Highest Category Obstructed Outside is Fully Obstructed?

BrandiGreg

We have a deposit on an obstructed outside guarantee. Today we got an Upgrade Notice saying we were upgraded from the lowest category of the obstructeds HH to the highest category FF...but when I look at the stateroom location, it is FULLY obstructed. Wouldnt the highest category of the obstructed cabins be the partially obstructed ones? Should I decline it and stick with the guarantee and hope they give us a partially obstructed? They are all the same size cabins so I dont see how we can wind up with worse. Comments?

The amount of obstruction does not necessarily correlate to the category. Perhaps because the deck plans would be a mishmash of colors; but some of the least obstructed rooms are in between lifeboats, every four or five rooms.

If you were assigned an HH upgrade, you can accept that but then ask to be moved to an available HH that is less obstructed. You don't say when your cruise is or on what ship, but keep in mind that many people who select their cabin choose those 'better' rooms early on...there may not be much available to choose from.

Yeah, as Cherylandtk says, cabin categories are all based on location: forward, aft, or midship. So you have to be careful when picking an obstructed view cabin. You could check on the Princess website by going through the booking process to see if there's an FF available that isn't totally obstructed* and call your TA/Princess (whoever you booked with) to get switched to that. Or you can opt to be thrown back into the guarantee pool and see what you get.

*bearing in mind that if six cabins show up as available in FF, chances are there are more than that available and you can plug in specific cabin numbers lower down on that page to see if one that looks good on the deck plans is indeed open. Hope that makes sense!

I always sail in an FF and have plenty of view even though my cruise personaliser calls them 'fully obstructed'. If you have your actual cabin number, go to the deck plans and see where you are in relation to the lifeboats and what size lifeboat is outside your window - the plans are pretty accurate. So long as it's not one of the biggest lifeboats, you should have some view.

FF cabins are closer to the midships and are considered a higher category than HH.

Archived