10:30 Flight too early?

spjcruisin

Next January we are sailing on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. For our flight home there is a $110 difference PER TICKET for the 10:30am flight versus an afternoon flight.

Assuming the ship isn't delayed for any reason - can we make it?

Thanks! :)

Only you can decide that, from my perspective it is too tight, what's the airline change fee if you miss the flight? Do you want to be thinking about it the whole week? How long to check in and go through security and board. I would wait....

One big factor to consider is if any of the monster ships ( oasis , allure etc ) will be disembarking the same day . Ft lauderdale airport isnt normally that bad but adding an extra 6000 folks form that ship and it could get messy .. not to mention others..

I would say the risk is similar to a flight arrival at noon on the day of a 4pm cruise departure........ I always fly in the day before and always have my outgoing flights 11:30am or later at FLL...... I self disembark and would have been able to make that 10:30am flight most of the time but don't think it's worth the risk.

Bill

One big factor to consider is if any of the monster ships ( oasis , allure etc ) will be disembarking the same day . Ft lauderdale airport isnt normally that bad but adding an extra 6000 folks form that ship and it could get messy .. not to mention others..

Good point...hadn't even thought about that!

This will be my 5th CCL cruise and every one we have said to ourselves "too bad we don't have an earlier flight...we're going to have to sit at the airport forever!"...! I'm sure if I booked the earlier flight, this would be the time that something happened to delay us! ;)

Next January we are sailing on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. For our flight home there is a $110 difference PER TICKET for the 10:30am flight versus an afternoon flight.

If you have a 10:30 flight you will have to be at the airport by at least 9:30. I would not take the chance myself. Besides in my opinion it is much too early to book airfare for next January.

Assuming the ship docks on time and all goes smoothly I might try it. :)

You would have to do the following to get off the ship asap!

1. You tell them you have an early flight and you get one of the first off passes and they take care of your luggage.

2. You carry your own luggage off and you get out earlier than step 1. (I'd go for this one) Be prepared to be up and dressed at 7am to do this.

3. Plan on grabbing the first taxi you see. Do not use any other services because you will have to wait for the bus to fill up.

If you have a 10:30 flight you will have to be at the airport by at least 9:30. I would not take the chance myself. Besides in my opinion it is much too early to book airfare for next January.

I thought that too, but decided to check rates. For us (flying out of Des Moines) $350 (the higher priced/later flight) for round trip to FLL is a great price!

I would make sure I'm among the first off with express debarkation and get a taxi (plenty lined up outside).

We were at the airport at 8:15am in March, and there were 3 ships in port. BUT it was not a weekend.

-Lori

If no problems with debarkation your OK. You will have to bag drag. If your Platinum your off first, if not it will be 1/2 later. Don't know what time the ship gets into port and no games are played with inspections to get the ship cleared. Then go thru customs. Should be around 6 to 7am with problem could be 7 to 9 am. Its the roll of the dice. All up to you. We have had debarkation on some ships at 0730 and on others 0930. Have a nice cruise and good luck.

With all the changes in the airline industry, you can expect some changes to flight plans between now and January. That happened to us last year. The flight time changed twice over a 3 month period; only about 15 minutes each time, normally no big deal. But the changes made our connections really close, and then there were weather delays....all in all we spent hours at the customer service desk and oh how I wished I booked us on a flight with more wiggle room for time!

I booked a 10:30 flight from FLL next January as the next available flight wasn't until late afternoon and we wouldn't get home until 10:00pm or later. We will do the express baggage/boarding pass thing if available, then just walk through security. Otherwise, we'll self-disembark, catch a cab (10 minute ride) and hope we make it. We've been at the airport by 8:00 on several occasions, so I think it's doable from FLL.

I wouldn't do it. Anything before noon is too early IMO.

I'm never in a rush to get off the ship anyway. I actually prefer being one of the last. I eat breakfast leisurely, relax in one of the lounges, and watch everyone else hurrying up just to wait in line by the exit.

Ok...so I am going to play Devils Advocate and say NO you will NOT make it! Seriously. What happens if the ship is delayed or a number of other things that can and do go wrong upon disembarkation day? Then you will be scrambling trying to find a later flight and possibly or probably pay out even more then the amount you might be saving now. Go with a the later option.

Certainly your call, but that time frame is a little tight in my book. The one thing that you do have going in your favor is that the airport is only a couple of miles away from the cruise port and it is pretty much a straight shot so travel time is very quick (avg. about 10 minutes)

I did it with an 11:15 flight out and was there in plenty of time, but we were the only ship in port that day and I took a taxi instead of waiting on a share ride.

Lots of things to consider, but I tend to shy away from flights out before 11. That's just my personal cutoff time so I don't spend my cruise wondering if I am going to make my flight back home.

Besides, I think I'd wait a little while before booking my air for January. Too many good deals might come along.......you know how those fall sales go!

I booked a 10:30 flight from FLL next January as the next available flight wasn't until late afternoon and we wouldn't get home until 10:00pm or later. We will do the express baggage/boarding pass thing if available, then just walk through security. Otherwise, we'll self-disembark, catch a cab (10 minute ride) and hope we make it. We've been at the airport by 8:00 on several occasions, so I think it's doable from FLL.

Paula - that sounds exaclty like our flight options...and we live in Ankeny! What cruise are you going on?

Oops...nevermind...just looked at your "cruise clock"!

Paula - that sounds exaclty like our flight options...and we live in Ankeny! What cruise are you going on?

Oops...nevermind...just looked at your "cruise clock"!

We're on the Miracle January 22. We live in Le Mars so have to fly into Omaha which is a 2 hour drive. We're landing in Omaha 5:05, which puts us home before 8:00 pm (depending on the weather). Not a lot of choices from the midwest. If we miss it, we'll just stay in FLL and fly home early the next day.

Unless something has changed with baggage express it's only available for those with flights that leave after 12noon. You wouldn't be able to do this with a 10:30am flight.

Back to the Op while I have never booked such an early flight in the past I'm tempted to try it in the future. It seems as if Carnival has gotten better with debarkation and self assist. We could have easily made a 10:30am flight the last two cruises our of FLL. If you attempt this make sure you have a list of contingency options in the event you miss the early flight.

Archived