Silly question- any self laudry suggested?

We are planning a trip on VOS going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay. We have two little ones and on our last trip on the Disney Wonder, we were able to do a load of laundry which helped reduce the baggage.

VOS doesnt have a self laundry area- anyone ever did laundry or know of a place at a port of call? :rolleyes:

I recall reading that you can get a bag of laundry done for $25 bucks on board.. not sure if that is only on 7 nights or longer cruises. I also loved the laundry on board of the Disney ships! So handy!

I recall reading that you can get a bag of laundry done for $25 bucks on board.. not sure if that is only on 7 nights or longer cruises. I also loved the laundry on board of the Disney ships! So handy!

I agree, the laundry was great.

I wonder how much laundry you can get done for $25...

If you get a guidebook on your ports, not only can you find out about laundromats, but you can find out about everything having to do with your ports! Don't want to pay for an excursion? Get a guidebook!

We are planning a trip on VOS going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay. We have two little ones and on our last trip on the Disney Wonder, we were able to do a load of laundry which helped reduce the baggage.

VOS doesnt have a self laundry area- anyone ever did laundry or know of a place at a port of call? :rolleyes:

Forget doing laundry in any of those ports.

Just use the ship's laundry service, as suggested by others. Take a look at the price list in Patti's post (two posts up).

I agree, the laundry was great.

I wonder how much laundry you can get done for $25...

You can get done as much as you can fit into the bag. If you roll your clothes really tight, you can fit alot in. Comes back folded.

uugggg! Laudry on vacation! Dirty clothes pack as easy as clean clothes, and doing the laundry back home is just fine.

I'm pretty sure she wants to pack less, wash it and wear it a second time:) I do this when visiting out of town family or land based vacation.

uugggg! Laudry on vacation! Dirty clothes pack as easy as clean clothes, and doing the laundry back home is just fine.

The OP has two small children that are going on the cruise that's why the inquiry about laundry. Children can go through several changes per day. Heck, I know some adults that do the same.:D

The OP has two small children that are going on the cruise that's why the inquiry about laundry. Children can go through several changes per day. Heck, I know some adults that do the same.:D

thanks for the links.

I even tried to Google map the islands for points of interest/info- (pretty cool stuff...). I guess we'll pack heavy for the kids and light for us.

Despite what my wife says, I still believe a pair of swim trunks with a liner counts as shorts and briefs so I'll be ok:D

Last cruise I brought a travel size detergent. My daughter (7yr) had some favorite shirts that I just washed in the sink, not perfect but smelled better and hung them in the shower to dry. Others cruise when I didn't think about detergent we have just used the shampoo to address immediate stains on clothing.

So, none of the RCCL ships have a coin laundry? I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever do a 7-day. We've used the coin laundry on CCL the last 2 cruises to save on luggage. Also came in very handy the year we went horseback riding. Does RCCL ever do a $15 bag special? CCL usually has 1 day that they do that. I should be okay on a 5 nighter, but more than that, there will be lots of squishing.

That brings to mind, what about irons? Is there any place on board to do a quick touchup on your shirts, etc.?

So, none of the RCCL ships have a coin laundry? I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever do a 7-day. We've used the coin laundry on CCL the last 2 cruises to save on luggage. Also came in very handy the year we went horseback riding. Does RCCL ever do a $15 bag special? CCL usually has 1 day that they do that. I should be okay on a 5 nighter, but more than that, there will be lots of squishing.

That brings to mind, what about irons? Is there any place on board to do a quick touchup on your shirts, etc.?

There are no self-service laundry facilities on any RCI ship. This also means there is nowhere to do touch up ironing. Things needed to be pressed are 1/2 of what is shown on the price schedule If you try to bring your own iron it will be taken at the beginning of the cruise and returned at the end.

They do a $25 bag special which is Wash and Fold only and is limited to what you can include.

We always use the "laundry bag special". You don't want to spend time and probably the same amount of money finding and paying for laundromat services in one of your ports. I think the cost was either $20 or $25 for a whatever you could get into the bag. Roll everything and stuff it all in. The bag does hold about one load of t-shirts and shorts, especially if it is kids' clothes.

Thanks for the info, Patti & Jim. At least I have some obc available - not exactly what I wanted to spend it on. I know better than to try & bring an iron on board - plus I don't think I want to add that much weight to my suitcase. Now I will need to ponder my clothing choices more carefully.

Our Voyager cruise in January did not offer the $25 "bag of laundry" special. Perhaps our cabin attendant forgot to leave the bag. With children having a laundry area on each deck really comes in handy! Go to the port section of this website and ask about laundry facilties. Sometimes you'll get an answer from someone local.

Thank goodness for CC posts. There was I making plans for a 5 day cruise on the Grandeur between two other land based trips thinking I could do laundry on board. This is our first time with RCI and our other cruises have been on Princess where there are self laundry facilities.

So just to check, on a 5 day cruise we can still send some things to the laundry and pay the prices as per Patti's post but we can't expect the 'Laundry bag specials' Is this correct? I don't mind paying for the laundry to be done if that's how it works just as long as facilities are available on a 5 day cruise. :)

Bag special comes toward end of cruise, if I recall. They have a clothes line in the shower where you could hang lightweight item (swimsuit, underwear) to dry. This would probably work fine for small children. The bag really holds more than you would think and I just do NOT want to do laundry on vacation. That was one reason we stopped going the condo land vacations (washer/dryer was too handy). We always have a balcony and I carry a few clothes pins. I hang the washed swimsuit to dry on the back of the chair and secure with the clothes pins. It will dry in a couple of hours. We buy a few t-shirts as souveniors and PRESTO...new change of clothes. Be creative and save your vacation time..no one books an excursion to the laundry room :D

Thank goodness for CC posts. There was I making plans for a 5 day cruise on the Grandeur between two other land based trips thinking I could do laundry on board. This is our first time with RCI and our other cruises have been on Princess where there are self laundry facilities.

So just to check, on a 5 day cruise we can still send some things to the laundry and pay the prices as per Patti's post but we can't expect the 'Laundry bag specials' Is this correct? I don't mind paying for the laundry to be done if that's how it works just as long as facilities are available on a 5 day cruise. :)

That is something you would have to check with Guest Relations when you first board. But by knowing one way or the other, you can then plan accordingly.

It is a vacation. If you spent two hours in a laundramat onshore, that is 2 hours of work, not vacation....how much is your vacation time worth?

Splurge! Let the ship do the dirty work!

You are on vacation!!!!! Not some members of your family, the WHOLE family!

Bon Voyage!

I don't think I would ever do laundry in port - that would be a terrible waste. However, it's pretty convenient to do laundry on board. You throw it in the washer, go grab a bite, throw it in the dryer, do something else, then you have your clean clothes ready to wear again. Instead of $25 it only costs about $5. Our ultimate goal has always been to get by with just a carryon so we don't have to check our luggage at the airport. Don't know if that will ever happen, though.

Archived