Alaska Cruise Choices

geoherb

We still have not booked a cruise for this summer to Alaska. We've sailed on HAL twice: once on the Maasdam and once on the Westerdam. We had a great time both times--and both cruises were to the Caribbean.

I was looking at the round-trip cruises from Seattle. The big difference seems to be the ships: Zaandam, Rotterdam, and Oosterdam. Is there any reason to book one over the other two?

The other difference is between viewing Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. Is one of those better than the other?

(We went into Tracey Arm on our Princess cruise to Alaska.)

The main difference between Yakutat Bay (with Hubbard Glacier) and Glacier Bay is that G.B. has more smaller glaciers than Yakutat. Hubbard is about five times the width of G.B.'s best, Margerie Glacier, and on a clear sunny day Hubbard is (IMO) far more spectacular than Margerie. But in poor weather the ship can still get closer to Margerie so that you can see something.

IMO everyone should see both in their lifetime, and if you can't swing a 14-day that visits both, just pick one and plan on going back another time. :)

As far as advice on ship choices: I've never been on any of your three choices, but for AK I would pick the Zaandam/Rotterdam size ship over a Vista (Oosterdam).

We were in the same boat as you (no pun intended) when we were trying to decide. We are from Vancouver, so in the past it has been the natural choice to leave from here. We have done AK 2x on the Ryndam, and a New England cruise on the Eurodam (basically a vista class). We really enjoyed all of the above, and really enjoyed the Alaska itinerary from Vancouver. We first decided to go with Seattle, so we could see Sitka instead of Skagway. That left us with Rotterdam and Oosterdam. Then we were really leaning towards the Oosterdam because the last ship we were on was about the same and really wonderful. After more consideration, we chose the Rotterdam because it goes to Hubbard and why not see something new. After having read recent reviews and having seen the Rotterdam in Vancouver last week, I am happy with our decision and think it is going to be a wonderful trip. Hope that helps by laying out my thought process of our decision.

We did a one way north on the Stantendam in 2001. Then a week in Alaska, Mt Mckinley/Denali and the train ride. Then rented a car and drove to Homer for two nights in a B&B. Really enjoyed the trip. Saw Glacier Bay and College Fiord.

This summer we booked the Amsterdam for the two week that docks in Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak Island, etc. Will get two train rides. Skagway and Anchorage.

Really looking forward to that.

Both trips late July into August.

Enjoy your trip.

I prefer Hubbard and also, prefer the itinerary out of Vancouver...

However, for your choices, my son and his wife are leaving Sat. from Anchorage on a Princess (Coral) cruise that does BOTH Hubbard and Glacier Bay...great itinerary.

When we were at Hubbard on our last cruise, it was so foggy the captain couldn't get into the bay far enough for us to see it at all..dreadfully foggy! Boo hoo...we'll have to do it again;)

Alaska is my favorite place to cruise...so relaxing and always different.

By the way, Glacier Bay isn't nearly as impressive late in the season...MUCH better in May...so that would make me choose Hubbard also for you.

Whatever you choose, it'll make you return!

Archived