What is "cheap"???

But how can you tell the difference. We ALWAYS prepay our tips with our final payment for the cruise. Sometimes I just don't want to eat in the dining room on the last night - it's sometimes just too much of a rush with getting packing done and getting the bags put out. BUT I always feel like everyone is watching me thinking - oh yeah, they are cheap, didn't pay their tips!!

That is the real problem, too many people with their noses in other people's business instead of just worrying about themselves.

But how can you tell the difference. We ALWAYS prepay our tips with our final payment for the cruise. Sometimes I just don't want to eat in the dining room on the last night - it's sometimes just too much of a rush with getting packing done and getting the bags put out. BUT I always feel like everyone is watching me thinking - oh yeah, they are cheap, didn't pay their tips!!

I didn't eat in the dining room on the last night of my previous cruise and didn't have that feeling at all. We had prepaid our gratuities and had already thanked our waitstaff.

The only time that I would be thinking "wow they are cheap" if is someone was sitting in the WJ bragging about not having to tip.

LOL - I get the same feeling also. But to be courteous to our table companions and waiters I will let them know we are skipping on the last night and will stop by the dining room on the way to the WJ or elsewhere and thank them for their service during the week. I feel like they appreciate the few minutes we take to thank them (along with the envelop I bring).

As for cheap - Others have made wonderful points on the subject. In a not very well formed opinion, it has to do with how much effort are you willing to expend to save a buck. Even frugal DH has realized that you sometimes have to decide - exactly how much your time is worth and is the penny pinching worth it.

It is different to set a realistic budget for a cruise, car, house, etc and live within it. I would call that frugal. To set a not realistic budget for the same and then cut corners, rules, or sensible options to achieve that budget is cheap. (for example - taking food off the ship for lunch, excuses for non tipping, stealing toilet paper, etc.)

The folks who want to put 4 adults in one inside - good luck - I think there might be some brain damage there. And will make for some interesting stories on the return.

Also - frugal vs cheap is frequently in the eye of the beholder. DH is Frugal, BIL is cheap! :D

Cheap is going on the Liberty of the Seas in November 4 day cruise for $254pp inside cabin and additional $35 off from C&A coupon. I have not booked an inside cabin in more then a decade but for $254 on LOS I could not pass that one up. Not cheap on our part but it was a great cheap cruise.

The folks who want to put 4 adults in one inside - good luck - I think there might be some brain damage there. And will make for some interesting stories on the return.

I can't think of a more perfect way to end a friendship.:D

Someone beat me to it...I was going to say I am 'frugal', not cheap. I am going to be cruising in an inside cabin with my DH, DD, and DS next May. I'm doing this so I can afford to spend money on other things as we've never been on a true family vacation and my kids are 11 and 6.

I think cheap people have the money and don't want to spend it and frugal people have little money and spend it wisely.

I just started clipping coupons and save about $50 everytime I shop. I think this is frugal. But I buy very good cuts of meat from the butcher and nice cheeses and the like because I love to cook and eat good food.

I just bought all my kids clothes for our cruise next year. Nice dresses for my DD and a vest and suit coat for my son, nice pants and polos and capris and skirts and shorts and t-shirts and tanks for my DD. It was at my favorite kids clothing store (GREAT quality) and everything was on sale for $4.99 and under and I had a 15% coupon as well as an additional 15% off. I bought 28 articles of clothing for $115.00 and they are all set for next year and will be dressed well for dinner and the like.

I think there is a fine line between cheap and frugal, but I'd hate to be called cheap because to me that is insulting. I am proud to be called frugal. I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Oh and those people that separate their 2-ply toilet paper- definitely CHEAP!:D

With all the $$ u save, I'd get another stateroom

I just bought all my kids clothes for our cruise next year. Nice dresses for my DD and a vest and suit coat for my son, nice pants and polos and capris and skirts and shorts and t-shirts and tanks for my DD. It was at my favorite kids clothing store (GREAT quality) and everything was on sale for $4.99 and under and I had a 15% coupon as well as an additional 15% off. I bought 28 articles of clothing for $115.00 and they are all set for next year and will be dressed well for dinner and the like.

Sounds great, my only thought (as the parent of 3 kids age 18-24) was that I hope you ended up with the right sizes for next year! One son grew 4 inches in six months, no lie. But great job!

I do the same thing with clothing for my family. Clearance racks take some time to sort through, but it's SO worth the effort. And my family knows that not only do I wait for sales/clearance at our favorite clothing store, but I also will not go in without a coupon!

I am really enjoying this thread. No arguments, just great ideas.

Sue

Cheap is what you are called by people who don't know how to budget their money.

If you saw a $300 price drop on your cruise that you have booked 1 year from now, are you going to call for the price drop? The person that wasn't monitoring price drops and paid $300 more will be calling you cheap.

In my experience, the example above is not being "cheap'. In American vernacular, being "cheap' usually involves interaction with other people, especially friends and even family. Some examples have already been given. Letting friends buy rounds of drinks (in which you partake) but always finding a reason to not buy a round yourself. Tipping, which has to be the most controversial thread topic on CC. In the States (yes, I am aware there are cultural differences elsewhere)..leaving a buck for the waitress, on a fifty dollar bill, is cheap (and assuming the service was adequate..insulting). Perhaps even worse, I know people that regularly manufacture complaints to managers of restaurants to get their (totally consumed meals) at a reduced price or even free.

I have friends that tell me of the time they had friends stay with them for a week. They were stunned that after purchasing, preparing meals and putting them up for so many days, there was NEVER a reciprical 'we owe you a couple meals out". They even asked the couple one day (when they had to work) to swing by the grocery store to pick up some stuff for a BBQ; they had the nerve to give them the bills and ask for reimbursement.

THAT IS CHEAP.

However, taking advantage of a price drop from a cruise company and rebooking at the lower price is NOT cheap. Those who do can now afford to NOT be cheap on the ship. :)

Mitch

People that shove food in there pockets so they don't have to buy lunch in port even though they know there not suppose to.:confused:
Maybe they are afraid to eat food off the ship for fear of parasites or hygiene reasons like myself and I'm not cheap.

Maybe they are afraid to eat food off the ship for fear of parasites or hygiene reasons like myself and I'm not cheap.

Bring prepackeged unopened food instead of food thats already opened. That would help the situation of taking food illigally off the ships.

Adri

But how can you tell the difference. We ALWAYS prepay our tips with our final payment for the cruise.

It's not up to me to tell the difference and I don't walk around the WJ judging people on the last night because I know MANY people Auto Tip. ;)

That's why I said "people who skip JUST to get out of paying dining tips" and I excluded those that auto tipped.

I feel bad for the servers who worked hard all week and then get stiffed on the last night. Not everyone stays out of the main dining room to pack :(

It's not up to me to tell the difference and I don't walk around the WJ judging people on the last night because I know MANY people Auto Tip. ;)

That's why I said "people who skip JUST to get out of paying dining tips" and I excluded those that auto tipped.

I feel bad for the servers who worked hard all week and then get stiffed on the last night. Not everyone stays out of the main dining room to pack :(

Right. Some of us never step foot into it in the first place.

Cheap or smart - present question fly out of FLL for $300 less than Miami for our Seattle trip - but have to pay for parking in FLL $20 X 10 = $200. Cheap or smart thinking????

My only beef about cheapness - is when a bill arrives after having dinner with another couple/girlfriend and you want to split the bill and someone says, I didn't order an appetizer but tastes all of yours. Say you are low on funds, but don't try and escape paying fare share.

One-way car rentals in FL are pretty cheap. That may be a better option.

Cheap is noticing that your cruise went down in price by $10.00 pp and posting here and calling the cruise line numerous times in an effort to get some kind of credit or something. Come on, it's $20.00 and to me isn't worth the effort, time or energy to worry about.

Prioritize is another element of this discussion.......I drive a 6 year old paid in full FORD...........but I cruise or take a nice trip twice a year:)

I like your thinking. We drive two paid for 5 & 7 year old cars and cruise 8 - 10 times a year. You have your priorities straight. :p

IMO, someone is being cheap when they are saving money at someone else's expense . i.e. skipping the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping, going to a restaurant and not paying your share of the bill (even though you ate the food), not offering to buy a round of drinks (even though several others have already done so and you had no problems accepting the ones handed to you), skipping the specialty restaurant onboard even though your spouse would love to dine there, etc.

If you skip out on just that last night, then you are worse than cheap.

Cheap is when you eat dinner ever night at the buffet so you don't have to give tips to the dining staff.

Archived