Soda and Coffee Cards

KayJay4

Hello all

We will be on our first cruise in August, on the Grand Princess (can't wait!!!)

I have see a few people mention soda cards and coffee cards and I can't see any details of them on the website. I wonder if someone would mind explaining what they are, how much they cost, and what they include etc?

I would be really grateful for any help.

We don't get the coffee card, but I can give you the details on the Soda stickers.

Standard Soda Sticker - $4.25 per day plus 15% gratuity. Good at any bar or dining room for unlimited fountain sodas, Shirley Temples and Roy Rogers.

Ultimate Sticker - $9.00 per day plus 15 % gratuity. Good at any bar or dining room for unlimited fountain sodas, canned root beer, juices, mocktails, smoothies, hot chocolate and milkshakes (available only at ice cream bar).

The coffee card is good for any specialty coffee and tea as well as hot chocolate. It cost us about $27. Of course, regular coffee and tea are free any time.

A clarification: It is good for 15 speciality coffees/teas and unlimited brewed coffees. It never expires and cards with punches remaining for speciality coffees can be used on subsequent cruises.

Soda card is NOT good on Princess Cays.

Ultimate card IS good on Princess Cays for smoothies, and juices. I paid $63 for a 7 day cruise.

Soda card is unlimited for all Coke products from the soda gun at bars, straw, cup.

Ultimate card is unlimited for all Coke products from the soda gun at bars, straw, cup, smoothies, mocktails, juice, virgin drinks, milkshakes (at icecream bar), hot chocolate, root beer in can. Just make sure you say "virgin" drink as the server did not hear me said that and was not happy throwing the drink away.

I really enjoyed the milkshake - 4 scoops of hard ice cream, milk, syrup with or without whip cream.

Thanks for the info. I have NO idea what a virgin drink, a Roy Rogers or a Shirley Temple is but I know I shall darn well have fun finding out!!!

Yeah, the virgin drinks have no alcohol. I asked for a list, and the bartender basically said any of the alcohol drinks in the bar book , but without the alcohol. I tried several. My favorites were the strawberry daiquiri and pina colada. Also, the dirty banana was pretty good too. Milkshakes were also good.

Mike

One thing I have never seen mentioned on these boards that I'm kind of curious about concerning the "cards". We'll be in Alaskan ports from 7am- 9pm (with full days of excursions planned) 3 of the 6(7) days, so I don't see how we would be "getting our moneys worth" with the cards since we won't even be on the ship those days. Normally, I would jump on something like that but once I thought about it I decided that we should just buy drinks when we want them. I assume its an all or nothing kind of thing? For instance, could you buy a "discounted" soda card for the last 2 days at sea?

One thing I have never seen mentioned on these boards that I'm kind of curious about concerning the "cards". We'll be in Alaskan ports from 7am- 9pm (with full days of excursions planned) 3 of the 6(7) days, so I don't see how we would be "getting our moneys worth" with the cards since we won't even be on the ship those days. Normally, I would jump on something like that but once I thought about it I decided that we should just buy drinks when we want them. I assume its an all or nothing kind of thing? For instance, could you buy a "discounted" soda card for the last 2 days at sea?

The Soda and Ultimate cards (really stickers placed on your cruise card) are priced based on the length of the cruise, regardless of whether you purchase them on the first day or the last day. On the other hand, while the coffee card is a flat price, it's essentially risk-free to buy it for use only a few times since the card can be used on your next cruise until all the 15 punches have been used up -- unlike the soda/ultimate stickers which expire at the end of the cruise.

If you drink more than three sodas a day, the soda sticker works out cheaper than buying them individually. Only you know how much soda you drink . . .

I always buy a coffee card. I save the old ones with one punch remaining and my husband uses that for the free brewed coffee.

It is a great deal for me, as they never expire, and I just bring them from cruise to cruise.:)

Does anyone know with the soda stickers if you can have a personal cup filled rather than getting a ship cup each time? We are planning on bringing on large insulated mugs and it would be more convenient if they would fill these for us.

We are cruising on Princess for the first time. I did not see anything in the threads about bottled (or tap) water being included on the cards. Does anyone know if those apply?

No, bottled water is not included in either card. A large (1.5L) bottle runs about $4.50; a 16.9oz bottle is around $3 (I'm fuzzier on that price; all I know is that the large is by far the better value!) Tap water is free and, since it's filtered, tastes just as good as bottled water, as does the ice. The only reason I buy the bottles is so I don't have to get out of my comfy deck lounger and go running back and forth to the bar for tap water refills -- I drink a LOT of water during the day! -- and I have a strangely irrational aversion to refillable water bottles like Nalgene -- they just have a high ick factor for me, can't explain it. . . . I'll stop rambling now. Hope I answered your question!

No, bottled water is not included in either card. A large (1.5L) bottle runs about $4.50; a 16.9oz bottle is around $3 (I'm fuzzier on that price; all I know is that the large is by far the better value!) Tap water is free and, since it's filtered, tastes just as good as bottled water, as does the ice. The only reason I buy the bottles is so I don't have to get out of my comfy deck lounger and go running back and forth to the bar for tap water refills -- I drink a LOT of water during the day! -- and I have a strangely irrational aversion to refillable water bottles like Nalgene -- they just have a high ick factor for me, can't explain it. . . . I'll stop rambling now. Hope I answered your question!

Thanks so much. I'm not much for fountain drinks and my daughter is pregnant so caffiene is limited. We are now planning on bringing on refillables.

Thanks so much. I'm not much for fountain drinks and my daughter is pregnant so caffiene is limited. We are now planning on bringing on refillables.

You're very welcome. For your daughter, they do have club soda and ginger ale in the bar guns, so there are some fizzy caffeine-free options if she gets tired of flat water. And they'll have some caffeine-free/herbal tea bags, so she can make her own iced tea, too.

Does anyone know with the soda stickers if you can have a personal cup filled rather than getting a ship cup each time? We are planning on bringing on large insulated mugs and it would be more convenient if they would fill these for us.

I'd be interested in this answer, too. I bring a travel mug and my own Sleepytime tea and make tea before bed. However, I also fill the mug with coffee from the buffet (a trick if you're under Code Red).

I've seen a few mentions of getting a coffee card for 'brewed coffee'. Is there a charge for a cup of coffee? Or is the regular coffee not actually brewed but made with powdered or liquid coffee?

I'd be interested in this answer, too. I bring a travel mug and my own Sleepytime tea and make tea before bed. However, I also fill the mug with coffee from the buffet (a trick if you're under Code Red).

I've seen a few mentions of getting a coffee card for 'brewed coffee'. Is there a charge for a cup of coffee? Or is the regular coffee not actually brewed but made with powdered or liquid coffee?

Most of the coffee on board is from a syrup-base... Most don't like it, but it will do in a pinch (sort-of), and it is free.

You can get brewed coffee at the International Cafe or other coffee venue, but it will cost you a little.

I also bring my own tea (rooibus---not available on board), and I call room service for hot water(they will bring 2 or 3 carafes if you ask_--- and I have them throw in couple of cookies, so they don't waste the trip!:p

All Soda Cans $1.95 + 15%. No Fountain Soda.

No free Cans with Soda Card.

If you don't get the soda card, how much does a fountain soda cost? Also, how big is it? Trying to figure out if the card is worth it. Thanks.

is the 15% gatuity on the daily rate or is it added each time you use the card? Do they have diet root beer in the cans? I am a diet dr. pepper addict - don't know what to do for 14 days on the grand without it!

Soda Cards & UKP:

Remember the cost is per day times number of days in the cruise. One has to buy it (pay for it) for the entire cruise even if you buy it on the last day. The 15% is charged on the the total price when one buys the card. There are no further charges when you order the drinks. Some leave a small tip each time if they use the same bar but it is not required. Also, your dinner waiter will bring you the soda without any charge and one can also request soda in the Princess Theatre. The level of service for the soda at the theater or on the decks with the soda card varies -- sometimes not so prompt because the individual server is not getting any sales credit or tips. And the card does not get you soda from Room Service.

is the 15% gatuity on the daily rate or is it added each time you use the card? Do they have diet root beer in the cans? I am a diet dr. pepper addict - don't know what to do for 14 days on the grand without it!

I do not believe they have diet root beer but perhaps someone else will chime in to confirm that (also, as a reminder, cans are not included in the soda card, only fountain drinks). If you're a Diet Dr. Pepper addict (and since my college roommate was one, I'm familiar the power of that particular addiction!), you can always bring along a 12-pack -- Princess has no prohibition against bringing soda onboard.

Most of the coffee on board is from a syrup-base... Most don't like it, but it will do in a pinch (sort-of), and it is free.

You can get brewed coffee at the International Cafe or other coffee venue, but it will cost you a little.

I also bring my own tea (rooibus---not available on board), and I call room service for hot water(they will bring 2 or 3 carafes if you ask_--- and I have them throw in couple of cookies, so they don't waste the trip!:p

Oh yuck. I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I will purchase the coffee card. HAL spoiled me for coffee that is brewed, good and free. And free lattes, etc. at dinner. I didn't get a coffee card because my coffee needs were served well.

Thanks a bunch for the answer, Tracie. By the way, I also love Rooibus, and often enjoy a cup of that in the afternoon, or while watching Wild Earth's Safari TV! I feel right at 'home'. Guess I'll throw a few bags into my luggage.

I have found the coffee card to be worth it to meet my needs. I always manage to scrounge up a 2-1 card (thanks the generousity of other CC members). The card never expires, so I have one that I have used for brewed coffee that will remain intact as long as I can keep it intact!

Enjoy your cruise and your "bush tea"! I know that I will!:)

Archived