Rough Seas to Bermuda?

Editor

October a couple of years ago, Boston to Bermuda. We had the roughest seas imaginable - 30 ft waves hitting at the worst possible angle. TVs were crashing to the floor, gift shops were filled with broken Lladro and broken liquor bottles. Had to hold onto the fixed tables in the restaurant to avoid sliding all over the place. And there wasn't even a hurricane. An experience not to be missed!

You are in the open Atlantic so rough seas can occur at any time. We've done 5 trips to Bermuda, all April-May time frame and that seems to be the period when seas are the most unstable.

Was there last Sept. and they said we had the worst seas all season. I wish there was a time table to follow through with. All I know is , it was worth it!

As a Naval Reservist, I sailed down the Delaware River & out to the Atlantic one long weekend a month, for 8 years. And it could be smooth as glass or rough any month in a year. We'd leave Friday night & come back Sunday afternoon. Can't say where we went, but after leaving the Delaware, we never saw land until coming back! This ship was a lot smaller than a cruise ship.

Just saying, it could be rough or smooth. I've gone twice & I'm going again Sunday! Both times some people thought it was rough & I thought there was just enough of roll to rock me to sleep.

Hi,

I have taken several cruises to Bermuda. The sea has been calm for most of the trips, but it was rough during one cruise. Early in the 2002 Bermuda season (it was late April or early May), I did a Bermuda cruise on the original Pacific Princess (the ship featured in the Love Boat television series). The trip back to Bermuda was very rough (the gift shop was closed due to broken glass, the television set in my cabin fell off the dresser, etc.). Of course, this was a smaller cruise ship. I think the chances of bad weather are reduced for a cruise in late June.

Chuck

The waves you can't control but I think it is known for being rocky on that route. When the ship is going faster it is worse. On the way to Bermuda we took 2.5 days to get there so it was fine. The night we left Bermuda you could tell we were hauling tail so it felt rough. Be prepared.

Jenn

My friend came back from the Mother's day cruise--she was seasick the first and last sea days....but she never cruised before so no way to know if she was prone to it..

We will hope for the best in Sept (Labor day Cruise)...smooth seas & no hurricanes!

My friend came back from the Mother's day cruise--she was seasick the first and last sea days....but she never cruised before so no way to know if she was prone to it..

We will hope for the best in Sept (Labor day Cruise)...smooth seas & no hurricanes!

We've sailed in August to Bermuda 5 times now, going again this summer. Twice there were delays in sailing because of thunder storms, but it did not cause rough waters. These ships are made to take the waves, if you have a ny doubts, get a patch! Some of our group have used them, and no problem what so ever. Enjoy!

We've cruised to Bermuda the last 3 years and have really bad seas and okay seas. Not sure you'll find "glass" in the northern Atlantic, but I will say you will have a few bumps along the way.

Hey OP, we just booked the same cruise. Some really nice pricing on this one.

I was on that same cruise and there was just one night when the boat was moving a little....nothing to speak of at all........The SUMMIT can handle it......

We've sailed to Bermuda from Boston three times. Once in early June, twice in September. We had beautiful seas on the June trip, like glass. On the September trips, both rough seas the first day out until we hit around cape hateras. Next day, seas smooth, but not glass. It really is a hit or miss. Coincidentally, we've also gone out of nyc to the caribbean, once in January the other in October. The January cruise had the worst seas and the October cruise came in second place. Both very rough until we got to warmer water. Rough seas don't really bother me, but i think end of June you probably have better "odds" that you will have smoother seas than other times of the year.

The waves you can't control but I think it is known for being rocky on that route. When the ship is going faster it is worse. On the way to Bermuda we took 2.5 days to get there so it was fine. The night we left Bermuda you could tell we were hauling tail so it felt rough. Be prepared.

Jenn

Agreed. Going was fine, coming back we had a night to get there and they were moving and the waves were high, I wasnt sick but was not hungry either...

Just home today. We had 1 rough night. I don't get seasick but the

waves did wake me up in the night:rolleyes:. I get more annoyed than anything

else. I want to be able to walk straight;). Wonder if I have another

drink things will get better:D

Seriously, there was 1 rough night but I seem to just go with the flow.

All the other days were good:)

Just home today. We had 1 rough night. I don't get seasick but the

waves did wake me up in the night:rolleyes:. I get more annoyed than anything

else. I want to be able to walk straight;). Wonder if I have another

drink things will get better:D

Seriously, there was 1 rough night but I seem to just go with the flow.

All the other days were good:)

Yeah that one rough night was pretty bad; it last through the afternoon of our sea day, but that can be attributable to a bad storm that night and the next day. On our way home from Bermuda the seas were very calm and we did not feel a thing

Archived