How long of a cruise do you enjoy?

basedow

Just for fun and fantasy, I'd like to hear how long a cruise you would like to be on, if money or work were of no matter. Would it depend in the part of the world you were in? What other reasons would generally make you want to return home? (A given is that the cruise is very enjoyable and satisfactory to you.)

In thinking about this I became curious about what others may think about their preferences. For me I believe 3-4 weeks would about do it. I would begin to miss family, friends and just the daily routine of home.

And you?

Don't know yet, really. Fourteen days is our longest so far, and I was glad to get home from the second one on Voyager, but on the Paul Gauguin it could have gone on forever.

Really, we're working up slowly. We had 6 seadays on our last Voyager trip, 3 at once, and that was enough for us. Then again, port days every day don't work on long trips either. Some day we'll try a longer trip.

I had the wonderful fortune to experience 71 nights on the Navigator Discovery Collection in 2008. Those 5 segments were so filled with exciting new ports, it didn't tire for me until our 3rd day crossing the Atlantic (about day 55). Also, I knew I had a family issue to handle when I got home. When we hit land in Rio, I forgot about it and enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

I enjoy a mixture of port and sea days and don't think I'd book a cruise with only port days again. The circumnavigation of South America is in my future 3-4 years down the road, but probably would settle for no more than 30 days away from home now. Don't think I would take a 7 night cruise anymore as they are just too short unless a land portion is included. Do you think I am spoiled!!!! :D

Just for fun and fantasy, I'd like to hear how long a cruise you would like to be on, if money or work were of no matter. Would it depend in the part of the world you were in? What other reasons would generally make you want to return home? (A given is that the cruise is very enjoyable and satisfactory to you.)

In thinking about this I became curious about what others may think about their preferences. For me I believe 3-4 weeks would about do it. I would begin to miss family, friends and just the daily routine of home.

And you?

Have done 7 days (too short) 18 days and two 65 plus cruises and didn,t want to get off, love the sea days and could take or leave some ports. Most main attractions are so far inland I don't feel comfortable riding on a bus for two plus hours each way so just cruising is our kick. Might just sign up and cruise instead of going to an old folks home:eek:

7 days is definitely too short, but our last Regent cruise of 11 days didn't seem long enough either. Our upcoming cruise is 15 which seems like it might be perfect -- I'm afraid I'd miss my family too much at this point if it were any longer!

For me - around 21 days. With lots of sea days, interspersed with ports. We had this on our Lima-BA cruise in 2008. It was wonderful. Except that I soon discovered that South America is not the perfect destination for me. So I would say, to achieve utter perfection, it would be 21 days in Asia... or a trans-Atlantic starting in FL and ending in the Med but "stretched" to be almost three weeks.:)

Thanks for all the great replies! It is interesting to me that first of all, everyone seems to enjoy sea days ( I don't particularly, or hoping I don't, as I've booked a 20 day , every day a port, cruise next fall 2011 ).

Nobody, except Dirtpoor, has said their dream cruise is a World Cruise.

I'd like to do two weeks, but our work schedules just don't allow it at this point in our lives. Having seen next year's cruises, it looks like Regent is trying to get rid of longtime repeat customers like us. :rolleyes:

I don't mind 7-day cruises, they're very convenient at times, especially in winter, in the Caribbean. In Europe we've only done one 7-day, and it was the middle part of a 3 week trip, so that was okay too. If you want longer you can do a b2b--we did this in French Polynesia once.

I only have one cruise under my belt - an eleven day one. Our next will be ten days in the Baltic in 2011. I think I could do longer and liked the sea days of which we had two on our first cruise, but I don't think the world cruise would be my ideal - maybe one its longer segments (twenty five days) would work.

Ok, i have to know, on these long cruises, is everyone really fat!? I have only been on a few cruises and I eat like crazy! I also exercise like crazy! But I gain weight. I am worried about my upcoming 7 day cruise.... Do you just get sick of all the food when you cruise so long?

Ok, i have to know, on these long cruises, is everyone really fat!? I have only been on a few cruises and I eat like crazy! I also exercise like crazy! But I gain weight. I am worried about my upcoming 7 day cruise.... Do you just get sick of all the food when you cruise so long?

Yes you do get fat, probably gaining an average of about 5 pounds per week. But you do get tired of all the food, even after a couple of weeks. We start skipping meals after week one, or having something really simple. Don't think you need to worry on a 7-day, just get into the habit of shedding that 5 pounds, or you're in trouble.

Now if I could just skip desserts, completely, then...

Our longest was on O to the Amazon -- 27, I think. I could live on a ship!!!! My husband gets antsy after 10 days. As far as fat, well it helps to start fat and that way it's not a big surprise!:) Actually, if it's longer than a week, we find we get very picky about food on the 8th day.

Fantasy, yes fantasy!

Perhaps people didn't see that, given how short the preferred cruise length seems to be for a lot of people. But perhaps 14-30 days is about it for most.

It is certainly fun for me to read what people enjoy for their cruises.

I would choose a World Cruise on the Voyager in a suite with two TV's (one for hubby, one for me).....Thus, probably one of the larger suites. However, I would indeed accept a regular suite on the Voyager and be just happy to do the World Cruise, anyway. I love the all inclusive of Regent (now including shore tours). So, perhaps one of these days we can experience my dream cruise of three months!!! Would go in a minute, if given to me. We try to plan at least a 14 day cruise......Seven days would be far too short for me!!

We've done 5 day (way too short), 7 day (also too short), 12 day (not bad but would have liked a few more days), and we're now looking forward to our longest in 2011, 15 days on Mariner. But if we're talking "fantasy" here...... I'd love to do a 25 to 30-day voyage, especially in Asia and/or Australia. Don't think we can handle anything longer than that, too many other things to do (like golf in the desert!). And I'd have to do a merciless diet before & after - not good at those. :p

Hambagahle...why did you find that South America is not for you? We are thinking of taking the Lima/BA segment at some point but I have a thought in the back of my mind that I may not like South America...don't know why, just a thought. Would you mind elaborating at bit on the subject? Thanks..PS: Just back from Lisbon and Madrid. And the lesson there is if you can't have fun in Madrid, you aren't really trying! What a town...

I've never gained more than a pound on a one-week cruise. Usually the shore excursions give me enough of a workout so I burn the calories. I also find that Regent's dinner portions are well plated, and you don't have to be a trencherman to be well satisfied.

7 days is definitely too short; did a 14-day Regent cruise, and it was fantastic, though I could have easily done 21-days (or more).

I love sea days, as port days are really frustrating: very hectic trying to get a good feel for the place, and you still end up feeling like you've hardly been there at all (I like to really explore a place I visit). Plus, I feel like I've not really capitalized on what is offered on the ship on those days. :rolleyes:

Would love to try a trans-atlantic, but maybe with a stop or two along the way to break up the monotony of the "landscape" and wildlife seen from the ship -- I love that Regent tends to do that.

As for fat -- I'm a big girl in the process of getting smaller (have lost ~45 lbs since last January) and ate/drank whatever I wanted (but tried to be mindful/reasonable with portions, etc.) on my 2-week Regent cruise last May -- gained only 1.8 lbs. Not bad! Did walk everywhere, including using stairs; used the elevator only when going MANY floors in a rush, or when wearing spiky heels and fancy duds on formal night -- and still usually took the stairs in those situations.

Archived