in rebooking.

Theres nothing you can do. Princess definately backdate the price to the date you booked, negotiation will not work. I am a TA and they wouldnt even let me upgrade at a current price.

Unfortunately we here in the UK are treated completely different to our American friends. Once the deposit is paid, thats it!. Any changes or cancellations will cost!

:)

but people from the UK have their insurance included. it saves a lot of people $$$ (or pounds, rather) when things go pear shaped - like missing a cruise because of a volcano.

We don't have insurance included? :confused: You have to pay it separately. I actually have an annual policy through my Bank so pay nothing.

There are certain advantages to booking with an ABTA bonded travel agent, but thats not insurance, those are european laws that protect us.

That is incorrect. We don't automatically have insurance included. Insurance is only included if your particular TA has an offer of free insurance. This hardly ever happens due to FSA rulings on giving free insurance. Im a TA, so I speak from experience.:)

We don't have insurance included? :confused: You have to pay it separately. I actually have an annual policy through my Bank so pay nothing.

There are certain advantages to booking with an ABTA bonded travel agent, but thats not insurance, those are european laws that protect us.

I agree - insurance is NOT included when we book a cruise in the UK.

I pay for annual travel insurance and this is an extra cost for my holidays. And its not cheap!

I recently asked our TA to ask Princess if we could swap to BB grade as it was now cheaper than we paid for BD. They said no. I just fancied the bigger balcony.

Sometimes nearer the time you can get a reduced rate upgrade. It just depends on who you speak to.

I have a good position with my original cabin so I am sticking to that one now.

Hi, we have booked our first cruise on the Grand Princess for our honeymoon. When we booked in September we could only afford an inside cabin (C516 on Caribe), we are due to go on the cruise in August and looking at the prices of BB grade balcony cabins on the TA and Princess website, the cost is only an additional £300 per person. I called the TA today to ask about upgrading, they told me that Princess backdate the upgrade cost to what it would have been when we originally booked, meaning they would charge us £760 per person to upgrade now (BB balcony on Caribe).

I am shocked that they are able to backdate the payment to when we first booked, when they are advertising the same rooms at a lower cost. Has anyone else had this situation or got any advice?

We really want our honeymoon to be special, and have read that the Caribe balconies are the best ones to get.

Are you saying that it isn't just that you have to go back to the original cost of the category that you are booked in, but you have to go back to higher price for the upgraded category at the date of your original booking?

Bummer, indeed.

Archived