what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

Trish, Whitehorse is the Capital of the Yukon territories and is roughly 30 miles on up from Emerald Lake. Go to http://www.visitwhitehorse.com. I hear it doesn't get the cruise traffic that other places get. We'll probably just do a quick self tour and a little shopping and head back. Glad Skagway is an all day stop for us.....Roy

Hi Roy,

Remember how I asked how much longer to whitehorse. Someone on another thread what talking about times. They said it's about 1 hour to Emerald Lake and about 2-3 hrs to whitehorse. Just thought you might want to know so you and plan.

I agree with Coral - I just got another order of Yummy Chummies for my dogs.

at http://www.alaskaadvantage.com/arcticpaws.html

For people, the sockeye salmon at Salmon Etc in Ketchikan was really good. The store was very small, but people were lined up on the sidewalk to order.

http://www.salmonetc.com/

When we were in Fairbanks on our '99 cruise, I bought a dark brown "western" kind of hat that I still wear during the winter and it is still in great shape. I always get compliments on it and it really feels good. It is conservative looking but not so much like the broad brim cowboy hats.

John L.

I believe the store in Juneau that sells these is Galligaskins. I think they have a website as well http://www.galligaskins.com . It is a local designer and each one is unique. We didn't get them last year and went to order them to send as Christmas presents and they were out! Very hot item. I will definitely get some this year.

Laura

Oh man, what a terrific thread. Just perusing through it I've made some startling revelations:

1. I would kill my mother for chocolate covered Oreos (Just kidding mom..:D )

2. My 3 labs are gonna be overwhelmed by the yummy chummies.

3. This goofy lookin chopper thingy my wife dragged home from a garage sale a couple of years ago is an ulu knife. This one has what appears to be an ivory handle engraved with a moose. (I collect moose stuff) And it only cost 50 cents!!

4. We didn't plan any shore excursions because we like doing the tourist shopping thing and planned on spending days in port split between photography, shopping, and the hot tubs on the ship which should be empty with all the other cruisers off on their excursions. I've been a bit concerned about this decision but this thread makes it seem like it's gonna all work out fine.

5. I'm not the only one that's missed out on something because I thought "I'll see plenty of these later in the trip" only to find out they were limited quantities and locations. Let me tell you a story about some beautiful Navajo hand carved wind chimes I saw in Moab, Utah once......

Thanks for the great thread folks, this one gets bookmarked for perusal in the 90 days till our cruise.

Alaskagain,thanks for that website...Ive heard so many different descriptions for the northern lights candles,Im not sure which are the real ones! But,I love candles so it doesnt really matter to me.For those that were looking for the hand painted Christmas ornaments,there are some pretty ones on this website.I will have to make a trip to this store.Thanks again Dot

I found them in Skagway at the very large store where they give away the Alaska baseball caps on the back wall by the cash register. Maybe another poster can recall the name?

I also saw them at several stores in Ketchikan. I think they're a pretty popular item. They also sell salmon jerky for dogs. If you have small breed dogs, you don't need many - there are about 100 tiny treats in each bag.

In the Yukon -- Cinnimon Bun, ice cream and pie. Other posts discuss these. Of course getting these home might be a problem.:D :D

I think getting them home will be the easy part. Its taking it off will be the hard part. Trish

I think getting them home will be the easy part. Its taking it off will be the hard part. Trish

I stand corrected. Of course they will get home one way or the other. Of course one could always work out on the ship.

The Cinnamon Bun thread on this forum is interesting. Murray reported that the bakery owners were thinking of closing the bakery one day a week, midweek. My wife, Judy North, visited their website and left a comment in the guestbook pleading with them to be open May 18, then she asked all other CCs to do the same. Murray just posted a second message saying they will be open when the cars full of CCs hit the Carcross Metroplex.