Military Discount

Personally, I don't think their policy has anything to do with the Vietnam era. Think Iraq/Afghanistan where many in the National Guard were deployed short term.

After rereading your post, you may have a valid point since that was the era of the 2-year draft, and a lot of those returning from Vietnam were giving a 3-month early out.

Thanks for link

My husband served on the Intrepid during Korean war---a looong time ago. Now, all I can find is his discharge paper

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a DD214 and a pink dependent military ID ?

Thanks for link

My husband served on the Intrepid during Korean war---a looong time ago. Now, all I can find is his discharge paper

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a DD214 and a pink dependent military ID ?

This link will help guide you through the process to obtain the DD214, Pretty easy as I've used it to obtain copies:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

I just returned today from a cruise that I got a military rate on. I took a DD214 from 1976 that said I had 3 years 11 months 27 days active service in the US Navy. I was concerned that it said no discharge certificate was issued, since I had about 1 & a half years of mandatory reserve time to do. I also took discharge papers from when I actually was discharged in 1994! They never asked me about it, but I felt better having the extra paperwork.

I also thank everyone who ever wore a uniform for their service to our country. I'm proud of my 22 years of service to my country & I hope all Vets are as proud as I am.

I was told by my TA that there is no military discount available for this cruise?? Does that make sense.?

Yes, just like there are only a few cruises that offer senior discounts, there are only a few cruises that offer Military discounts. BUT keep watching the web site because often they will offer a Military discount for just a short period of time about a month before the cruise and then they "might" remove it again.

Thank you for your service to our Country! It is very much appreciated!

The military discount I got lasted 2 days, then went away. It came back later, but the price was $80 more than what I got. It kept coming & going, but it never got the price lower than what I paid.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all the responses to this thread.

I just learned about this discount and wonder if after final payment one can apply the new Military rate?

I just made my res. yesterday and made final payment.

My husband is not "retired" military, but did a 2 year active duty as an officer. I guess he qualifies? He is also active in MOAA.

I hope you don't mind my jumping on here with a question of my own. My husband is a veteran and eligible for the military discount being offered for our cruise on 29 August. I booked through a well-known online TA and called them this morning explaining that I only just realized we were eligible (I thought it was only active duty or retirees) and could I get OBC or cheaper upgrade or something for this. I didn't expect a refund but thought I might be able to get OBC.

The customer service rep was not at all helpful and only agreed to call Celebrity after my insistence. She then came back on the line and said that I would have to pay $500 cancellation fee in order to rebook and save $200. Fair enough if that is right, but wanted to check if it really is? Any way I can appeal this, or anyone had the same experience?

Question - when you go through the booking process to see if there is a discount given - will the new price say "military discount"....I am an honorably discharged Marine....(gulf war combat, too if need be).....its currently not offered on my sailing.....guess I will keep looking for an OBC!!

Not many benefits for my service...I will take what I can get!!

Here is a link to Celebrity's policy on who is/is not eligible for their Military rate:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/contextualHelp.do?faqId=2816

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what constitutes a "Veteran", but it's only Celebrity's policy that matters in the end.

Thanks for posting the link. I can always use a good discount.

BTW, what subs were you on. When I was in the Marine Corps, I had a chance to go on the USS Ulysses S Grant and USS Ray. Loved subs so much, I almost went into the navy when I got out of the Corps.....:):):)

Bob

Do you give a copy of your DD214 to a travel agent to receive your discount ?

That's what we did. Carnival offered a good discount for our 2007 cruise, and I just had to fax or email a copy of the DD214 to my TA for the discount to be applied. I think we had 48 hours from our initial deposit to submit it.

another question: I read the rules for the shareholder benefit, and it states that fares using special pricing may not be included for the benefit.

Anyone know for sure?

I was told that interline fares (military fare is one of them) do not qualify for shareholder benefit.

But it is easy to ask and the worse they can say is no.

I was told that interline fares (military fare is one of them) do not qualify for shareholder benefit.

But it is easy to ask and the worse they can say is no.

Getting the Military fare, the 55+ fare, or the resident fare has no impact on getting the OBC shareholder benefit.

Interesting, I read it as serving 6 months in a war zone OR 2 years active service. My DH was CG and served in the middle of the ocean. I guess sometimes this was a war zone if the seas were really rough. Not everyone served in a "war zone", but their service was just as needed and important.

Getting the Military fare, the 55+ fare, or the resident fare has no impact on getting the OBC shareholder benefit.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. : Investor Relations : NewPageTitle

In 2007, we had a 'military fare' on the Constellation. It was a very good fare. When I applied for the shareholder benefit it was not granted and referenced their 'shareholder policy'.

I'm not sure what fares are considered 'inter-line' but in 2007 military rates were inter-line. The above link seems to confirm this policy is still in affect.

Like I said before it is worth asking; but don't be suprised if the answer is no.

Well, I just asked: answer is the current policy....not combinable with the interline fares, which Military is a part of. Also can't be combined with the booking made on board disc. or any other discount graanted by Celebrity.

I still saved a bundle, and am happy.

Are the military rates which Celebrity may offer from time to time being confused with "interline" rates offered to active military folks through the/a travel arrangement with the Celebrity. This may sound confusing but I think(?) these are 2 different things.

BTW I have never had a problem in the past getting the shareholder OBC using a military rate, not the interline one.

I believe the rules for using Military, Fire and Police, Senior, and State discounts have changed in March. This is a fairly new rule, no "double dipping"! You can't combine discounts from X. Also, using the OBC from booking while on board. When I applied for my Shareholder, they sent me an email stating the new rule....it is, what it is.

Archived